Mounting a pass/decal on a Bonneville?

Deek

Scooter
I am retired US military and often take my motorcycles on bases when I tour. On my BMW (below) I have a "base decal" on its windshield. The decal is about 3.5 by 6 inches. My Bonnie has no windshield and I probably won't get one....at least nothing bigger than a "fly screen".

Anyone have any ideas and especially pictures of a solution? I'm thinking some sort of aluminum plate will work. The decal (below) is about 3 quarters the size as the standard USA motorcycle license. I would prefer something that I can carry in the tail bag and bolt on as needed.

Thanks.

PS - I've inserted photos and sometimes they do not show.....hopefully it will work here, if not I've attached the URL to a photo my BMW with decal.

http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/72/72/1/71/99/2593171990061932057MBIJVr_th.jpg

2593171990061932057MBIJVr_ph.jpg

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
As a retiree there is no requirement to have a post sticker to enter Fort Bragg, unless the Threat Level is raised, then you have to go through the inspection lines. I keep a sticker on both of my 4-wheelers, and none on any of my bikes.

Have you checked to see if it actually is a requirement for retirees in your area?

Skeeter

Rocker
i live by an army base and have seen guys put in on the lower front fork.. i dont know if you wanna do that but it could work

Deek

Scooter
As a retiree there is no requirement to have a post sticker to enter Fort Bragg, unless the Threat Level is raised, then you have to go through the inspection lines. I keep a sticker on both of my 4-wheelers, and none on any of my bikes.

Have you checked to see if it actually is a requirement for retirees in your area?

Yep, no exclusion of any of the "decal" regulations for retirees. I even have to retake the Basic Rider Course (aka MSF Basic course) every 3(5?) years to retain the decal. Now if I don't mind getting a temporary "pass", I can take my license, registration and other documents and get a one day pass. But that is the same amount of work as getting a multi-year decal.

Not sure why the Navy, at least the the Navy where I want to ride on base, has these draconian regulations.:(

Deek

Scooter
i live by an army base and have seen guys put in on the lower front fork.. i dont know if you wanna do that but it could work

I have thought of that, which is the option I used many years ago when I was on active duty. But I hate to get that decal on the forks; I think it looks crummy. But I think I will end up with something like that "pedestrian slicer" or a plate that mounts on the left front fork somehow.

Would regulations permit you to apply the decal to a piece of magnetic strip and then attach it to your headlight? That way you could just pull it out of the bag and slap it on when needed.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
How about putting it on one of the side covers. Then just pick up a spare side cover on Ebay or here when when one comes up.

cynr1023

TT Racer
I put the post decal on from front left fork. wish I hadn't. That glue is probably the only thing in the army that works they way it is suppose to! Now I just put the new exp date sticker on top of the old one. When I get the front forks repainted I'll figure something out.

Deek

Scooter
Would regulations permit you to apply the decal to a piece of magnetic strip and then attach it to your headlight? That way you could just pull it out of the bag and slap it on when needed.

I don't think so. The decals are supposed to be permanently attached to the motorcycle. Good idea however.

mark66

TT Racer
I don't think so. The decals are supposed to be permanently attached to the motorcycle. Good idea however.

Deek.....it would be. Just before you leave home for the base change the side cover to the one with the decal.

mark66

TT Racer
Might work. I thought you said "helmet" not side cover in your first reply....:)

That was Geolpilot's idea......I just jumped in when it looked like you might have misunderstood his post. Seemed like the best way to do it to me. Easy on, easy off....just 1 screw.

Deek

Scooter
That was Geolpilot's idea......I just jumped in when it looked like you might have misunderstood his post. Seemed like the best way to do it to me. Easy on, easy off....just 1 screw.

Roger that, and it's not a bad idea. I'd just have to get a second side cover.

cynr1023

TT Racer
thread hijack.......I'm kinda an anti-chrome guy. It's ok if you're into that sort of thing but not for me.......thread hijack over