New bars and opinions for comfort

crikket44

Scooter
Hi guys and gals. I have a question for this well-informed horde. I just put m-bars on my t-100, and love the way they look. My problem is that I am not sure if the riding position will work for me. I have heard many here talk about rear sets, and I am wondering if they will help my comfort. I am not that knowledgable about motorcycles, and would love an explanation on rear-sets. Also, I am 6'3", and 230. Maybe some risers would help me sit up a bit. Anyone know how tall they come, and how it will change the position of my riding stance. Thank you so much for anyone who shares some knowledge my way!

sportyone

Street Tracker
Hi guys and gals. I have a question for this well-informed horde. I just put m-bars on my t-100, and love the way they look. My problem is that I am not sure if the riding position will work for me. I have heard many here talk about rear sets, and I am wondering if they will help my comfort. I am not that knowledgable about motorcycles, and would love an explanation on rear-sets. Also, I am 6'3", and 230. Maybe some risers would help me sit up a bit. Anyone know how tall they come, and how it will change the position of my riding stance. Thank you so much for anyone who shares some knowledge my way!

why didn't you stay with the standard bars ? @ 230lb sitting up would be better IMO

maybe you need an America, Speedmaster or Thunderbird :shh:

strokerlmt

I'm 5.9 and 190...I have mbars with risers and rear sets and after trying a lot of different things it is my final and best comfortable position. I would ride with a hex and adjust until it felt better.
LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I am 6'4" at 230 and I went the other direction with my set up. I got the low cafe bars from new bonneville. I went with these because they have only a 2.5" rise with a 5" pullback and are 32.5" wide. Which means, they are much wider and less pullback on them. I found these bars to be perfect for my size as they brought me forward and opened up my shoulders to have better handling on the bike. I switched these and it was instant comfort where I have done 800 mile days with this set up. Might be something to think over.

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

crikket44

Scooter
why didn't you stay with the standard bars ? @ 230lb sitting up would be better IMO

maybe you need an America, Speedmaster or Thunderbird :shh:

I just love the bonnie, had to have one. We will see, might need to throw the standards back on. I just am not crazy about the look, gives it a little bit of a scooter look to me.

crikket44

Scooter
I am 6'4" at 230 and I went the other direction with my set up. I got the low cafe bars from new bonneville. I went with these because they have only a 2.5" rise with a 5" pullback and are 32.5" wide. Which means, they are much wider and less pullback on them. I found these bars to be perfect for my size as they brought me forward and opened up my shoulders to have better handling on the bike. I switched these and it was instant comfort where I have done 800 mile days with this set up. Might be something to think over.

Thank you for showing me your bike, beautiful by the way. Those bars do look fantastic. Maybe I will give tham a shot soon, as it seems that trying a few different bars, possibly with risers thrown in there, will be cheaper than a rear-set, which I may or may not like.

crikket44

Scooter
I'm 5.9 and 190...I have mbars with risers and rear sets and after trying a lot of different things it is my final and best comfortable position. I would ride with a hex and adjust until it felt better.
LMT

Is a hex the same as a riser. Thanks!

ivar

TT Racer
hex = allen key (6mm) for the handle bar clamps, for making adjustments when out riding.

To find the best bars / riding position, you just have to test, test, test.

I'm 5'11 and currently using superbars with 1" risers fron http://wwwspacerjim.com

re: peg lowering; you can swap the stock pegs from side to side, that'll give you close to 1" more leg room. Feeler pegs will now face forward, I just unscrewed mine.

strokerlmt

LMT

Is a hex the same as a riser. Thanks!

Sorry.....allen key.....then you adjust the bars along the way.
Ivar has a great idea.....get a set of risers , flip your pegs so you are lower by 1 inch and see how that works. Personally I really like the mbars the best.
LMT

sportyone

Street Tracker
I just love the bonnie, had to have one. We will see, might need to throw the standards back on. I just am not crazy about the look, gives it a little bit of a scooter look to me.

well yeah, :) I do suppose if you are 230 lbs,
any bike other than a Harley, going to look like a scooter to you ? :)

little aussie joke mate ! :cheer:

sportyone

Street Tracker
I'm 6'2" and after fitting the new thruxton bars with 1/2" spacers from spacerjim, was all good for me ? :)

Attachments

• DSCN0614A.jpg
    DSCN0614A.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Thank you for showing me your bike, beautiful by the way. Those bars do look fantastic. Maybe I will give tham a shot soon, as it seems that trying a few different bars, possibly with risers thrown in there, will be cheaper than a rear-set, which I may or may not like.

I realize that every body has their own taste when it comes to the set up on their rides and by all means...finds what works for you. However, I do think with our height (your 6'3" and I'm 6'4") that risers are the last thing you want. I hated the stock bars because they had far too much of a pull back for me with my size and the bars are narrow as hell. Riding in England, the problem I was having was that I was getting blasted with the winds and getting shoved all over the place. Less rise and less pull back means that I come over the tank more like a regular sized person and my leg placement were positioned where they should be. The wider bar meant that I could get my chest opened up and english the bike the way I need to. Risers will bring you upright even more which I would think that is the last you want sitting at 6'3".

Edit:

I come from a strong dirt background so take my advice with a grain of salt; I just realized this. Comfortable for me is to be slightly over the tank and my shoulders opened up wide. If I don't have this then I get into the syndrome where something is not right. I realize that even with my street bikes, I still fall back to this set up as it is my comfort zone. Didn't mean to start up a debate on the need of risers or not...just clarifying why I have my set up the way I do. I guess even on the road...the dirt still calls to me :D

Last edited:

Ninja K

Two Stroke
I'm a bit tall as well at 6'0" I find the pull back on the stock bars to place me almost too vertical and I really felt the blast of wind.. I also didn't like the feel of having so much bend in my elbows. The bike I bought came with Superbars which were pretty comfortable but I wanted more of a cafe look and feel.. Tried the M Bars and they were great but I just didn't like the look.. Found some Biltwell clubmans and installed them upside down.. whoa, cool look but way to forward.. right now I have th clubmans with 1" risers and it feels just right! It retains the cafe look, stretches me out just enough but it's not too uncomfortable.

retrorider

Scooter
I went the other way and got the Highlander bars because I wanted a more upright seating position. Riding forward for me doesn't work; my arms get tired and I get a crick in my neck. Yes, there is a lot of wind pressure riding a Bonnie when sitting upright, but I solved that early on with a summer screen.

Flaco

750cc
Maybe some risers would help me sit up a bit. Anyone know how tall they come, and how it will change the position of my riding stance. Thank you so much for anyone who shares some knowledge my way!
I made my risers 1-1/4" tall out of 1" 6061...
Stock bars, I'm thin and have long arms and legs...
My highway pegs work well too...

Spacer Jim... http://spacerjim.com/

Attachments

• HPIM0453.jpg
    HPIM0453.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0409.jpg
    DSCF0409.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0