F3 Swap

My gaitors came from newbonneville.com and are wider spacing than ones fitted by Hinckley. i actually prefer them personally, and can see them on your beast. There is a pic in seat thread of them fitted on my bike.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Bummmer. To the PC they go.

All I see at Newbonneville.com are the triumph gaiters. I know bellacorse sales the bmw gaiters.. but can't recall if they are more or less pleats.

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Just dropped the fork bottoms off at the most experienced weld shop in town.. Hopefully they can hook it up. I cut off one of the fender mount tabs before sanding since they were different heights to accommodate the honda fender.. I am having it welded on level with the other tab. If the space isn't correct for the Triumph fender, I'm going to make some straight brackets that won't be seen to mount to.

I think I like the less pleats as far as gaiters go for my bike.
Anyone know where I can find a set like this that they aren't as proud of? $70 for gaiters seems steep.

http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc046.htm

All I see at Newbonneville.com are the triumph gaiters

was awhile ago i got mine and dont have packaging with part number anymore. but TBH mate. I would not put too much thought on what gaitors, as they all look good and do the job. Go for a pair that are a good price and grab the first that are offered for sale!

That's my opinion anyway.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Bought some from a shop on ebay. Look just like the super gaitors, but 42 bucks shipped.

Last edited:

PieMan

Two Stroke
Here's a view of a black F3 front end without gaiters

bonnie_special_right.jpg

Also I don't think you'll be able to have the sliders black anodised, anodisation doesn't take very well to cast aluminium, it can come out blotchy and after a few months in the sun can fade and it doesn't look deep black anymore. Powder coating is the way to go if you want them black.

I'm also concerned about having the sliders welded. There's a possibility that localised heat may slightly warp the internal machined surface and cause stiction with the bush on the stanchion. Check with the bushes on the stanchions and run them back and forth in the sliders before installing seals or anything else, just in case. Good luck.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Will do. Thanks! I opted out of the anodizing after Sweat mentioned that it looks purple sometimes. I'm going with the powdercoating and gaiters. Hopefully the welder knows what he is doing. I mentioned they were cast aluminum and he said he could do it.. It's just a tiny tab.. hopefully it won't hurt the internals.. that. would. suck.

Bike looks sharp. Is it yours?

PieMan

Two Stroke
It's known as TiNi (Titanium Nitride), it can be gold or black, it is harder than chrome and more slippery so slightly less stiction, it also looks good.

strokerlmt

Here's a view of a black F3 front end without gaiters

bonnie_special_right.jpg

Also I don't think you'll be able to have the sliders black anodised, anodisation doesn't take very well to cast aluminium, it can come out blotchy and after a few months in the sun can fade and it doesn't look deep black anymore. Powder coating is the way to go if you want them black.

I'm also concerned about having the sliders welded. There's a possibility that localised heat may slightly warp the internal machined surface and cause stiction with the bush on the stanchion. Check with the bushes on the stanchions and run them back and forth in the sliders before installing seals or anything else, just in case. Good luck.

Extremely unique nice bike. Great job.......
LMT

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I'm looking for companies to get quotes on TiNi coating. The one I contacted will only do gold because it can be applied at a lower temp than black. Depending on the shade, that could look pretty sick. Ohlins-esque.

PieMan

Two Stroke
I believe the gold colour is the normal process, but then they put in a quantity of aluminium which turns it black. It's been on my bike for a year now and still looks as good as the day it was done. There is another process called DLC (diamond like carbon) which is also a black finish, harder, even more slippery and twice the price of TiNi.

PieMan

Two Stroke
Extremely unique nice bike. Great job.......
LMT

Thanks LMT. It's now down to 180Kg (396lb) dry and was pushing out 75.5bhp DIN as a 790, just finishing running it in as a 904 so should be on the dyno in a couple of weeks. The F3 wheels/forks and ZRX shocks have transformed the handling, but i had to re-spring the shocks and change the fork oil three times to get it spot on.