Tubed Wheels

Savantjk

Street Tracker
I'm new to the forum and had a question. I was under the impression that our rims were made for tubed tires and to go tubeless the rim needed to be replaced. I bought my bike used a while back and noticed that I have tubeless tires on it. Does this mean that the previous owner already did the rim swap to tubeless? If so, that would be super as I know that going tubeless saves a ton of hassle.

These are the tires that I am running

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...skuId=643254&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

Thanks guys

begenius

Scooter
tubeless tires with tube inside

I'm new to the forum and had a question. I was under the impression that our rims were made for tubed tires and to go tubeless the rim needed to be replaced. I bought my bike used a while back and noticed that I have tubeless tires on it. Does this mean that the previous owner already did the rim swap to tubeless? If so, that would be super as I know that going tubeless saves a ton of hassle.

These are the tires that I am running

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...skuId=643254&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

Thanks guys

Savantjk;hi!

the reason you think your wheels are tubeless is because the type of factory tires are Metzeler tubless type -BUT Unfortunately they have nice tubes inside them!!!!!
Dont worry too much
the most adventure bikers of all times have used spoked motorcycles
Triumph is a classic example

keep rolling
(even spoked!!!!hahahahaha!!);)

Eugene

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Thanks for clearing it up begenius! I have seen some sets of spoked wheels on the net that are tubeless.

Musicswapshoppe and mahart : I have an '04 bonnie black. I have seen some talk about spoked wheels that are tubeless floating around. That is what had me confused. There were posts on the triumphrat.net forum about alpina making a set of tubeless wheels and other guys modding their stock wheels with sealant, etc. Thanks for the input!

em_dot

Street Tracker
I have black Alpina STS rims on my bike with hubs powder coated black by Carlos.

The rims are alloy vs steel and no inner tubes! I'm running Avon Azaro-ST radial tires. Money well spent IMO.

Crappy pic though, sorry! I'll try to get a better picture soon. I stained the fence a couple weeks ago...

056.jpg

Last edited:

Savantjk

Street Tracker
em_dot, those are nice! Where did you get them? I haven't been able to find a dealer - searches always lead to other forums that go off-topic in the first few posts. Also, how much did they set you back? If you don't mind me asking. Going tubeless has been one of the upgrades on my list.. I was thrown off by seeing tubeless stamped on the tires; I haven't messed much with them other than checking air pressure, as they were fresh when I got the bike.

em_dot

Street Tracker
No problem.

The powder coating cost about $100.00 per hub plus shipping out to CA (not expensive if you ship ground). Carlos puts new bearings and seals in before sending them back.

Then I sent the hubs to Italy. It was about $100.00 to ship both hubs insured, but you can do it for $45.00 without the insurance. I used USPS for this.

Another $1,300.00 (give or take a few bucks); got me the Alpina STS Kit (rims, spokes, nipples, o-rings, etc...), labor for lacing, trueing, tensioning the wheels (at the factory by the folks that do the wheels for the Thruxton cup bikes), and return shipping. This can be less if you don't ship to Italy and lace yourself or by a local vendor. They do sell the STS kit separately. I wanted mine done at the factory, and was willing to pay for that.

I went through JC. He was great to work with, and I'd do business with him again. Here's his website: http://www.jcpakbikes.com/

Add the Avon Azaro-ST tires (JC sends Dyna Beads with the Alpinas), and there you have it.

I have Ricor Intimidators in the forks and Progressive 418s out back. This bike handles really well!

Next is a brake upgrade before I start messing with the motor. Actually, next is me tearing out and redoing the hall bathroom for Mrs Dot... then the brakes!

Hope that helps,

Joel

Savantjk

Street Tracker
That sounds like an extremely sweet set-up. Shocks are actually the first on my to do list. I've got some mods already, but the suspension seriously needs help. If I can find a set of YZR shocks, I want to try them out. I've read that they are great, but a little stiff since the kawa bikes are heavier than ours.. If I can't find a decent set for a fair price I've been thinking of going with a set of IKONs in Thruxton length.

Thanks for the help!