New Acquisition - '08 Scrambler

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Just joined this forum, and after a month of 'transit time' (it was an E-Bay purchase) this beauty arrived yesterday:

ScramPioneer1.JPG

and rolled into the bike shed for a thorough inspection & setup this morning:

WorkBegins1103-1.JPG

Now she's ready for a little 'familiarization ride' in the morning:

WorkBegins1103-4.JPG

I'll be working on luggage, windscreen, engine protection, suspension, and some extra power over the next few months.

Ryde on!

- FoothillRyder
In the Sierra Foothills
'64 R50/2, '74 T120V, '97 Trophy 3, '08 Scrambler

koifarm

Hooligan
Welcome aboard Foothill....nice bike ! Scrams are a lot of fun to play with....glad you scored one ! Keep us posted on your progress...
BTW, really cool ceramic cat in the background of the first shot....lol...

DIRK

750cc
greetings foothill. the cat is a good touch. i was wondering about the custom shed roof? i bet that one will not leak! enjoy the forum and your scram.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Thanks!

It was quite a find actually. I've been on the lookout for the right 'deal' on a Silver/Tangerine bike (love that color scheme), and just happened to see this one the day it posted on E-Bay with a price that was quite a lot lower than the others I'd seen. I had made an offer on one in a dealer's inventory that was fair (or so I thought); but they countered with an out-the-door price WAY beyond what I ended up paying for this one. I contacted the guy through E-Bay; but when I didn't get a response in 24 hours I couldn't resist - and hit the 'Buy It Now' button.

Was it risky? Sure. But it paid off. The bike is every bit as nice as the pics he'd posted.

Now to await some funds so I can begin the procurement process.

Shocks, small windscreen (Spitfire), bash plate, case guards, a rack and luggage, etc. are all on the list. Then comes pipes (probably Thunderbike), some intake mods and a more free flowing air filter, then some improvements to the brakes and replacements for the 'Death Wings' and she'll be ready for a nice long rideabout in the spring. :)

Thanks for all the welcome messages, and yeah that cat is pretty cool. ;)

I'll post progress here as well, so stay tuned!

From the little ride I took this morning, I can say the Scram is definitely 'user friendly' if a bit down on power. Definitely feels like all she needs is better breathing (as was the case with the Thruxton I had).

Cheers! :cheer:

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
greetings foothill. the cat is a good touch. i was wondering about the custom shed roof? i bet that one will not leak! enjoy the forum and your scram.

Thanks. That shed roof definitely doesn't leak, but I was a day too late putting it up there. :( We got 10" of rain here in a 24 hour period last week, and I spent an entire day drying things out. Won't happen next time!

Ryde on!

Deano

Two Stroke
It was quite a find actually. I've been on the lookout for the right 'deal' on a Silver/Tangerine bike (love that color scheme), and just happened to see this one the day it posted on E-Bay with a price that was quite a lot lower than the others I'd seen. I had made an offer on one in a dealer's inventory that was fair (or so I thought); but they countered with an out-the-door price WAY beyond what I ended up paying for this one. I contacted the guy through E-Bay; but when I didn't get a response in 24 hours I couldn't resist - and hit the 'Buy It Now' button.

Was it risky? Sure. But it paid off. The bike is every bit as nice as the pics he'd posted.

Now to await some funds so I can begin the procurement process.

Shocks, small windscreen (Spitfire), bash plate, case guards, a rack and luggage, etc. are all on the list. Then comes pipes (probably Thunderbike), some intake mods and a more free flowing air filter, then some improvements to the brakes and replacements for the 'Death Wings' and she'll be ready for a nice long rideabout in the spring. :)

Thanks for all the welcome messages, and yeah that cat is pretty cool. ;)

I'll post progress here as well, so stay tuned!

From the little ride I took this morning, I can say the Scram is definitely 'user friendly' if a bit down on power. Definitely feels like all she needs is better breathing (as was the case with the Thruxton I had).

Cheers! :cheer:
Welcome to this site full of good information dude.
What ever you do, get those 'death wings' off as soon as the money allows. I absolutely hated mine. They made the bike feel bad when they got worn down a bit, I kept thinking something was wrong with the bike. Put a set of Avon's on it, like a new bike. It's as you said, get her breathing properly and it starts to feel like a normal bike at least.
Keep those pictures coming.

whyme

TT Racer
Nice!! I was on the prowl for a tangerine or green on e-bay as well-got my 2007 green last year. I still kind of like the tangerine better though. I sold off all of the extras I did not want to fund my purchases to make it the way I wanted. You'll love it!

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Thanks again; but...

Today after my little get-to-know-you putt I decided to tackle re-mounting the right side mirror. The transport folks had removed the mirrors to allow the bike to fit 'upstairs' in the transporter. No biggie - or so I thought. The left side went on as the no-brainer it should be; but the right side... not so much.

The right side mirror mount is unlike anything I've seen, makes no sense, and appears to me to be some sort of kluge arrived at by someone with nothing better to do than make life difficult for others. So I've taken some pics of what this thing looks like.

First, the 'receptacle' - which doubles as the hold-down for the brake reservoir. This thing is, from all appearances, just a 'cup' into which the mirror stalk is inserted, with threads on the outside for the retainer.

RHMirror1.JPG

RHMirror2.JPG

Sorry for the camera shake, using a point-n-shoot at maximum zoom. ;)

And here are two views of the end of the mirror stalk...

RHMirror3.JPG

RHMirror4.JPG

I consulted my service manual (pdf), which described something completely different than what is shown here. Although it did include a description of a 'tolerance ring', the rest of the assembly is different.

So.... am I missing a piece, or what? Any ideas?

I do know that if I unscrew the 'receptacle' there is a normal threaded hole which looks as if it will allow a normal mirror stalk to screw right in. But geez, what do you all think?

Cheers!

- FoothillRyder
In the Sierra Foothills
'64 R50/2, '74 T120V, '97 Trophy 3, '08 Scrambler

tribear

Street Tracker
Welcome FHR. Sweet Scram. Intake mods will wake 'er right up. Enjoy!

Edit: Just saw your last post. Is there not a cap nut inside the black sheath/cover. Mirror goes in receptacle, cone shaped portion is squeezed down into receptacle as you tighten the cap nut. All terms made up, hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Welcome FHR. Sweet Scram. Intake mods will wake 'er right up. Enjoy!

Edit: Just saw your last post. Is there not a cap nut inside the black sheath/cover. Mirror goes in receptacle, cone shaped portion is squeezed down into receptacle as you tighten the cap nut. All terms made up, hope that makes sense.

Thanks TB. They really know how to strangle these poor things in Hinckley, eh? :(

In fact it does make sense, and yes there is a 'cap nut' inside the black cover - and it does thread onto the 'receptacle'; but the mirror never gets tight enough to remain in any particular orientation.

I'm thinking I'll just do away with this kludgey receptacle thing and use a normal mirror. :ride:

Cheers!

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
More!

All, well I posted somewhere (ADV I think) about an alternative to the expensive and somewhat rattly center stand for the Scram, so I thought I'd post a couple of pics of how I handle rear wheel & chain maintenance (amongst other things like oil changes). I use a combination of a Baxley Sport Chock and an LP Racing swingarm stand to keep the bike vertical and lift the rear wheel.

Here's a pic of my Scram in the shed, perched on the chock and stand (that's my R50 to the left):

Workshop1.JPG

a bit closer shot at the rear. The support pads for the stand fit snugly and hold 'er up there securely:

Workshop2.JPG

A blurry shot of the chock up front. These things are supremely easy to use. Just ride/push the front wheel into the chock, set the 'keeper', and she'll stay there for as long as you like. Release the keeper and pull the bike back and she's free. Although Baxley only claims this chock to work with 16" to 18" wheels, the Scram's 19 incher fits just fine:

Workshop3.JPG

As for the mirror issue I was having - I solved that one with a set of bar ends, and got the RAM mounts installed for the GPS and camera:

Workshop4.JPG

Time for a ryde! :up:

cantilever

Scooter
nice scrambler!

That mirror is like the ones on the tiger, speed triple, and a few others. there is a threaded nut on the mirror stalk, you insert the mirror stalk, so the compression ring thing bottoms out, and then just thread and tighten the nut.

It works just like one of those brass compression fittings you see at the hardware store.... so you tighten them together (use 2 wrenches). And yes, it's different than the previous bonneville / scrambler.