Smart phone pictures

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Was watching the news tonight and there was a spot about how when you take pictures with your smart phone it also records the locations that the pictures were taken and it's out there in the either. The spot showed how easy it was to get a location of where the picture was taken when posted online.

Now there is a way you can turn off the GPS on your smartphone pics. The spot was on 9news in denver. go to their site and they have instructions if you want that feature turned off.

Kinda spooky all these things you have on you that know where you are. Very Big Brotherish.

Gretsch

Rocker
It's a "Brave New World" we live in my friend. Good thing you and I are so close to the hills and can just drop off the grid. :lol2:

Bonniebret

Rocker
Last Thursday I was at a Q/A with Patton Oswalt and he was talking about comedians getting exposure now in the age social media and networking. At one point he held up his iPhone and proclaimed "I have more power here than Orson Welles had when he released "Citizen Kane".

Last edited:

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I have seen where mirrors are being replaced by cameras in the "interest of safety. Have far is it to black boxes on our cars/bikes recording where we go and our speed as well as adherence to posted signs?
Big brother is not watching. He is with us.

Bonniebret

Rocker
I think it's ironic we live in a world where people are so comfortable posting, blogging and Tweeting their whereabouts and the most intimate details of their lives but are concerned about privacy. I know it comes down to control but still it's funny.

Gretsch

Rocker
Cell phones have always been a tattle tale device. There is no privacy except between your ears. Whatevs.

I believe you wanted to say "whatever"...:lol:

And yes, I know it wasn't a mistake. I just cant resist giving the "Grammar Nazi" a hard time. :D

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Turns out Facebook has a filter that drops the GPS location when you post there.

Not to mention that when you post *here* your IP is logged and you can be traced.

Seriously, I don't get it. If you aren't breaking the law, you've got nothing to hide. So who cares? Everytime you use your credit card that goes in a database, too. BFD. And every time you go through an intersection with an LPR camera. So what? Have you experienced any personal degradation of your personal life experience because your cellphone can geotag your photos, if you want it to?

jphickory

Banned
name one single liberty of yours that has been eroded. One. Short of the liberty to commit a crime.

Government imposed securalism in schools and govt institutions.
Mandatory waiting periods to purchase a firearm.
Confiscatory tax rates on business and individuals.
Helmet laws for bicycles and motorcycles.
Seat belt laws.
ObamaCare.
Loss of private property rights.

I could go on....

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Government imposed securalism in schools and govt institutions.
Mandatory waiting periods to purchase a firearm.
Confiscatory tax rates on business and individuals.
Helmet laws for bicycles and motorcycles.
Seat belt laws.
ObamaCare.
Loss of private property rights.

I could go on....

1. Most of which pre-dated, and none of which have any relation to geo-locating technology, which is what the conversation was about.
2. You willing to forego the ambulance service and emergency health care and long term disability that my tax dollars pay for in exchange for your desire to ride helmet-free?
3. You can't plan your deer hunting trip in advance? Or do you think the burglar will wait for you while you run down to liquor, guns & ammo?

Anyway, I'm out. Too political. Let's ride! And, boobies!!!

jphickory

Banned
1. Most of which pre-dated, and none of which have any relation to geo-locating technology, which is what the conversation was about.
2. You willing to forego the ambulance service and emergency health care and long term disability that my tax dollars pay for in exchange for your desire to ride helmet-free?
3. You can't plan your deer hunting trip in advance? Or do you think the burglar will wait for you while you run down to liquor, guns & ammo?

Anyway, I'm out. Too political. Let's ride! And, boobies!!!

Yeah that's it - change the subject when you are out of your league. I could easily knock down each of your rebuttals but this is not the place, on that I agree.

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Yeah that's it - change the subject when you are out of your league. I could easily knock down each of your rebuttals but this is not the place, on that I agree.

Actually I opted out because it wasn't the place. It was you that turned it personal.

You go right ahead and "knock down the rebuttals" and support your implication that helmet laws and seat belt laws and "securism" in schools and firearm waiting periods and taxes are somehow a by-product of and came after cell phone geo-tagging technology. Or that Obamacare (which don't get me wrong is just as much a debacle as No Child Left Behind) somehow has something to do with said technology.

And where I live anyway I still have the right to own and maintain private property so your place must be different so I'll leave that alone.

Anyway, since I was posting from my phone I missed that I had omitted a couple word in the post that started this. What I'd *meant* to say was:

"name one single liberty of yours that has been eroded by the existence of GPS technology. One. Short of the liberty to commit a crime."

It used to be (back when Tom and John and the boys wrote that little ditty we like to call the Constitution) that freedom of speech meant you were free to walk out in public and stand on a box in front of real humans who knew who you were and where you lived and you could express any opinion you wanted to. At least that was the goal. But now folks seem to think that they should have the right to inflict whatever sorts of diatribes they can dream up on other people with complete anonymity and zero accountability whenever they want. I'm pretty sure that that concept wasn't part of the original plan.

KingBear

Hooligan
I don't agree with the notion that if you aren't breaking the law you have nothing to hide. There is a thing called privacy, and i am definitely an advocate of knowing your rights. However, there is no guarantee of anonymity or stealth when using certain technologies. Stamping and tracking are nearly as old as the technologies themselves. The fact that people are just becoming aware of it (and the geotracking of the iPhone pics is very, very old news) goes to prove how innocuous it is.

Only your willingness to abandone the technology will prove how much you believe it violates your privacy. I don't think Kodak instamatics ever tracked your position, and I bet they can be found cheap on eBay. :)

See this ten-year-old article if you want to know how it all started...

Last edited:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
.. there is no guarantee of anonymity or stealth when using certain technologies...

Precisely. So one needs to make their own personal trade-off. Use the technology and accept what comes along with it, or forego the technology. But to complain that somehow one has a right or the Govmint has an obligation to provide a version of the technology that *does* have that guarantee, that's the part I don't understand.

jphickory

Banned
Your unintentional omitted words make a big difference in the meaning of your post that I replied to. I agree that GPS technology is not currently responsible for the loss of any known liberties here in the US.

Private property rights are eroding in the US. Ask any farmer about the heavy hand of the DNR and EPA.