What happens to modern classics??

drlapo

Hooligan
A 500 single Thumper!!!! I'd love to see THAT!
I'd sell my left nut for one of them.

I have the '02 Triumph Centennial T100.
Triumph have produced and successfully marketed the 50th Anniversary Bonneville.
My son says he'll buy the Centennial Bonneville when he's an old fart like me.

Nuff said.

Triumph has a 350 sinlge in the works it's built in Thailand and is styled like a Street Triple

LA_Geezer

Scooter
I think sportbikes these days look like angry bees.

LOL +1, neuroboy.

Interesting thread; I would have loved to buy the Bonneville, but my own physical limitations meant that I had to go with the Speedmaster since its seat is ~ 3" lower. I have liked the Bonnie's look since I was a teenager in the late 1950s.

My knowledge of Triumph history is not all that thorough, but it seems to me as if the fact that the company did go out of business would be indicative of their own inability then to combine astute marketing with tech/quality advances in their products. Does the present company have a cash cow? If you think _yes_ then the Bonnie is probably it. But as buyers' tastes change it's obvious that Triumph will have to produce something else to replace the Bonneville.

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
I'm under the impression that sales of the the Modern Classics line were keeping the lights on at Hinckley, at least for a time. They are the bread and butter, a direct (if not formidable) competitor to an entry level HD. As the line has grown I'm sure the Urban Sport and Cruiser bikes are carrying their share, but for a time you couldn't find a T100 or Bonnie Black on a showroom floor with dust on it, if at all.

It's about the look

What most love about the "Classics" Series are the look and function. Many OEM Stock changes need to be made (and would be well received by most) as is well demonstrated by the sticky and commonality of several threads. Suspension, seating, exhaust and handlebars to name a few. These could all be easily introduced while maintaining the heart and character of the Classics. As was mentioned earlier, Harley Davidson has been building the FLH Series for well over 5+ decades and has had great success as such. Yet, for 2009 HD did a ground up redesign of the FLH Series including fully new frame and much sheet metal. A few years prior to the redesign HD introduced FI, ABS, cruise and more. However, the appearance has remained virtually unchanged with very subtle changes, which most agree truly "Cleaned up the styling". What did the redesign do? Vastly improve the handling/performance and safety of the product, all of which had been long discussed and mostly well received by loyal owners in forums like this. That the Classics are beautiful, mostly well engineered motorcycles is self-evident, but, there is much work to be done...
JMO

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Triumph is planning a single cylinder street bike. Probably between 266cc to 350cc depending on the market where it's sold. There is a small article in Motorcyclist magazine about it. The artist's rendition does not look like a modern classic though, more like what they call a naked streetbike. T100JIP

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/07/08/triumph-small-displacement-single-cylinder-rumors/

Awesome. I think this could be badass. I'd definitely prefer to see more of the modern classic styling than to see a mini street triple. We also could use a new little Tiger Cub off-roader. C'mon Triumph...DO IT!!!!

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I think sportbikes these days look like angry bees.

That's pretty funny... because some friends and I were restricting all our FB status updates to haiku this summer, and after the 'Lass and I went on Tito's sportbike ride at the Bash I posted this:

Shiny metal bees,
Buzzing down Vermont back roads,
In search of petrol.

:)

In the late 70s early 80s, Yamaha imported the SR-500 (a 4-stroke single), and Honda imported the FT-500 and GB-500 (both 4-stroke singles). None of them sold well enough in America to please the corporate "bean counters" and were imported for just a few years.

Last I knew, the SR-500 was shrunk to 400cc and sells well in Japan and Asia. As for the Honda street singles, I don't know if they're still produced in the far East.

I bought a SR-500 in 1978, rode it until it was worn out. I parked it in the garage and now I'm waiting to get the $$$$$ to rebuild it and wear it out again.

Suzuki has imported the "Savage", a 650 cc single, a good bike, but it is too cruiserish for my taste. It was still in their line up last year.

Street singles have never sold well in America, and I'd be surprised if the possibly forthcoming triumph single does either.

As for the Bonnevilles, I'd like to see mechanical/suspension improvements and weight reduction but no change to the basic concept

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Triumph is planning a single cylinder street bike. Probably between 266cc to 350cc depending on the market where it's sold. There is a small article in Motorcyclist magazine about it. The artist's rendition does not look like a modern classic though, more like what they call a naked streetbike. T100JIP

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/07/08/triumph-small-displacement-single-cylinder-rumors/

Two things:

1) a 350cc liquid-cooled single styled like a modern street-fighter is NOT a 'modern classic' IMNSHO.

2) No 350cc single will sell in sufficient numbers to make it worth going through the EPA hoops in the US.

I would go ride one if a dealer had one; but the cost would likely drive away any potential customers in this country.

.... Now a bike styled after something like a Norton Manx or a BSA Gold Star, *that* might interest some people here. Still a niche; but a more robust one.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Two things:

2) No 350cc single will sell in sufficient numbers to make it worth going through the EPA hoops in the US.

I would go ride one if a dealer had one; but the cost would likely drive away any potential customers in this country.

I would have to disagree; ECU and Japan standard are a hell of a lot more stringent on emmission/environmental standards but yet the 400cc and below frametypes are one of the highest sellers across the board. I think the question is if the bike companies think that they can small engine sizes in numbers rather than getting them legal on the roads.

ratlab

Scooter
the look is great-everybody that see's it loves it,but really disappoints with weak brakes,bad suspension and slow and for a twin,non torquey motor-many $'s later to address said problems, i have a bike i like,but triumph needs to throw some upgraded parts at it -just cause it looks like a classic doesn't mean it has to ride like one

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Yeah, that point has been made over and over. We don't know how many guys just ride 'em stock and like it just fine, those guys may tend to not post on these forums. As long as they buy the bikes in large enough numbers, thats what Triumph pays attention to.

I agree the stock shocks are fair to bad, think the brakes and motor are okay.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I would have to disagree; ECU and Japan standard are a hell of a lot more stringent on emmission/environmental standards but yet the 400cc and below frametypes are one of the highest sellers across the board. I think the question is if the bike companies think that they can small engine sizes in numbers rather than getting them legal on the roads.

I believe that in Japan anything under 400cc is regulated like a bicycle. So there is no compulsory maintanence every 2 years, hence lots of small bikes...

LA_Geezer

Scooter
^ It was something like that in France in the 1950s when I lived there as a teenager. You could ride up to 125 CC under 16, but the lion's share of PTWs on the street were either Solex or Mobylette 49 CC jobs. In the 125 CC class, it was mostly Rumi, Lambretta and Vespa scooters; I had a Lambretta.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I wonder if there would be any customers out there that would buy a Bonnie that the factory had breathed on. Say upgraded suspenders, big bore kit, 42MM carbs.

I wonder.....

Bullitt

Two Stroke
I'll betcha they could sell a "R" version. USD forks, big bore kit, 42MM carbs, etc. I know I'd be interested...

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak

You're going to make Bonnielass cry. She had a 500 cc single back in the day and kicks herself constantly for not hanging onto it! And she doesn't have any nuts to sell!!!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I believe that in Japan anything under 400cc is regulated like a bicycle. So there is no compulsory maintanence every 2 years, hence lots of small bikes...

Nope...that would be a 250cc and the 400cc is the most popular size for a road bike so they are paying full JCI on the bikes

I don't see a lot of 2500cc bikes on the roads...that is not to say I never see them but they are not in real strong number. If most people get down that low then they will just get a Honda Cub and trust me...the Cub is alive and kicking in Japan!

Last edited:
Yeah, that point has been made over and over. We don't know how many guys just ride 'em stock and like it just fine, those guys may tend to not post on these forums. As long as they buy the bikes in large enough numbers, thats what Triumph pays attention to.

I agree the stock shocks are fair to bad, think the brakes and motor are okay.

Count me in for bike is stock (well, mostly...no major upgrades) and I ride it just fine.

I do think Triumph should change the rear wheel, swingarm, chain adjuster set up to something like the Daytona 675 and make it a lot easier to change wheels out. I always have trouble with my Bonnie rear wheel when it comes time for tire changes.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I hear comments of better brakes, suspension etc but this is the natural progression of model updates when a new version is released and when you all ready know the present development of good suspension, brakes etc how do you advance on technology that is already 20 - 30 years old?? That is what I meant by a modern classic is limited in it's evolvement before it looses it's original concept. make the suspension better on the next model with some upgraded Koni's but it can get better for the next model, maybe a single shock full floater and upside down forks??? Now the retro theme is lost, the advancement is limited, Triumph should of just put better brakes and suspension on at the start. What I am worried about is that Triumph will keep making these bikes while they keep making them money but the quality may drop, they already have plastic badges on the Tank and I don't believe the finish of the Thruxtons is as good as the earlier models, why would you do that to a bike that is representing a classic? I just don't want to see them turn into a Honda CT110 and see my local posties buzz by on a Bonnie, cool.. yes but hey I don't want to be riding a postie bike. You cannot compare the modern classic against the HD FLH series or any other production run model as these bikes have never ceased production and then be rereleased based on a model that was 20 years prior the production stop. These bikes while retaining their original appeal and character can advance with each new release though it be suttel or major it can advance without goig against any concept but with a reintroduced retro classic based on a model in the mid 60's we have already seen history in the making and if these bikes were to advance with suspension and brakes etc you would just have to fast forward to the present date as all the technology is now and then as mentioned the entire concept of the reintroduction of the modern classic or basically a tribute bike is lost. These bikes provide a great blank canvass to all who love them and personalise them and the bikes look great in so many forms, I myself have taken great lengths to age mine even more to the 59 model and my Thruxton has the true mid 60's cafe racer feel with a half fairing etc but this is were the factory cannot do any sort of improvements because it just means proggression / advancement and this is already lost in a 20 -30 year time gap. It would be great to see a special edition model Thruxton released by the factory with a half if not full fairing, swept back pipes over the engine covers, suspension that was adjustable to every condition and an engine that had balls with brakes to match and the same with the Bonnie, a special edition release with a bit more power and with out all the ugly indicators and tail lights. Whether these would be short run specials I don't know but it would be an improvement on just releasing a special edition model with a different paint job. In my personal opinion and I will probably get beat up for this but I think when there is the release of a modern classic or a retro version model or a tribute model, what ever you want to call them that the factory should do a limited run before it gets old and boring. That way the bike does become a classic within it's on right and retains a respect for the model and then after the run is finished and you want one you have to go looking for it (Can't just go down the dealer and get a Jaffa Z1 or a 1000cc Katana). I as an owner do not rush down to the Triumph dealers to see the new Bonnies each year as I know it will be not much different to mine and if I did decide to upgrade knowing that the newer bike would offer nothing different in ride, suspension or brakes I would possibly go to a different model such as a Tiger otherwise I would just keep rebuilding mine. I know with the release of the new bikes every year allows more people to keep on buying them and adding to the ranks but are many current owners up grading their bikes to a new one or just keep riding and rebuilding the one they have? As mentioned if Triumph do keep releasing these bikes I just hope they keep the standards and quality high to keep the respect of the name and they should put the steel badges back on the Tank the cheap arses. Guys I ride with are already calling them Twiumphs because of them being made in Tiawan.