thinking about another bike soon

Once tax return time comes, I may be picking up another bike. This is all up in the air, but I'm thinking about finding something relatively lightly used. I want a liter plus, sport-oriented but able to handle touring, and well under 10k.

here's my short list:

-FZ1
-Speed Triple/Street Triple/Sprint
-Suzuki Bandit 1250
-sv1000

Anyway, that's just a short list. I also wouldn't mind a HD Street Glide or Road Glide, but that's a lot more money and a lot less hp than I want.

Input?

Last edited:

Arkwright

Two Stroke
Having ridden 3 of those 4, the only other bike I'd have in my stable besides my beloved Bonnie is the Speed Triple. It's pure sex on wheels and immense fun.

I'd love to hear your input on all of the ones you've ridden, and why you like what you like, and don't what you don't.

thanks.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I know it is not on your list but have you considered checking into the Rocket Roadster? It would have the power that you are looking for and would also be a good option for touring/traveling. It definitely would be a cheaper option compared to the SG or RG

ivar

TT Racer
here's my short list:

-FZ1
-Speed Triple/Street Triple/Sprint
-Suzuki Bandit 1250
-sv1000

Not ridden it, but the B1250 sounds pretty interesting for an allrounder. Not the sharpest handler but the massive engine makes up for it.

From the experience with my SV650S, at least for me they are not very good for touring. Poor seat, too sporty ergo's.

Rode a buddies 06 FZ1, nice chassis and riding position - but I was not impressed by the engine. I expected some liter-bike torque, but under 8K rpm , it didn't happen much. After 8-9K though - hang on!
(My buddy later yanked the Exup valve etc + put on a slip-on - he said the front wheel got considerably lighter at lower rpms than before)

Never ridden any of the triples - would love to. I'd also put the Tiger 1050 on the shortlist.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Thats a tough one Sweat but I personally would want a fairing and some sort of windscreen. That has to be nice on long trips and at speed.

gcrider

Street Tracker
I had a Cagiva Gran Canyon for years and LOVED it. Only got rid of it to raise $$ for a hotrod project. Look seriously at the successor to the GC - the Ducati Multistrada. The bike handles awesome, has good Ducati power, and will do the bag/tour thing well. The Tiger is similar, and I'd look at it as well. Don't discount the adventure bike class - it's for real.

Mahart

Two Stroke
I love my Sprint 1050, but if I had my druthers I'd have an FZ1. I prefer the more comfortable position. Both have lots of power.

nohawk

Rocker
Hey Sweat what about the zrx1100/1200? Im looking at other bikes now too but I dont want to spend anything near 10k. Seems like the zrx or bandit are what Im after.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I'll say no the SV just because it is so similar to the bonnie.
FZ1 or a used tiger is where I'd put my money.
The s3 is a bitching bike but for long distances with no wind protection at all it just ain't the ticket.

I definitely don't want anything to do with a Rocket 3. Too fat, too expensive on tires, no thanks. I love Ducatis, but I'm not going there either.

Nohawk, good suggestion on the ZRX. I like those a lot. I'll add that to my list of craigslist searches :D

Any when I say touring, I don't mean a full on touring bike. I just want something *that* much better than the Bonnie for touring.

Sounds like there's lots of love for the Speed Triple out there. I've ridden a Sprint, but never a Speed Triple. I gotta test ride one.

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
the FZ1 was a blast to ride but had one of the worst exhaust notes I've ever heard, stock and with a Scorpion can, ugly, ugly, ugly... that said I could ride the bike all day, very comfortable.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
Sweat, have you considered KTM? That big twin motor just ROCKS! The adventure bike has a lot of travel and the superduke is wonderful.

nohawk

Rocker
That Concours is nice but Ive heard the engine heat is awful in hot weather,solid bikes though. If I had the money Id buy a KTM Adventure in a minute.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I have a friend that rode his concours all around the southwest for a few months, it was a mid-to-early 90's model.

The nice thing, Kawasaki didn't change a single thing on those bikes for YEARS, so parts are relatively plentiful.