Bonneville SE or T100 tall riders

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
My vote is T100. I'm 6'5" and this is one of the only bikes I can hop on and just ride without having to alter a whole bunch of shit so I fit on it. Spoked wheels follow the whole essence of the Bonnie...she's an old girl but a timeless beauty. Seriously...it's like putting an eight track player in a Dodge Viper...mag wheels don't belong on the ol' girl.

Kappy

Two Stroke
Only T100 -- I am 6'3" and I am still trying to change the front pegs on mine to improve the riding position but have not found a solution yet ( if someone has an idea please feel free to advice).

The SE seems overall shorter and as per my experience not as comfortable to ride when you are taller then the T100

austat2

Scooter
go the SE if its a bit cramped get the Thruxton gel touring seat it raised my seat about an inch and should still have change out of that gift certificate they`ll give ya

sportyone

Street Tracker
dude!!! No.... no SE .... just no..its tiny!!

that shrunken excuse for a front wheel!!!

No. You hear me? no. Get the T100 I am 6'-3'

In fact a Scrambler would be even better...

thank me later.

yeah +1 to that, the SE is a girls bike !! :eeek:

Kappy

Two Stroke
Congrats - it is good that you decided to go for the bike what you like. ( although I strongly recommend the T100 as it is the better version of our modern classics ) hahahahahahahaha -:)

How long do you need to wait ? Hope not for too long, he !

kappy

kappy

Kirkus51

Hooligan
FWIW. I ride a Bonnie, I've put the Kaw shocks on the rear (1 1/2 in higher on the rear). Then I insalled the Ricor Intimidators on the front (1/2 in. higher on the front). The suspension mods made my bike handle like night and day difference. The height of the bike is taller (my centerstand needs a boost with a 1 x12 board). If you want mags, get mags. I haven't had a tire go flat spoked or mag in the past 20 years. Just keep em inflated properly.

Hi guys,
still havn't got my bonnie yet :( hopefully I will collect her on the 14th of June :).
I have a question for riders with TORs exhaust:
Did you declare the mod to insurance?
Did this dramatically increase premium?
Cheers
happy riding

It's about U

Get what you like best, ultimately you're the one who's eye it has to catch. Trux rear shocks will make it a little more than 1 1/4 inches taller in back. I've read on this forum and elsewhere a 120/70-17 can be a direct mount up front, plus preload front springs for better/more height. Plenty of seat options, including taking your seat to a good scoot/auto seat shop for a custom fit/design to you at about the same (and many times less) cost than an aftermarket seat. Shop I used charged $200 for custom shaping/covering/padding to a VTX seat I had done and it was one great seat. I plan on using them again for my new Bonne. Good luck with your new scoot, which ever you get...

PS. The mag wheels are classic (and were an option) for the '70s Bonnevilles. They make minor punctures/flats on the road a simple 5 minute plug/air pump repair to get you home; not a tire/rim removal/dismantle, tube extract/patch (and reverse process) repair(or wait for service to arrive) :lol3:. Might be a consideration...

2v0dabs_2.jpg

Last edited:

08BB

Scooter
Could you provide the details on the Kawa shocks you installed and a lead or link to the Ricor Intims for the front. I'm seriously looking at how to raise my 08 Bonnie a bit too. I'm considering enhancing the stock seat a bit and lowering the pegs but then could have an issue with peg rash.

Thanks!

sportyone

Street Tracker
Get what you like best, ultimately you're the one who's eye it has to catch. Trux rear shocks will make it a little more than 1 1/4 inches taller in back. I've read on this forum and elsewhere a 120/70-17 can be a direct mount up front, plus preload front springs for better/more height. Plenty of seat options, including taking your seat to a good scoot/auto seat shop for a custom fit/design to you at about the same (and many times less) cost than an aftermarket seat. Shop I used charged $200 for custom shaping/covering/padding to a VTX seat I had done and it was one great seat. I plan on using them again for my new Bonne. Good luck with your new scoot, which ever you get...

PS. The mag wheels are classic (and were an option) for the '70s Bonnevilles. They make minor punctures/flats on the road a simple 5 minute plug/air pump repair to get you home; not a tire/rim removal/dismantle, tube extract/patch (and reverse process) repair(or wait for service to arrive) :lol3:. Might be a consideration...

2v0dabs_2.jpg

sure, that's all well & good if you want a 70s look, I prefer a 60s look myself & that look is much more accepted & admired by the older gen who stop you in the street or who form a small crowd around it when parked in the village outside a coffee shop, ready to tell their stories of riding times gone by ! Go the 60s look ! :) in the end it's what grabs you really ? :brit:

i think the mags in the 70s were an attempt by Triumph to try and keep up with the Japanese styled bikes of that time, but they never really took off, as they looked too much like a Jap bike !

IMHO, if your big guy or tall like me, the SE is abit too low, and if you try & add height, you may look like a your riding a mini bike, not to mention your changing the centre of gravity and the handling geometry somewhat ?

I read somewhere Triumph made the lower SE model to enter the height challenged ;) & female riders market. :shh: :cheers:

Last edited:

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Its all about the spokes. If it has got spokes its cooooooooooool. When the factory Started putting mags on and trying to achieve better handling with a smaller front wheel, this is actually straying from the original concept of the modern classic or do they want to repeat history and start improving/evolving............bloody hell here I go again, I think I said it all in the other thread, I will spare you all........................spokes rule!!!!!!!!!!

Just payed a deposit for my brand new pacif blue Bonneville SE can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

Enjoy it! In the short time I've owned my SE I've had seven (four guys/three gals, all definitely under 40 years old) stop to say what a beautiful ride it is then, talk/ask about it.
**Sportyone was right, the Wire Spoked Bonnie, Admired by the older gen who stop you in the street or who form a small crowd around it when parked in the village outside a coffee shop"

Mike M

Scooter
Having had old triumphs, 70's models, and now having had a 2002 and now a 2009 SE, I can say that the SE goes around corners better. I've modified the suspension, added a Corbin seat for my better half and a bunch of other goodies. I like the SE just fine, I'm 6' tall and weigh too much but that doesn't matter much as far as I can tell.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Could you provide the details on the Kawa shocks you installed and a lead or link to the Ricor Intims for the front. I'm seriously looking at how to raise my 08 Bonnie a bit too. I'm considering enhancing the stock seat a bit and lowering the pegs but then could have an issue with peg rash.

Thanks!

http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/triumph-twin-intiminators.php

I have 'em. they rule. no more nosedive on braking, and bumps don't rattle my teeth. I also put on a set of these:

http://newbonneville.com/html/ikon_shocks.html

if you're looking to raise the bonnie, I think some have looked into thruxton length shocks and front suspension parts as well.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Hello everyone,

I have recently passed my riding licence and I was hoping to soak up some of your knowlegde before handing over my savings to a dealer!

I learnt to ride on a 600 CBF honda it was good fun but not my style. There is no doubt in my mind, Triumph is the way forward.

However having spent hours reading reveiws and going through threads in this great forum I now have come to a dilema SE or T100.

I love the style of the vamped T100's that are on this forum but the only setback in my eyes is the spoked wheels.

The SE, for the moment at least is my dream bike however being 6 foot tall I am worried about the confort.

Thanks for reading,

John

Have you considered the thruxton also as it has the traditional looks but the ride hight is taller. The SE is quite a small riders bike I own one as I was gifted with short legs and I am 167cm and the ride is perfect but friends who sit on my ride who are under 6ft think its fine but the taller folk look too big for the bike. T100 and thruxtons have a taller ride hight so I think this may be the choice for you. Go to a dealer and ride both you will decide more easy that way. You can put a thruxton seat on a bonne SE as I have done to increase the ride hight as well. Hope this helps mate good luck!:)

sportyone

Street Tracker
Have you considered the thruxton also as it has the traditional looks but the ride hight is taller. The SE is quite a small riders bike I own one as I was gifted with short legs and I am 167cm and the ride is perfect but friends who sit on my ride who are under 6ft think its fine but the taller folk look too big for the bike. T100 and thruxtons have a taller ride hight so I think this may be the choice for you. Go to a dealer and ride both you will decide more easy that way. You can put a thruxton seat on a bonne SE as I have done to increase the ride hight as well. Hope this helps mate good luck!:)

Hello Ben, :up: