Tires on 06 Scram

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
OK, here goes. At the risk of starting yet another huge quarrel, my '06 Scram is going to need new shoes before long, and I'm looking at Kenda K 761s.
The PO on this bike put pure street tires on her when the original TWs wore out, and even though they work fine on the street, I still get a shot at a dirt road every once in awhile.
Found out the hard way my pure street tires are kind of dicey in the dirt. The only thing that saved my ass, pun intended, was some flat track experience.
I'm convinced I need a dual sport tire, even if only once or twice a month. Thoughts? Thanks Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
First let's make sure we've got this straight...

The Kenda 671 is a 'cruiser' tire, the 761 is a 'dual sport' tire - so I assume you're referring to the 761?

I have a set of Kenda 761's on my Scram, and have about 2k miles mixed 75% tarmac, 25% dirt/gravel. They handle both pretty well. The small amount of sand I've been through with them was tough; but then a 500lb bike in sand is going to be tough. For the price they're a good choice for the Scrambler.

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
Sorry, I'm a little goofy right now, been living in the hospital with my wife since the 26th of June, I ment 761s. I edited my original post. So you like the Kendas eh? I had a Kenda on the front of my pre-unit, and it was a quality tire, so when I was shopping for dual -sports and the Kendas came up I knew as far as it being a good tire, no prob, but didn't know how it would work on the Scram.
Most of the off road for me is going to be the typical country dirt road up to someone's house, and since it looks like it will NEVER RAIN IN TEXAS AGAIN, will be mostly loose soil on hardpack. I agree about the sand. The pre-unit, which is my avitar, is an old flat track bike that has been used for everything from drag racing to Evel Kenivel style jumping is not a happy dog in the sand at only about 395-400 pounds!
Thanks,Mike

Thrux181

Scooter
I like the Avon Distanzias. I ran them on my Buells and have them on the Scrambler. They stick good on the road ( though I'm not a knee dragger) and work well on the gravel forest roads.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Yeah, the Kenda's do a decent job of tarmac and dirt roads. I tested 'em down in the Carizzo Plain running 70-80mph on dirt/gravel on hardpack. Both the bike and the tires worked really well.

I do have a set of Distanzia's waiting for the time to come; but I got those for a *really* good price ($50! for the pair!) after the Kenda's went on. When you can get decent tires for around a hundred bucks for the pair it's a good deal.

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
Thought I'd input what I have on the Scram at the moment. Rear is a Dunlop 404, and front is a Perelli MT66. I have no complaints at all with these tires on the street, but I've been off the pavement twice with them, and you don't have to go far to realize that these tires were not designed for loose serfaces.
The bike had 11,000 and long change on it when I got it, and I suspect that this is the second set of tires for this bike.
The bike was so clean when I got it I can guarentee it never got off the pavement before I got it. But after all, it is a scrambler! And it really seems sacriligious to use a dual purpose bike as a cruiser.

06 Scram

Motorcycle superstore has decent pricing on Metzeler Tourance tires.

As far as tires on my Scram, it makes sense to go with the longest wearing, best all weather dual sport tires available. Cheaper tires wear out faster and I mount and balance my tires myself, so less often is better.

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
OK, so I'm finding a 761 in 19", but it says it is a reartire. Can I run the 100/90/19 that is shown as a rear tire on the front? I know with the old bias tires like the MT 53s and K70s we did that all the time.
I keep reading such bad reviews on the trail wings, are they really that bad, or is this from riders that aren't used to any kind of dual use tire, and find the feel a little disconserting.

Last edited:
Mike,

Yes, Trail Wings suck. I have an 08' Scrambler and switched to Bridgestone
BT501/502 BattleWings and they work great. These are the tires that come
stock on BMW GS models.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I see there are two different types of REAR Bridgestone Trailwings. I wonder if one of these is the one that gets the bad rap or is it both? I have actually had both. One on my V-strom (sold) and the one that came on the Scrambler. They are listed as TW152 and TW42. I liked the TW152 that came on the V-strom. Both are the same price on line. I only need a rear tire at this time and am curious which to choose??

I replaced the original TWs at about 2700 miles with Conti Trail Attacks. I've since put 9000 miles on the Contis and they still have decent tread left. I just ordered another set for $180 delivered from AMT. They're an 80/20 dual sport tire with a great tread pattern for the street. I'm not much for off road, but they're pretty decent on groomed dirt and gravel.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I replaced the original TWs at about 2700 miles with Conti Trail Attacks. I've since put 9000 miles on the Contis and they still have decent tread left. I just ordered another set for $180 delivered from AMT. They're an 80/20 dual sport tire with a great tread pattern for the street. I'm not much for off road, but they're pretty decent on groomed dirt and gravel.

That sounds awesome. A pair for $180. Excuse my ignorance but what is AMT?

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Man.. Thanks for that link. I got the tires for the price you said. These were one of my top three tires I was looking to get and by far this is the best price around.

You Rock!

menzies

Scooter
Amt

I have ordered several sets from American Moto Tire, the UPS guy usually pulls up in 2-3 days, no problem and good prices.