Anyone else finished with "Cafe Racer"?

Bonniebret

Rocker
Is anyone else finished with "Cafe Racer" on DiscoveryHD? By that I mean to me it seems the show has run it's very short course and I no longer enjoy it or care if it's on.

Although it was a great idea it always seemed flawed. From it's too long intro it seemed like they tried to jam too many short segments into an episode which made it feel very disjointed. This combined with taking those segments and making them into multiple parts over two or three episodes makes it hard to be vested in the storyline not to mention confusing when it comes to reruns. "Have I seen this one?" Also having the Boz Bros always test riding gets old.

I think if they did one feature story, one part of a multi-part story (like a build) and product review segment the show would be able flow more naturally like a magazine.

Anyone else feeling it?

Last edited:

henrys

Street Tracker
While I agree the production could have been better I felt it was a lot better than most of the crap that is put on TV these days. We don't have much for bike shows that don't involve bleach blonde whores, fat angry meat heads or stunt hooligans.

Bonniebret

Rocker
While I agree the production could have been better I felt it was a lot better than most of the crap that is put on TV these days. We don't have much for bike shows that don't involve bleach blonde whores, fat angry meat heads or stunt hooligans.

I think that's what frustrates me. It's such a cool subject matter and yet it's almost unwatchable.

Ninja K

Two Stroke
I watched every episode and enjoyed only because of the subject matter. I agree with Bret in that the show was just over-edited.. As soon as I would find interest in one topic, they'd move on to another.. I've read this entire argument over and over online as well so I truly hope the producers have been paying attention. If they just spent one entire episode detailing one bike, I'd be much happier... The electric Norton segment was the worst.. uy...

sanjuro

Two Stroke
The editing/stretching stories over 3 episodes sucks. The bike builds are alright, though if they're gonna focus on that, I wish they would show more of the resurrecting and restoring process. I've really enjoyed the bits about history, culture, and what's going on today (Mods vs Rockers in TX and Chicago.)

dschief

750cc
The biggest problem with Cafe Racer, the show or the magazine, is Mike Seate. He is an arrogant douche. He does what he wants, when he wants, and really has little regard for other peoples opinions or ideas.
The magazine is poorly edited, with loads of mistakes and false information. I realize that everyone makes mistakes, but the regularity CR screws up makes it unbearable.
I'm also sick of Seate's little analogies, which he uses in every story. It's like, well, reading with razor blades in my eyes.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
+1 on all the above stuff. I know there was a travelogue type show with Ducks traveling around Spain that I thought was pretty good. 1/2 ride and 1/2 road test.

I guess I'll still watch Cafe Racer, but I'm guessing there won't be many more episodes of it coming.

badda_bing

Two Stroke
Hopefully with any feedback they have gotten season two will focus more on the builds. I would like to see more in-depth information on that. I also wouldn't mind a few longer interviews with some of the builders and older rockers. Less on the host. His lisp makes me want to punch his brain.

em_dot

Street Tracker
Well my Direct TV dish and boxes are circa 1997 and I'm not upgrading to HD until they die. TV is just not that important to me, so I guess I'm not missing anything.

I got a subscription to the magazine for Christmas from my wife. So far I like it. It beats what I had before... Nothing! It's the only magazine/TV show in a very small niche, that's for sure.

That Locked and Loaded Triton in last months issue is a work of art (why they didn't do a dual disc front brake I don't know). Regardless, I'll take two!

Bonniebret

Rocker
Less on the host. His lisp makes me want to punch his brain.

Right?! There's a continuity issue that always make me laugh. Watch when the host is on camera wearing his leather jacket. Depending on when the segment was shot the number of patches on the jacket increases or decreases. I know it's not a big deal but it makes me laugh.

mark66

TT Racer
I agree with pretty much all the above. I was disappointed in the show from the 1st episode and never made it all the way through the 2nd. Their planing on a 2nd season for sure as others have stated. I got an email from The Classic Bike Experience in Vermont and their going to shoot a show for season 2 up there. Sure hope they change their format.

Mike Seate interviewed me and shot my bike at the last Rockers vs Mods in Dallas, TX. He said he was going to put my bike in Cafe Racer magazine so I ordered the issue I thought my bike would be in but I never received anything. :(

A friend of mine shot this picture of Mike Seate interviewing me. That's me on the right.

mikeseate.jpg

badda_bing

Two Stroke
Mike Seate interviewed me and shot my bike at the last Rockers vs Mods in Dallas, TX. He said he was going to put my bike in Cafe Racer magazine so I ordered the issue I thought my bike would be in but I never received anything. :(

A friend of mine shot this picture of Mike Seate interviewing me. That's me on the right.

mikeseate.jpg

That Seate guy has a nice fanny pack! makes me want to watch it even less now. Too bad about the interview sweat.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I was recently watching the Mecum car autions. They autioned off a KZ1000 cafe bike made on the show. The producer ( I think) made two interesting comments. He stated that they have filmed the entire 2nd season something like 26 shows.:eeek::eeek:
The other thing he said was that the bike in question a Kz 1000 motor would do over 180 MPH. I found that very hard to beleive withiout some way of getting 160 RWHP out of the thing.

nohawk

Rocker
Hey Jeff I remember that, i bought the issue that had the Dallas MvsR in it and was bummed I didnt see your ride in it. Never seen the show but I had some non riding friends call and ask if i was watching it.