F3 Swap

Savantjk

Street Tracker
It's an F3 super brace that I won on ebay for $40 shipped. Fit perfectly off the bike.. now, with the forks on the bike it appears that the bonnie spacing is just a hair less than the F3. I can't get the damned thing on.. the corners are catching. Debating on shaving a bit off the inside corners, but don't know how greatly that would compromise the braces grip on the fork lowers. Thoughts?

Pics to come.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
moto_0683-1.jpg

moto_0681.jpg

Fun fact: The stock caliper will bolt onto the f3 forks perfectly. My brake lines aren't in yet so that was my temp fix.

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
it depends how much you'd have to shave off, but I'm pretty sure that would crate stress points on the brace/fork tube connection, over time it might degrade the fork tube. what is the exact height you have of fork extending through the top triple?

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I measured the f3 fork at 31.5" and the bonnie at 30.75" not including top caps.. so I've got them .75" through the top. I know it's probably off because I forgot to measure the f3 forks until on the bike. I posted a bit ago asking Pieman if he recalled how much he left through the top triple. Are the bonnie and thrux forks the same length, just different rakes? Because I'm sure whatever you have would work then.

Those were my thoughts on the fork brace. It is probably about 1/8" off.. just a rough eye estimate.. but its a no go. When one is fitting the inside hangs up and the side sticks off on the other. Suuucks.

Gotta get the fender sorted too. I'm going to use the stock fender from the bonnie. I've aligned the F3 fender tabs correctly, but I've gotta bend the bonnie mounts in just a tad.

That looks great, but watch out for those speedbumps! Your exhaust is going to drag a lot I'm afraid. I got sick of it and hacked mine up!

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Sweat, I've already got your thread on the exhaust reroute bookmarked. Going to go back through it and document the cuts you made then bring it to the exhaust shop I use in town and see if they can do it for a decent price. It's fine with me so far, I've taken it up on steep curbs and such.. but I'm worried about when I ride 2 up.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Jeramy....looking very bad ass.....nice job...
LMT

Thanks Lach! I'd love to have the carrozeria's like you, but I had to spring on the mod with the most gain for the least cash. Things will look better once I get the wheels re-coated, but I figure I should wear these tires out first. Bought the wheels with a set of metzelers on em.

Also, I was looking through your pics of the BRG bike, what rear master cylinder are you using? I like the look of it. I'm getting ready to tidy things up and don't care for the cheapo looking stock unit.

This parts for everyone: Not feeling the grey on the bike... any ideas on a color? I know black would be sweet, but also thinking a color might look nice with the Triumph logo in black to tie it in. Same layout as the tank is now, different color scheme.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Got the superbrace on and brake lines are in.. now I've just gotta figure out how to bleed the dual system.

strokerlmt

Thanks Lach! I'd love to have the carrozeria's like you, but I had to spring on the mod with the most gain for the least cash. Things will look better once I get the wheels re-coated, but I figure I should wear these tires out first. Bought the wheels with a set of metzelers on em.

Also, I was looking through your pics of the BRG bike, what rear master cylinder are you using? I like the look of it. I'm getting ready to tidy things up and don't care for the cheapo looking stock unit.

It is just a stock rear master cylinder. It was a test for the "see through frame" I am making. I just cut off the stock mount bracket and put it on the back of the strut. Then just moved master back, mounted the fluid container behind the frame. I have a piece of an old side cover cut way done that hides the whole unit. My frame will have nothin but air in the guts.
LMT

strokerlmt

I just tack welded a bolt on the inside of the frame and used the stock container with a new hose I used a wing nut and loc washer so I can remOve easily I have no battery box now
Lmt

PieMan

Two Stroke
Looking cool Jeramy :rock:, those gaiters are BIG.

The top of my forks are level with the top yoke, as per OEM. I did try them 25mm and then 12 mm dropped through, but due to my riding position and bars I felt I was leaning too far forward, it may be different with ace bars like yours. Just personal choice. Best just to try in one postion for a couple of weeks and then change and see what feels good to you.

As for colour...........there is only black. :D

strokerlmt

I must have been looking at an older pic or something.. I was seeing a red round container.

the red round one is an after market. I went back to stock because it tucks nicely flat against the back of the strut/frame and hides there.
LMT
I will post a couple of pics when I get home.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Looking cool Jeramy :rock:, those gaiters are BIG.

The top of my forks are level with the top yoke, as per OEM. I did try them 25mm and then 12 mm dropped through, but due to my riding position and bars I felt I was leaning too far forward, it may be different with ace bars like yours. Just personal choice. Best just to try in one postion for a couple of weeks and then change and see what feels good to you.

As for colour...........there is only black. :D

Awesome. I think I'm going to drop the forks just a bit. I'm ditching the ace bars because they won't work with the forks raised any through the top tree. I had to put a 1" riser on the bar clamps that I luckily received in a trade a few weeks back. Thanks Easy13! I received some thrux 1" bars in a trade so I'm trying those today. Then I'll install the new brakes, which I am stoked about.

EDIT: Dropped the forks down to 0.5" above top triple, not including top cap. Just enough for the thrux bars to clear without having to flip them. Going to test ride it in a bit. To cowl or not to cowl? That is the question.

moto_0700.jpg

moto_0697.jpg

Painted in the lettering to tie in the brace to the front end.

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Well it went on easy whenever the fork assembly was off the bike.. but on the bike the spacing was changed slightly.. so the brace wouldn't simply slip on like before. I just fit it around and put the screws through and let them pull it together as a I tightened. Makes sense that it would be snug since the whole point is to hold the forks firmly together.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Son of a bitch! Lines are in and I put them and the rocket III master cylinder on today. Bled the system til no air showing through either caliper. No pressure. I've done each caliper 3 times after adding fluid and I'm not having any air bubbles, but still no pressure. I have the lever compressed right now.. other than making sure the bleed valve is up top (which it is) that's the only solution I've seen. Guess I'll leave it over night.

Pieman? Sweat? Tex?