Craigslist

Kframe

Street Tracker
When buying or selling stuff like gold or silver on CL, best bet is to meet in a bank lobby.
Way better than meeting in a parking lot somewhere.
Always wait for the other guy to leave, and then walk to some other store somewhere close and spend some time, don't go straight from the meeting place to your car to home, bad idea.

irishrider60

Scooter
I used Craig's list to sell 4 rims that were unique to SAAB. I listed them back in a few months back and although immediately I received a bunch of BS inquiries I did manage to have 3 guys who contacted me and really wanted them. The funny thing was it took a few months for them to inquire. I actually was thinking they would not sell but then I received 3 e-mails asking about the condition, sizing etc. Things you would ask if purchasing a set of rims. I honored the first guy who reached out, connected with him in a parking lot and completed the sale. I was frustrated with the initial garbage e-mails from various countries but in the end it all worked out. I agree with many of the other comments, you must use common sense, limit the information you provide. Just the times we live in.

cantilever

Scooter
I've bought 2 and sold 4 motorcycles through craigslist. You can get good deals, and there are decent people out there.

But being a free listing type site, the ratio of bottom feeders and total a$$hats to good people isn't a good ratio.... it is high. Same for anything that's free and you don't have to register.... alt.forsale forums as an example.

This is ignoring obvious scams.... I don't even count those anymore. Just wait till you start to sell something, have people who just don't show up when you take time to show the item or meet somewhere, they suddenly want to change terms of payment, the list goes on.

I've had better luck using the local triangle.forsale usenet groups. And that's sad (I only started selling stuff online in 1996 though)

KingBear

Hooligan
It is often said, "caveat emptor" or "let the buyer beware." What is Latin for "let the seller be armed"?

neuroboy

750cc
I'm also thinking (and pardon the generalization here) that buying a Bonneville is a different proposition to buying a 1000cc gixxer. . . different type of owner/buyer for the most part.

dschief

750cc
I'm also thinking (and pardon the generalization here) that buying a Bonneville is a different proposition to buying a 1000cc gixxer. . . different type of owner/buyer for the most part.

There is probably more truth to that statement than we will ever know.

I have, however, seen one listing on CL for a Bonneville in Pennsyltucky that the owner was selling too cheap. He claimed he had no title, the bank had it, but he was gonna sell it cheap as a parts bike as he was leaving the country and didn't care about the bank anyway. Can you say "receiving stolen property"? Sure, I knew you could!

Sal - i think our detectives have made a couple dozen arrests from stolen items listed on craigslist. One item was listed within an hour of the theft, arrested the douche 30 min later, stolen property returned to owner that evening.

That happened to my coworker. She had her car broken into and her GPS was taken. Within an hour she saw it on craiglist. She was smart enough to know and record the serial # on her GPS. She was even brave enough to talk to the thief. She then contact the police and the police set up the thief. They verified the item serial # matched and the thief was arrested.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Funny Stories!!
I've put up an offer for puppies and had some spode show up 3 hours late in my yard at 11:30PM after my family had all crashed for the nite.
An old Cadillac, a big mamma and her three teenaged picaninnies, who looked like they lived in their vehicle. started honking their horn waking everyone. Big Mamma told me that my Confederate Battle Flag kinda freightened her at first and that is why she honked. Just wanting them to leave I went ahead and dealt with them, writing them off as ignorant F'ers. It was only later did I fully feel that I just sold five pups to be the next practice session with someones Pitbull.
I'll never use CL to sell a dog again.

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
Funny Stories!!
I've put up an offer for puppies and had some spode show up 3 hours late in my yard at 11:30PM after my family had all crashed for the nite.
An old Cadillac, a big mamma and her three teenaged picaninnies, who looked like they lived in their vehicle. started honking their horn waking everyone. Big Mamma told me that my Confederate Battle Flag kinda freightened her at first and that is why she honked. Just wanting them to leave I went ahead and dealt with them, writing them off as ignorant F'ers. It was only later did I fully feel that I just sold five pups to be the next practice session with someones Pitbull.
I'll never use CL to sell a dog again.

The selling of pets is prohibited by craigslist.
Being a racist douchebag is up to the individual.