Frustrating and weird

nohawk

Rocker
Did you remove any part of the clutch while replacing the sprag clutch? You said that it doesnt look like the clutch was doing what it was supposed to do, what do you mean? I guess you dont see any binding or damage to the gears on the outer clutch. The way Im understanding it is the clutch is not moving? Sorry if Im off base.

"Plugs in, on the lift, I can find all gears and rotate the rear tire, hard in 1st easier as I go up which seems normal. When the cover is off and the sprag clutch is OFF, starter gears off, I can with a rag and strength on the main gear rotate the engine/pistons. With sprag clutch in it rotates and locks up the way it should. With starter gears back on with wave washer the starter rotates the starter gears and the clutch seems to not do what it is supposed to. Its a new sprag clutch. Is there any connection between the main clutch and the start process?????
Thx everyone"

strokerlmt

Did you remove any part of the clutch while replacing the sprag clutch? You said that it doesnt look like the clutch was doing what it was supposed to do, what do you mean? I guess you dont see any binding or damage to the gears on the outer clutch. The way Im understanding it is the clutch is not moving? Sorry if Im off base.

Hey Noooo...not off base. thx for looking and thinking. The sprag clutch is doin what it should do...I just wonder if the main clutch has anything to do with the shit I am tryin to figure out.
Thx
LMT

jimham

Scooter
hey there Strokerlmt, Have you ask anyone on the RAT site? You might want to try there. There is this guy named Forchetto who seems to be the wiz on the site. I am not sure but if you haven't figured it out yet there is a good chance he could help you out. It's worth a shot and my hopes for a swift resolve.

strokerlmt

hey there Strokerlmt, Have you ask anyone on the RAT site? You might want to try there. There is this guy named Forchetto who seems to be the wiz on the site. I am not sure but if you haven't figured it out yet there is a good chance he could help you out. It's worth a shot and my hopes for a swift resolve.

thx Jham......Forchetto and I have been emailing. He is a frigging genius. Has a great way of putting things in laymans language for dum shits like me. We are both stumped though. I am beginning to think the crank has broken ;-((
LMT

PS....the crank must be ok because when the sprag clutch is off I can move the pistons by turning the gear wheel behind teh sprag C

Did they weld the primary gear to your crank when they stroked it? Normally it's only pressed-on, but I've seen on stroker motors they have to weld it on due to the stroking/hardening process not allowing the press-fit to hold on tight enough.

strokerlmt

Did they weld the primary gear to your crank when they stroked it? Normally it's only pressed-on, but I've seen on stroker motors they have to weld it on due to the stroking/hardening process not allowing the press-fit to hold on tight enough.

Jeff.......that may be it. NO they did not weld the primary gear to the crank.
Thx....cover coming off again. More soon.
LMT

strokerlmt

Ok.....emailed bac and forth with Carlos. Sweatmachine might have sprung this one. Cover coming off oil out flush and tack welding. Man I hope this is it.
More soon......
LMT

So the primary gear may be spinning on the crank? Damn man.

It has happened before on stroker motors. The one I heard of was a Bonneville Performance 989cc stroker motor. It spun the primary gear on the crank and the primary gear had to be TIG'd to the crank. Apparently it was a relatively easy fix and worked just fine afterwards.

strokerlmt

It has happened before on stroker motors. The one I heard of was a Bonneville Performance 989cc stroker motor. It spun the primary gear on the crank and the primary gear had to be TIG'd to the crank. Apparently it was a relatively easy fix and worked just fine afterwards.

Fuckin AAAAA...Jeff wins the prize. At first the primary gear was just tight enough that when I turned it with my hands/rag the pistons would rotate. But obviously when I hit the starter with its gearing the gear spun on the shaft. Now that I have taken the fucking cover off 5 times and messed with everything and the primary gear is finally slipping on the crank with ease using my hand. Taking to the local weld shop and hopefully by tomorrow I will be running again.
Thx to all...especially Jeff for the ideas.
Lach

mikenva

Rocker
I told you that on rat net when you asked a few days ago lol. be carful when you weld it that the weld dont hit the breather plate or the sprag clutch mouting surface.

strokerlmt

I told you that on rat net when you asked a few days ago lol. be carful when you weld it that the weld dont hit the breather plate or the sprag clutch mouting surface.

You know Mike you are correct. I don't spend a lot of time on RAT although Forchetto is a wealth of knowledge. BTW the picture is of your gear welded. BTW2 we met at Willow Springs. You were sitting in your leathers by your bike and I believe your father or father in law was there. We spoke for a minute...I did not know it was you. Thx for all your help....
LMT

strokerlmt

Well I there. 4 small welds. Grd them down nice and flush. Put everything back together for the 5th time. re tapped all the wiring secured everything. New oil filter washers anddddddddddddd 2nd roll over she fired up as if nothing had ever happened.

Thx to Mikeva, Jeff, Carlos, Matt and Ernesto for all the ideas and insight. I had it about the third try BUT because the primary gear was just tight enough I could hand move it and the crank. Then with the starter motor it would spin on the crank.

So if you ever hit teh starter and it just whirrsssssss and the and sprag clutch are good I know one reason why the engine isn't turning over.

LMT