Seriously, where do all those titles go?

bbrovold

Scooter
I swear there are so many bikes on Craigslist that do not have a title. Just what the hell are you supposed to do with the bike with no title? And where do they go? Are those people just so stupid that they can't keep a single piece of paper in a place where they could find it?
For GOD's sake, be truthful and say " yes, this bike is a piece of shit and has no title, therefore I am only asking $50 for parts" instead of "this would make a really good bike if you fix the tank, carbs, seat, fenders, find the missing rear wheel, oh, and get a title for it, asking $1700.
I got mixed up in this once and applied for a new title which took forever. Then I sold it to a friend and guess what, he never registered it in his name.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Well, my Brother just picked up his T500 that has been sitting for 13 or so years in an underground garage. He knows he registered it in his name so he has to go to the DMV... in The Republik of Kalefornia.... and get a new title. Since he has been the owner for oh so many years it will be interesting to see the hoops they put him thru.

mark66

TT Racer
Remember George Carlin? All those titles are in 1 big box with all our other STUFF.:crazy:

DandyDoug

750cc
Most states have a provision to get a title if you do not have one. The process is usually difficult and long, there is a reason for that.

The only bike I would buy without a title would be a track only bike where I won't register it anyways.

Anything else...Title or GTFO

loxpump

Rocker
I would think if it doesn't have a title the price better be pretty low, but then I would want to make sure it isn't hot. An honest missing title shouldn't be too hard to remedy. I would think the owner trying to sell it would want to get that straightened out first.

drlapo

Hooligan
around 20 years ago i bought a truck load of BSA "parts" that I assembled into 5 bikes
as they were all pre 1970 no title was needed in CT

Texas, and other states, have a way to get a "bonded title" for a bike (or car, etc) with no title. They basically make sure it isn't hot, then you pay a fee based on the value of the bike or car, and you buy a bond for the title. I titled an xs650 in this way a few years ago. I think it cost me less than $200 and took a few weeks.

dschief

750cc
around 20 years ago i bought a truck load of BSA "parts" that I assembled into 5 bikes
as they were all pre 1970 no title was needed in CT

Yeah, CT "titles" have caused me grief. I was bidding on a 1975 RD250 in CT with a "clear title". When I asked the guy for the title, he tells me "bill of sale" only. I told him "no fucking deal then". He got pissed and "banded" me from bidding with him again. Stupid ass couldn't even spell "banned". A bill of sale is NOT a clear title!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I am always wondering about the title thing. Like everyone else I see bikes for sale with no title. A friend of mine has a small run down motorcycle shop. He took in an Escalade where the owner had died, the family had no title. It was not stolen, but for whatever reason they sold it to him very cheap just to get rid of it. He then filed a " storage lien" with a title company. The title company said that if it was stolen thing would not go well. I don't know if they would call the cops but that is what he said. They told him if it was stolen to just walk away. But it was legit. After about 3 months the title company got back to him - they got him a title. 100% legit. I can get the name of the title company if anyone wants.

whyme

TT Racer
I used these guys twice. Seemed really shady but it worked

http://www.its-titles.com/

They registered it in Maine. I got a Maine plate and registration, took it to DMV and got a title in my name. Was easy but you have to figure about $200-300 reduction in a bike price without a title.

They also have a no sales tax registration process for vehicles where you form a LLC in Montana...Anyone know anything about that??

Last edited:

LoVel

Two Stroke
Sounds a little shady to me.

I am not buying a bike without a title unless it is pre 1973 in Alabama. No title required at that point.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Hi All, being in Australia I do not know what you all are meaning by "A Title"?? In my state to sell a bike or car that is registered you have to supply a road worthy certificate and the last registration slip and then just fill out your details on a registration transfer slip and then the buyer takes all that to main roads and gets the bike/car registered in their name. If the vehicle is unregistered then you just sell it and the buyer can check with the police if it is stolen by giving a vin number and then they go and get their own roadworthy and register the vehicle themselves... no paper work needed just the road worthy. I have built cars up from bits and pieces ( Different chassis to body etc. All same model of course) and just go and get a road worthy and register them in my name, just as long as no vin numbers light up as stolen it is all easy as.

whyme

TT Racer
Wow...that's nice. If you come here you should visit a DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles) and check out all the bullshit we have to contend with...my state just ended vehicle inspections. I blessing and a curse. Lot'so pieces of crap driving around now ready to ruin your day

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
wow Jersey has no inspections? Wow.

Here in NY its the once a year opportunity for car repair places to rip you off and take your money.