• Kind of a pain

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • a freaking nightmare

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I actually don't mind going to my local DMV to get plates renewed etc. I swear it only takes minutes to get things done. I've had tense moments renewing my plates via mail. A couple of time they were late mailing back stuff and I was a bit nervous riding around with expired plates.

My brother in SoCal has told me about nightmares getting his stable plated and his cars smogged. I've had none of that.

How's your local DMV??

Bonafide

NBR founder
Easy Breezey.

Couple years ago, they built a new County fire station with a Tag Office built in (on the side) 2 miles from the house. In a 900,000 population County - it's nice to have as no one really uses this one yet. I renewed my tags yesterday. Walked in at 3pm, took a number, was the next person in line, renewed all my tags, walked out by 3:15pm. I only have one car that requires emissions ... and emission testing is handled by private shops. Took about 10 min for that before I went to the tag office.

What sucks about GA is this; they charge a personal property tax on vehicles based on their current value. New car tags can cost you upwards of $700 a year while a 1968 Shelby tags can be as low as $20 .. if you get an antique tag, then add another $35 to it. My new Triumph Tiger? The tag cost me $132 this year.

AceT100

Rocker
I use the local AAA office for 99% of the stuff I need to do, otherwise, make an appointment online in advance (I work odd shifts, so its necessary) and the staff are excellent & VERY knowleagable!

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Houston city of 5 million citizens and then 3 million illegals, and we have 3 DMV offices, maybe 4. It is atrocious. But I do most of my stuff online.

Get an appointment at my local DumbMV. Come back 5 minutes prior to appointment time and still have to wait for a couple a hours to get plates, etc. For every employee working a window, there will be three or four people just standing around :pick:. Total "cluster fuck"!!!!!! :mad2:

I live in SoCal and have gone to a couple different DMVs to get stuff handled...all nightmares. If you are a AAA member use their DMV services (provided its something the AAA office can do).

If that doesnt work make an appointment with the DMV. My last DMV visit to get plates for my trailer was an all-day ordeal. I got there when they opened and wasnt out of there until 3:45.

Mahart

Two Stroke
I get to go to the county tax office for registration renewal and plates. Barely ever a 5min wait.

I went to the DMV only to take my written test and apply for the "M" endorsement. That part did suck.

mark66

TT Racer
My local DMV is like...."kind of a pain". Most of the time your there for a while. But not like a half a day. I did have to wait an hour and a half for some one to come out to the inspection line (I was the only one waiting out there) to check my vin number.
I do have a feeling that I'll be going from "kind of a pain" to :mad2: because of all the new cut backs coming in CT. My local DMV is on the chopping block.

There's an independent Auto Title Services office near my house. There's 2 little old ladies that own/run it. I usually can get in and out of there in under 10 minutes.

This reminds me, the tags are about to go out on my truck...damn. There goes $70.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I've been living overseas for 17 years now dealing with other countries' licensing offices. I'll take our DMV offices over what I have seen any day of the week!

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Really good... no waiting. Almost always more clerks than customers. Just one of the many advantages to small town living. :D

slobinski

Scooter
Mostly a pain in the ass

Too few knowledgeable clerks on duty; most seem to be enjoying a long break. The routine stuff usually goes well if you have all your paperwork (get there early!!). Orygun is gradually putting stuff like normal renewals online, thank you.

One thing that pisses me off and seems to add delays, is the great effort we make to be multilingual; hey if you can't speak English, and need a translator, how the hell can you read traffic signs or respond to an officer if stopped? Why do we go to all this trouble?

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
I usually make an appointment with my local DMV office, and they've been good at honoring them. My last appointment was to take care of a title transfer on a bike I just bought, and was last week. Appt was 2:45pm, I arrived at 2:30 and - as luck would have it - they called my name just as I walked in. I was on my way back 3 minutes later.

To be fair, it's usually 30-45 minutes even with an appointment.

KingBear

Hooligan
Take an ugly government building, fill it with a bunch of humorless functionaries with limited education and even more limited communication skills, then force people to hang out there for hours doing what they could do in three minutes on the Internet. Yeah, that's the ticket!

oldmanjob

Scooter
If you hit it at the right time of day it is a breeze, other wise it may take up to 20 to 30 minutes to get in and out.

Ohio TT

Two Stroke
Ten minutes on internet to renew a car, a truck, and a bike. Stickers were here in less than a week. Piece of cake.

T-boy

Rocker
I usually renew by mail...3 weeks prior to expiration. No waiting. However; the last time I went to my local office to renew my driver's license, I waited 40 minutes only to watch a Spanish speaking couple walk in and get waited on right away by a translator????? Didn't seem right.