F3 Swap

strokerlmt

Son of a bitch! Lines are in and I put them and the rocket III master cylinder on today. Bled the system til no air showing through either caliper. No pressure. I've done each caliper 3 times after adding fluid and I'm not having any air bubbles, but still no pressure. I have the lever compressed right now.. other than making sure the bleed valve is up top (which it is) that's the only solution I've seen. Guess I'll leave it over night.

Pieman? Sweat? Tex?

I hate bleeding brakes......I found that when you think you have it ....then do it again...then when you think that has done it do it again. It pisses me off but it seems every time I quit and think it is done I did not bleed long enuff.
LMT

Keep at it. I like using one of these One Man Brake Bleeder things:

brakebleeder.gif

Available at any auto parts store for under $10

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Brakes are indeed a bitch, I left the cap off and mine compressed overnight then bled it again. seemed firm up just fine.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Alright, thanks guys. I left mine compressed last night. Going to check it after class today. If that doesn't work I'll remove the cap and do it again. I've read all kinds of methods.. tapping the fluid reservoir, tapping the lines, pretty much all trying to get the air moving.. Guess it's just one of those things you have to keep repeating until it works.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
On mine using a Mityvac, and then leaving the lever compressed over night gave me a Rock Solid front brake.

PieMan

Two Stroke
Wrap both caliper nipples with PTFE tape and screw them in the calipers, being careful not to wrap the bottom nipple holes, this stops air being sucked in or fluid being pushed out when using a syringe.

Use a syringe and tube on the caliper nipple and gently pump fluid up to the M/C. When you get the first sign of fluid in the M/C, stop and do the other caliper and pump fluid until the M/C is full, then suck it back out, but don't let the M/C suck any air back in. You may have to pump and suck fluid two or three times to get all the air out.

You should now be able to pump the lever half a dozen times and get pressure, then zip tie the brake lever to the twist grip and leave overnight. In the morning, cut the zip tie and pump three times.

Sorted. :D

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Checked just a few mins ago and I have some pressure. Enough to stop me rolling through the garage at least. Going to bleed a little to check for air.

If that doesn't do the trick I'll use Pie's method, and if that doesn't do it I'll fork out the cash for the MityVac.

Thanks!

Pie, I'm also on the '04 model. Looks like after I go back to black I'll have the usa brother to your bike. Without some of the sweet features like TiNi coated fork tubes!

I don't think you need a mityvac. Save your $40. I have one and it works no better than other methods listed here. It's good to have around but I wouldn't buy one just for bleeding brakes.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Yea that was a last resort. But the brakes are consistently pressurizing and compressing now! About to take a low speed ride to make sure before I take it out on the twisties.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I don't think you need a mityvac. Save your $40. I have one and it works no better than other methods listed here. It's good to have around but I wouldn't buy one just for bleeding brakes.

I don't know that I'd go out and buy one, but I can bleed my brakes from completely dry (new lines, MC, etc.) in under 10 minutes start to finish on the whole job and be on the road.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Finally got around to modifying the fender mounts and making the triumph fender work. Since the F3 fork mounting tabs were higher (and I didn't want to chance welding both to a lower location) the fender sat really high off the wheel and looked terrible. I ended up cutting the tabs on the fender brace above the stock holes and drilling new 1/4" holes. This brought the height down by a little over an inch. I like the way it worked out. The bobbed fender suits the F3 wheel in my opinion.

Tidied up the wiring and relocated the fuse box and master cylinder too since I've been running without side covers.

moto_0726.jpg

moto_0727.jpg

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Thanks fellas
I just picked up the thrux ears from the powdercoaters. Flipped the colors to keep the forks consistently black all the way up. Going to get around to them tonight or tomorrow. I lost the damn bushings so I have to make a run to the hardware store.

moto_0705.jpg

To:
moto_0730.jpg

Flipping them to lower the headlight..

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Looking good Jeramy. I'm super jealous. Wondering if you would sell me the current headlight ears you have on the bike now that you're putting on the Thrux ears. Let me know!!

Texas94fs

Hooligan
looking good man, ahhh im remembering getting mine all together. . .was a great thing to go out and ride! I didn't consider gaitors though. . . now I am i have to say, they look good. Well done

Savantjk

Street Tracker
looking good man, ahhh im remembering getting mine all together. . .was a great thing to go out and ride! I didn't consider gaitors though. . . now I am i have to say, they look good. Well done

Thanks! Your bike was the one that inspired it.. and I never would have figured the shit out without you and Sweat!

The thrux ears came out tasty!
moto_0731.jpg