Anyone else finished with "Cafe Racer"?

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I met Mike Seate at the MC show in NYC. Talked with him for about 10 minutes and he seemed very down to earth and nice. But I also had the impression he could be selling anything, either cafe racers or widgets. Didn't sense any passion about his bike or any other bike. Maybe he is a little too nice, or he doesn't have much creative control of Cafe Racer. I just watched the episode where they interview Billy Joel and build 2 cafe racers at a swap meet. I agree the edited format really lost me, but more that that who the hell cares about Billy Joel and his writers block? It was half the show! Then the cafe builds were just very superficial , cut the fender and muffler , rattle can the tank and buy a cafe seat. Done. Where's the love?

Its a shame because there has to be literally dozens of cool scenes where you could talk cafe, old bikes, fast bikes, and literally thousands of cool bikes to look at, but instead we get stock footage of a Billy Joel concert and a stock CB 350 with a cafe seat. Wow. The Triton was very nice but there wasn't enough on it and really what do I care that a 22 year old top racer likes it? I'd rather hear from a life long Brit Bike builder. and the whole show was really just very discontinuous.Maybe they need a full episode host/narrator.

In short its very formulaic and a little frustrating to watch.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
its turning what i love into some trendy harley like shit. fuck that show. they can't edit properly and don't get it.

its turning what i love into some trendy harley like shit. fuck that show. they can't edit properly and don't get it.

I have news for you: it was already trendy shit before you got into it.

The cafe scene is just as much as a gay dress to impress look at me scene as the Harley pirate crowd. I like the bikes but guys dressing the part is just stupid IMO.

em_dot

Street Tracker
The cafe scene is just as much as a gay dress to impress look at me scene as the Harley pirate crowd. I like the bikes but guys dressing the part is just stupid IMO.

Meh... The dress the part of Rocker/Mod wish I were back in England in the early '60s stuff is more on par with the Hipster/Fixed Gear wish I were a bike messenger thing to me. Kind of dumb, but innocent enough.

The Harley Pirate thing is more akin to a level of Dante's Inferno.

I train regularly on an EAI Bareknuckle (fixed gear) sans the Hipster look, but riding around on a HD C Rocker in assless leather chaps with a doo-rag, and calling everyone "Bro" would just be Hell on Earth.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
OK, so I will be the first to say that I like the show. Sure it would be nice if they spent their time in one episode doing a build instead of jumping around....etc..etc..etc...

Mike Seate is a good guy. If it were not for him there would be no cafe racer mag or show and then folks would be saying "hey we need something." So he filled an empty hole.

As far as the editing. My guess is that the whole show is edited like building a cafe bike. These are not show bikes. They are built quick, easy and cheap. Just like the show is put together. It also has that same Rocker attitude of "well if you don't like it, then that's your problem."

I've learned more about the cafe society around America and I now know of builders I never heard of thanks to the show.

Relax, have a pint or two and quit trying to compare it to biker build off or some other Harley custom show.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I agree on the full cafe costume is lame. I like the cheap cafe bike though. I really think its great to encourage guys to recycle, update and restyle an old bike that is still good. And I can't think of a style I like better than cafe racer.

I wouldn't mind an open face helmet with goggles for short rides on nice days. I like Doc Martens, jeans. I guess thats sort of retro.

But I agree with Sweat, no way I'm wearing that silly costume , personally and I have to laugh inside my helmet a little bit when I do see someone wearing it.

mikenva

Rocker
I have news for you: it was already trendy shit before you got into it.

I agree 100% on that ,the guys that dress up in the rocker crap are the same as the HD guys and alot of them call there selfs cafe racers rideing around on bikes that wont get out there own way theres nothing racer about that at all.I never knew rideing a bike was a fashion statement lol.Maybe we need to start a new bike movement wear jeans boots what ever shirt you want go out and rase hell on bikes like the bikers did in the usa back in the 50s 60s and 70s.We didnt know what a cafe was back then but we knew where the bars where.Get 1/2 drunk race to the next bar lol We can call it beer joint racers lol.Only trouble now is back then you had to kick start bikes if you got to drunk to start it you where to drunk to ride it lol.More of us might get killed these days lol.Now your thinking what about DUI arest well back then when you saw a cops light you knew it was time to go ton up lol.

drlapo

Hooligan
when I attended the Triumph truck demo ride the guy from Triumph commented that I had the retro rocker look down. I told him its not a 'Look" ; I've been wearing the same gear for 40 years and riding the same bike for 32 years.
I did modernize my fleet with a Thruxton

pepper

Street Tracker
I could give a fuck less what machine somebody else rides or what they wear riding it. Ain't none of my business. Besides, I've got my hands full running my own life as it is. Live and let live I guess.

Back to the show, I've never seen it but I'd like to, just for the bikes.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
+1 Mike,

Who realized we were doing anything noteworthy? Head out to the bars Friday nights in a group of bikes all 18 - 19 years old one guy passes another and then it's ON. If we saw cop lights it was every man for himself and the devil take the hindmost.

Allright the English were much cooler. None faster, but much cooler.

cynr1023

TT Racer
what's worse, chaps or leather pants?

p.s. never seen the show, wanted to and still do, just not with as much enthusiasm as before.