Minimalism sidecover airbox delete

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Well I've decided that after my last track day I'm going to completely remove the airbox and sidecovers so that the bike is see-through and just has those pod filters hangin out in space. It will will involve removing the rear portion of the seat underneath the cowl and extending the wiring to all be placed under cowl as well as going to a small gel battery set up. Removing the sidecover hanging apparatus, As well as fabricating a abs plasic or thin gauged sheet metal splash shield to go between the frame rails. It will end up looking similar to this minus the trick rear brake res.

awesomethrux2.jpg

It'll take me a bit to get there but I'm pretty stoked at what it will look like afterwards.

I will however for the moment be retaining the passenger peg/exhaust hanger bracket as I have predators. When the time comes I'll upgrade to the underslung D&D race full exhaust and remove the hangers to clean it up even more.

strokerlmt

Texas....that is going to look very cool......see thru bike.....just a thought but I just had one frame powder coated and I took off the lower strut for the passenger/muffler mount. Grd and filled and sanded. At least I got rid of half the weight. I have also grd off the Bonneville rear brake bracket sanded smooth and moved the brake piston to the main frame.
Good luck....it gonna look great.
LMT

mark66

TT Racer
Oh yeah..... that will be one sweet bike. By the way, I've been eyeballing those D&D underslung pipes.....I love em.

nohawk

Rocker
That bike looks real good, what mods have to be done the subframe to mount all the elec.stuff? Is a gel battery much lighter then a regular battery? I dont know much about them

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Alright, I never accomplished this. Now, however, I'm laid up with a shoulder injury and stuck in the house. So the project will commence. First step is gonna be to source parts. I'm going to have to find batteries that will handle the job. Also I need help from y'all here, do I need a capacitor-regulator to keep batteries from being overcharged and exploding? Where would I find such a device?

After the batteries and regulator thing are sourced I'll be wiring it all up to get the dimensions and layout proper. I intend to actually keep the rear seat useable and am going to fabricate a tray to go under the seat that will hold the batteries and all the other electric gizmos. It will be made out of sheet aluminum and be riveted together and painted black on the outside. The rear brake fluid reservoir will get a coat of black and be secured behind the frame downtube to be hidden somewhat.

Biggest challenge will be wiring this up proper so I don't end up blowing my junk off.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Sorry to hear about the shoulder injury. I run an A123 battery. 2 packs of 4 cells run in parallel ends up being quite thin. I think it would be possible to put all the wiring in a thin tray where the oem battery goes and stick the A123 battery in a pan back where the rear fender use to be. That way no wiring changes would need to be made and you would have see thru frame...

I redid my wiring using a Motogadget Munit which works well but was hours and hours of looking at wiring diagrams, more hours of taking apart the OEM harness, and more hours of wiring it up. It was really fun, but took forever. Never cut more than one wire at a time... Good luck and post up picts!

strokerlmt

Alright, I never accomplished this. Now, however, I'm laid up with a shoulder injury and stuck in the house. So the project will commence. First step is gonna be to source parts. I'm going to have to find batteries that will handle the job. Also I need help from y'all here, do I need a capacitor-regulator to keep batteries from being overcharged and exploding? Where would I find such a device?

After the batteries and regulator thing are sourced I'll be wiring it all up to get the dimensions and layout proper. I intend to actually keep the rear seat useable and am going to fabricate a tray to go under the seat that will hold the batteries and all the other electric gizmos. It will be made out of sheet aluminum and be riveted together and painted black on the outside. The rear brake fluid reservoir will get a coat of black and be secured behind the frame downtube to be hidden somewhat.

Biggest challenge will be wiring this up proper so I don't end up blowing my junk off.

Look at my "see through frame thread". You will see the tray I welded into my frame.
I have a mosfot rectifier bolted under the tray with the horn. The key wires were chased back/shortened and the ignition switch/key are bolted under the tray on the rt side. The kill switch and start button chased back/shortened from handle bars and bolted under the try on the left side. Then on top of the tray will go the rev limiter, start relay + the other 2 relays, fuse box is cut into tray so fuses face up for easy access, and a flat HARRIS Performance battery lies there. I have a head lite "off" relay so the headlite is off until the bike starts...then high beam low beam and the head lite turns on when the bike is up and running. The seat will come off and on with ease. I need more time to finish but when done you should be able to see allllll the wayyyyy through the bike.
Copy the tray....it seems to work.....
LMT

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I'll eventually get around to this too. I sorted my wiring and relocated the fuse box and brake fluid reservoir, but need a smaller batter to progress further. I probably should have gone with the 4" air filters instead of the 6" too!

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Look at my "see through frame thread". You will see the tray I welded into my frame.
I have a mosfot rectifier bolted under the tray with the horn. The key wires were chased back/shortened and the ignition switch/key are bolted under the tray on the rt side. The kill switch and start button chased back/shortened from handle bars and bolted under the try on the left side. Then on top of the tray will go the rev limiter, start relay + the other 2 relays, fuse box is cut into tray so fuses face up for easy access, and a flat HARRIS Performance battery lies there. I have a head lite "off" relay so the headlite is off until the bike starts...then high beam low beam and the head lite turns on when the bike is up and running. The seat will come off and on with ease. I need more time to finish but when done you should be able to see allllll the wayyyyy through the bike.
Copy the tray....it seems to work.....
LMT

That seems complicated. I just need a battery, I'm not gonna fiddle with a lot of rewiring, just gotta figure out how to put the a123 batteries in and how to designate one side positive and one negative, and as previously mentioned, manage not to blow my junk up. I did plan on making a sort of tray though, but not welding anything.

Craigore

TT Racer
question: how hard is it to relocate the fuse box to under the seat??? did you have to cut and extend any wires or was there enough room in the loom? i'm hoping i just have to remove the tank and peel back some of the electrical tape rather than splicing some length of wires in

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Mine is under the seat now held tight atop the battery by the rubber strap. Didn't require any lengthening, just some unplugging and replugging of harnesses to untangle the mess and then taping to clean it up.

Craigore

TT Racer
Cool, I'm going to give that a try soon. My fuse box is mounted uselessly in my aftermarket battery box (newbonneville.com), so inconvenient

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Cool, I'm going to give that a try soon. My fuse box is mounted uselessly in my aftermarket battery box (newbonneville.com), so inconvenient

Mine was mounted between two tabs sticking off my BC battery box. I actually folded the front tabs toward the midline of the bike and mounted my rear fluid reservoir there so it isn't facing broadly to the outside. Hides it pretty well and takes that big plastic mass away from an eye-catching location.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
To drag this back up, it is all gettin sorted tomorrow. Only real complication is the rear brake line having to be lengthened and figuring out routing. All tabs are being hacked off. New ballistic 8 cell battery that is tiny will be here, then mock up cardboard box to thin sheet alum. As for the rest of the wiring, re routing it solved all the problems and it will all fit under the seat. In the future I'll make some sort of splash shield to keep trash off the bike, debating on if i can screw something down to the swing-arm or not though.