Managed to kick the habit... sorta.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
At age 52, I finally managed to give up cigarettes for good this time (I haven't had a smoke in over 6 weeks). I've tried most of the gimmicks out there, but none of them worked for me. I tried going cold turkey many times in the past, and that was always too much like torture. So I tried a product that some may not have heard of...Snus. For me it wasn't the habit of smoking, but a true addiction to nicotine. After 30 years of smoking, I was getting tired of wheezing myself to sleep at night. I needed to do something... anything. :confused:

I thought I would try smokeless tobacco as a substitute for a while. Snus is both smokeless and spitless, so nobody even knows when I'm using it. I no longer have to sneak outside to smoke while I'm at work. I can sit at my desk and get my nicotine fix in the comforts of the office. Just pop a little pouch of Snus in my mouth, and the nicotine withdrawls subside. Best part is the flavor. Camel makes several flavors to choose from (original, spice, winterchill, frost, robust, and mello), but Frost is my favorite by far. It tastes just like Wrigleys spearmint gum, no kidding. A tobacco product that tastes like candy... what a great concept!! :up:

snus.gif

So if you're a long time smoker looking for an alternative like I was, you might want to give Snus a try too. Camel and Marlboro are to only 2 brands of Snus packets that I'm aware of. While I smoked Marlboro cigarettes all those years, I believe Camel Snus is the Snus for me. I plan to ween myself slowly off the Snus, but that never did work with cigarettes. We'll see what happens... who knows. But at least now I'm not offending others with nasty second hand smoke. :gas:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Congratulations Lone Trumpet. Stick with it old mate. It's worth it in the long run.

I'm 63 and gave up smoking in 1978. I am now the worst kind of non smoker, the "reformed" smoker. I am very vocal when somebody lights up close to me in an area where smoking is prohibited. I can get downright honnery. I put it down to the fact that I know how much better one can feel for not smoking and I don't get why they don't see that.

Everything is soooooo much better when not smoking. Food tastes better, you sleep better, sex is better (if I remember correctly).

Wobbly Rod

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Keep going with it; I have been off the smokes for eight months after smoking for 25 years. It's rough and I still get hit with the urge to have still every once in a while. One thing that worked for me was knowing the triggers of why I wanted a cigarette. For me, it was getting out of the office or going out to the garage...in other words to have the peace and quiet around me that I quickly associated to smoking. Now I still go out to the garage to look at the bikes but with a lifesaver instead of a Winston...good luck with it!

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
Thanks guys... I never had a support network like this before either. :)

Kirkus51 - I thought about the electronic smokes a few times. Figured it might cheese off the bossman when I started firing them up at my desk.

Wobblygong - 33 yrs. WOW!! That's terrific, Mate. By now you're sure to have all the years back the coffin nails were taking away. And I already know what you mean about being a reformed smoker. We've experienced all sides of it... the good, the bad, and the ugly. I can't say I'm tobacco free yet, but I can make the claim of being a non-smoker now. That alone is a big step in the right direction.

B06Tang - I do still get the urge to go outside and lite up some times, just to get away from it all. Worst of all for me, is the urge I get first thing in the mornings. I would have a smoke before I could start my day. I don't start using now, until after I get to work, eat my breakfast taco, and have me a Dr. Pepper. Now if I could just give up breakfast tacos, and sodas... unfortunately, I'm probably addicted to caffeine too.

T-boy

Rocker
Keep it going Trumpet...wish I had your resolve. Giving it serious thought the past few weeks though.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
T-boy - I know you can do it. Wanting to quit is key. Check into a few of the many alternatives, and pick one you think best for you.

I never pictured myself as a "dipper". Drooling in a spit cup, and getting shit between your teeth... that's about as nasty as smoking IMO. Snus is nothing like that. I thought I was just being a tough guy by not spitting (no rude comments please), until I read it's actually marketed as smokeless AND spit-less. It comes in convenient little packets so no Hillbilly smile either.

I tried just putting down the cigarettes many a time. After about 1/2 a day w/o a smoke, I would become so irritable I'd lite up a smoke for the safety of those around me. Snus is a good way to avoid going postal on somebody just for being in the wrong place. If not Snus, try something else. I can't describe how good it feels not to be dependent on something that was destroying my lungs.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

strokerlmt

Hey Lone......I never smoked but friends that have say it is a horrible addiction to kick. Congrats...stick with it...
Press on
LMT

simpson

TT Racer
Never smoked (tobacco) but lost my dad to tobacco-related issues.

Can't imagine the personal strength it takes to quit. I admire anyone who accepts the challenge to quit.

Best of luck to all of you quitters!

-simpson

nohawk

Rocker
Right on Trumpet!! Im right there with you, I like the mellow flavor snus. I still smoke a bit but not near as much. I really need to take the next step and stop smoking entirely, it just seems to be those things in my mind i associate with having a smoke, like after meals and with coffee in the morning or hanging out in the garage...

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
LMT - I've been told by others it's just as bad as quitting a cocaine habit. I don't know personally, but I can imagine it must be true. If you don't smoke, please don't start.

simpson - You shouldn't be smoking... period. :nono:

nohawk - Ah yes... nothing like a relaxing smoke after a good spicy meal. I tried the mellow before I got with the frost. The flavor kinda reminded me of a Swisher Sweet cigar. Good on you for cutting back the cancer sticks.

LA_Geezer

Scooter
I smoked for 50 years; got all the way up to 3 packs per day, then had some health issues. My doctor put me on Chantix and it worked for me. I had my last cigarette on August 8, 2008, so I'll soon be coming up on my third smoke free year.

I'm not one of those reformed smokers, but I start gagging and coughing whenever someone around me is smoking.

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
3 packs a day, Geezer?? Damn!! That's more than twice what I smoked. I cut back to barely over one pack a day after Marlboros hit the $6 mark. It's a good thing you quit when you did. 3 packs a day would run over $500 a month now! Fortunately, I didn't have any real health problems myself, but my Dr. did offer to put me on Chantix every time he listened to my lungs. Sure glad to hear you quit BEFORE it was too late.

nohawk

Rocker
This thread has kinda inspired me. This might be the first day in years I have not had a smoke... Its not over yet, but so far so good.

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Nohawk,
Get an ashtray full of old cigarette butts and everytime you feel like a ciggy, LICK the ashtray.

That's what it's like for your wife or your girlfriend, or either of them for that matter, kisses you.

Be strong, stick with it.

My friend works for one of the big tobacco companies and he got me started on that stuff before it even hit the market. I definitely prefer the Snus over chew or dip. Fortunately I never got caught by cigarettes so I can't compare against those.

Grassy53

Scooter
Quit in 1993 after 25 years of ciggys. Everything tastes better including beer. :cheers:Guess it could be seen as replacing one bad habit with another.Still, its worked out I have easily paid for a couple of bikes with what I saved since. Thats a pretty good incentive to stick with it.

Rob

LA_Geezer

Scooter
3 packs a day, Geezer?? Damn!! That's more than twice what I smoked. I cut back to barely over one pack a day after Marlboros hit the $6 mark. It's a good thing you quit when you did. 3 packs a day would run over $500 a month now! Fortunately, I didn't have any real health problems myself, but my Dr. did offer to put me on Chantix every time he listened to my lungs. Sure glad to hear you quit BEFORE it was too late.

A big 10-4 on the money thing. What I've save by not buying cigarettes over 3 years could actually be thought of as the money I used to pay for my 2011 Speedmaster. But if you subtract out the extra money we are paying for gas these days...

Lone Trumpet

Street Tracker
This thread has kinda inspired me. This might be the first day in years I have not had a smoke... Its not over yet, but so far so good.

nohawk - That's great! And you're making progress in the right direction. Like wobbly said; "Be strong, stick with it."

Quit in 1993 after 25 years of ciggys. Everything tastes better including beer. :cheers:Guess it could be seen as replacing one bad habit with another.Still, its worked out I have easily paid for a couple of bikes with what I saved since. Thats a pretty good incentive to stick with it.

Rob

Rob - That's great incentive, I'd say. And I gotta admit it was a big part of the incentive for me as well. I went from smoking probably $7.50 worth of cigarettes a day, down to maybe $2.50 worth of the snus per day... that ain't bad IMO.