Frustrating and weird

strokerlmt

Looking for thoughts......
Cannot get the engine to turn over.....
With the cover off ...touch the start button...neutral lite / key on, the starter turns fine ...
gears turn fine.....
sprag clutch new.....
engine still will not turn over......
solenoid, kick stand, relay, start button, key, neutral ok
why won't the engine turn over ?????

I swear when I solve this I am going for a basic wire system....that is it....key on ....start.......I can remember to put my kick stand up like I did in 1969 and never had a kick stand accident.

Thx...
LMT

Easy13

Street Tracker
Is it possible the engine's hydrolocked, i.e., fuel in the cylinder(s)? Happenned to me once or twice back in my panhead days. Remove the sparkplugs and try it again.

MikeJackmin

Scooter
If the starter is turning, it's not a safety interlock that's causing the problem.

[Edited to remove secondary dumb suggestion, I misunderstood the problem]

[Attempt at sensible suggestion follows]

Is there a shear pin in there that might have let go?

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
please define "turn over" Is the starter not causing the crankshaft to rotate or is the engine failing to run?

strokerlmt

please define "turn over" Is the starter not causing the crankshaft to rotate or is the engine failing to run?

The engine is not turning over or engaging or rotating but everything seems ok all the way to the crank.
I put in a new sprag clutch and it is clockwise rotating counter clock it locks up like it should.
I put everything back together and tested before putting cover on and starter turns gears work the way they should.
Cover back on oil in.
Battery full, key, starter button, relay, starter gears not broken, sparg working right .....engine will not rotate.
So is it the clutch ?????????
Thx
LMT

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I suppose that I would be tempted to try pulling the plugs, putting it in gear, and seeing if the engine will turn via turning the rear wheel... though if something is hungup in there it could be a disastrous test...

strokerlmt

I suppose that I would be tempted to try pulling the plugs, putting it in gear, and seeing if the engine will turn via turning the rear wheel... though if something is hungup in there it could be a disastrous test...

I just found out you probably cannot find all the gears when standing still engine off. So on the lift I will rotate the rear wheel and see if I can get all gears. If NO then I think it has to be clutch or shift.
LMT

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
+1 to 2Monkeys thought. If the engine won't turn it could still be quite a few things. Pull the plugs and - if the bike has a centerstand (or you have a swingarm stand) - do a gentle 'hand' test in 1st gear. With no compression (missing plugs) it should turn pretty easily. If it doesn't, there's a more serious internal problem. Put it back in neutral and try the test again, if it still won't turn the problem is likely in the transmission somewhere?

Yikes!

strokerlmt

Plugs in, on the lift, I can find all gears and rotate the rear tire, hard in 1st easier as I go up which seems normal. When the cover is off and the sprag clutch is OFF, starter gears off, I can with a rag and strength on the main gear rotate the engine/pistons. With sprag clutch in it rotates and locks up the way it should. With starter gears back on with wave washer the starter rotates the starter gears and the clutch seems to not do what it is supposed to. Its a new sprag clutch. Is there any connection between the main clutch and the start process?????
Thx everyone
LMT

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
You're saying the starter is turning, right? But that nothing else is turning? Could you have sheared the starter gear idler shaft? Or maybe that shaft is spinning freely inside the idler gear for some reason?

strokerlmt

You're saying the starter is turning, right? But that nothing else is turning? Could you have sheared the starter gear idler shaft? Or maybe that shaft is spinning freely inside the idler gear for some reason?

starter spins and drives starter gears which drive sprag clutch gears which drive big gear/main clutch but nothing happens.
the sprag clutch locks up counter clockwise and spins clockwise.
where do I look next...
Thx
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5802.jpg
    IMG_5802.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5803.jpg
    IMG_5803.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5804.jpg
    IMG_5804.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
OK, pardon me for asking the moron questions:

Do the pistons go up and down?
Do you have a spark? Replaced the plugs?
Do you have fuel??

Eggman66

Scooter
This is eerily familiar to me in that I had this type of trouble with a small engine in a riding tractor. The starter would spin freely but would not spin the engine. In my case, the starter was defective which put a huge draw on the battery, which ruined the battery. Are your battery posts clean? good connection? How old is it? Ground?

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Yeah that does sound weird and frustrating! I bet you keep going back out and looking for that one part that you forgot to include when you put it back together, hmm?

I got nothing for ya, sorry. :( Keep us posted!

strokerlmt

Yeah that does sound weird and frustrating! I bet you keep going back out and looking for that one part that you forgot to include when you put it back together, hmm?

I got nothing for ya, sorry. :( Keep us posted!

ya know it is probably going to be something really stupid and simple knowing me the way I do ;-))))
LMT
Thx for all the comments and ideas...really appreciate