Changing clothes - Bonnyising the Thrux

Pete R

Banned
Hi guys,
Been messing with the bike (does it ever stop?) Thought I'd show you some pics of the old girl in her new togs :) She did look like this -

6.jpg

Now she looks like this - with more stuff planned...

bonnythrux3.jpg

bonnythrux2.jpg

bonnythrux1.jpg

Now, I wonder if I can do the same for the missus...:chin:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I like it and think your ride looks pretty sweet. I say keeping going in the direction you want; your ride is definitely personalized to be yours and that is a cool thing!

simpson

TT Racer
My first reaction was, "What the hell is he doing to that beautiful yellow Thruxton!?!"

But, then I looked closer...I like it. You did just like your title suggests, which is the opposite way that most people go. "Go Your Own Way", eh?

Nice job! Cool tinware, and you kept the clip-ons!

Are you going to paint the front fender?

-simpson

Pete R

Banned
My first reaction was, "What the hell is he doing to that beautiful yellow Thruxton!?!"

But, then I looked closer...I like it. You did just like your title suggests, which is the opposite way that most people go. "Go Your Own Way", eh?

Nice job! Cool tinware, and you kept the clip-ons!

Are you going to paint the front fender?

-simpson

I'm not too sure about the front fender yet. The silver kind of ties in with silver tank pinstriping. I might scout about for another fender and paint that one black so I can switch back. There's another paior of T100 sidecovers on the way - I'm thinking of rubbing them back, repainting them and having some "Bonneville Thruxton" decals made, then clear coating over the top. Plus a good friend use to have an original 1965 Bonneville Thruxton! I've got a pait of Tommasellis on order from Santa too :D
I use to race Classic Bikes and loved all the old Tritons, Manxes, Velo's etc. When I was looking for a bike it was these old classics I had in mind. I was oh so close to getting a black and red T100, with the thought of cafeing it. Then I happened across the Thruxton at a good price and thought I could always Bonnyize it! To me there's something about the T100 colour scheme, black paint, chrome and polished alloy that oozes "classic class".

By the way, I've got all the original Racing Yellow tinware, seat and cowl on the shelf - she can back to standard colours in less time than it takes to make a cup of tea (or down a schooner!)

I think she's beautiful. I've fallen in love all over again.

:cheers:

simpson

TT Racer
Ah...the old "extra tinware" trick! That is awesome!

I am looking for an extra set, but it will have to be cheap enough!

Would love to be able to swap out from yellow to another look and go back again.
Now I'm jealous of ya!

-simpson

Pete R

Banned
Yeah, it is a good trick :D Just keep your eyes open and bits and pieces turn up, you put it together over time. Sometimes something turns up (for me it was the Corbin Gunfighter) which makes you take a bit of a detour.

The ability to change colours is nice. Also nice if you run the cops (which I haven't done for over 30 years!) and need to be a bit..err...discrete for a while ;)

Bonniebret

Rocker
I love the look of your bike. Never seen anyone go from Thruxton to Bonnie. I especially like the look of the silver fenders. Very custom look and looks good with the engine components.

tribear

Street Tracker
I dig the new look. Beautiful actually. Since you are versed in spare tins, possibly a spare front fender painted black with a red stripe down the middle.

front fender yet. The silver kind of ties in with silver tank pinstriping

Maybe should look at a chrome fender to tie in with engine. Easier than changing front fender each time she changes colour. Nick Morey had a post awhile back where He showed his bike with different tin-ware and the chrome fender on his worked well. Still not caught up mate. There is a ride in a couple of weeks if interested.

picture.php

100_0250.jpg

Last edited:

Pete R

Banned
Paint the fender black!

Onya Sweat! :D I knew you'd say that! :D

Black with a red pinstripe could be cool...:chin:

Maybe should look at a chrome fender to tie in with engine. Easier than changing front fender each time she changes colour. Nick Morey had a post awhile back where He showed his bike with different tin-ware and the chrome fender on his worked well. Still not caught up mate. There is a ride in a couple of weeks if interested.

Hi David,
Yeah, I was thinking of going chrome or maybe alloy. I know the standard guard has a hefty bracket underneath it that acts as a fork brace. The alloy guard I've seen (like on 3baby's bike) looks like they do away with the standard bracket/brace. I guess I could always put an aftermarket fork brace on top of the guard...but I dunno if that will spoil it or not :confused:
The chrome jobs like on Nick's Bonnie look good too - but I don't think that will mount to the Thrux's forks. Maybe get a chrome job, do away with the standard stays?

More reasearch to be done!

BTW is the ride the night one to Sydney? Busy time of year for us now but we will definitely catch up! :)

Pete R

Banned
Yeah, I'm going to have to find another one and paint it black.

A black one with a red pinstripe and chrome trim might work. Pretty pimpish tho'... :D

BTW is the ride the night one to Sydney? Busy time of year for us now but we will definitely catch up

yer it is and "The Don" will be there with his Scramber that has a Honda chrome front fender that was practically a straight fit. ($25 Liverpool wreckers)

2384453850106757102S600x600Q85.jpg

2348459890100875198S600x600Q85.jpg

Will actually be in Windsor with a few mates looking at a BSA A65 one purchased, around 6.30 pm tomorrow 10.12.10 if likely to still be there pm me and leve number and we can catch up.

Last edited:

Pete R

Banned
yer it is and "The Don" will be there with his Scramber that has a Honda chrome front fender that was practically a straight fit. ($25 Liverpool wreckers)

2384453850106757102S600x600Q85.jpg

2348459890100875198S600x600Q85.jpg

You mean Thruxton? If that's the guard from the Wreckers then I know where I'm going:C

Pm'd about this evening.

OOPS Meant Thruxton and yes that is the fender. Got yr pm will call u soon.

The Don never done so well with fork brace. Purchased over internet thinking price was Oz dollars instead of pounds. Postage was also a killer lol

Last edited:

RumRunner

Street Tracker
She looks beautiful. Not my cup of tea, but that’s what so great about these bikes, we can each make them our own. I’d say continue your Black & Red theme. You can paint the front fender Black (or get another one off eBay for cheap to paint) and color the back bone of it Red. Then if you wanted to really keep it going you could have a local upholstery shop add Red piping on your seat, and off course a Red chain.