Conversation with Brother Dear

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Got on the phone to wish my brother a happy birthday one day before the actual event since he's working don'tchaknow. Now he's been in SoCal for a couple of years now and like the other millions out there who work, he has a bit of a commute. He has a stable of bikes and cars to choose from when he goes to work.

But no matter what he drives or rides, once he gets onto the freeway it's like guerrila warfare. He's beginning to hate the commute and blames it on all the people out there who are in a hurry and therefore don't care or even consider the other people out there sharing the road.

He even related the most bizzare incident I've ever heard of. A Monte Carlo club of 8 or 9 cars got onto the freeway in front of him and blocked all 4 lanes down to a speed of about 35MPH or so. The rest of the club in front did Rolling Drag races, weaves at 90 mph. You name it they did it. He had to follow this circus for about ten miles on the freeway all the time going 35.

have any of you guys heard of anything like that???? When I was OTR I know that on occasion when there was an accident ahead a row of semis would slow down traffic so cops could get thru and there wouldn't be any stop and go stuff, but never guys blocking a freeway so they could stunt drive in their cars.:wazzup:

Bonniebret

Rocker
When I lived in SoCal some street bike club did something similar in front of me on the 134. A couple of guys did a traffic brake while the rest went ahead and did donuts and popped wheelies. (Front and rear, naturally.)

zmilin

Street Tracker
There are some local bike clubs that do that here in Wa.
I normally look out for bikers but I see that crap and hope to see one of those jackasses go down. Don't want em to die....just knock them back into reality.

Bonafide

NBR founder
have any of you guys heard of anything like that????

Yup. It happens here in the metro Atlanta area every now and then.

Another thing going here is a 'club' where membership has you race around I-285 (interstate loop around the metro city) in X amount of time that would equal averaging X mph. I dont know the numbers, but it's something like 150mph avg. You'll see the sportbike guys running it around 2-3am.

ssjones

750cc
Yep, they do that in DC as well, sportbikes and the import crowd.

Another thing going here is a 'club' where membership has you race around I-285 (interstate loop around the metro city) in X amount of time that would equal averaging X mph. I dont know the numbers, but it's something like 150mph avg. You'll see the sportbike guys running it around 2-3am.

MES

750cc
the example sited is extreme and unusual, but it does happen.
The attitude sited is completely typical (don't you know who I am?). if you want to keep your road skills sharp, ride metro L.A. daily. The only thing more hard core would be Bombay, Saigon, Sau Palo.

did he also tell you we got rippen riding out here.
what does he ride? where is he in "L.a.?
If he wants a hook up for some fun then I'm your man. we'll run his ass ragged :) we're local boys.
PM with his addy and we'll show him a good time. Don't worry, we'll be nice.

strokerlmt

I must live a very sheltered life.........I have never heard of any of this shit. But....how unconsiderate of these idiot fucking people though. They should all go to fucking jail and have there lic taken away. Sometimes I just cannot comprehend where this country is going.
LMT

Texas94fs

Hooligan

Same thing here in houston running the 610 loop, fucktards. Always wednesday nights. Hell cops here are now surprised if you even stop for them.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Years ago back in NY it was common to just shut the road down if you wanted to race...

In Atlanta there were a number of kids from Georgia Tech that did a speed limit check up on 285. They blocked the road and went the speed limit all the way around. It even made the news here.

KingBear

Hooligan
I've seen groups of little souped-up rice burners terrorizing the highway but nothing a rolling roadblock. There oughta be a law! :mad:

DandyDoug

750cc
When I lived in Tampa there was a group of street racers that would gather outside of town on a long stretch of entry road to I 75 south bound and hold imprompto drag races in the weee hours. The cops would go bust them but they would be back in a couple nights. I remember several riders were injured badly out there. STUPID !!

mikenva

Rocker
hell when we where kids we use to block I64 off and drag race kids are just stupid lol.Man that use to piss the state cops off someone would block the side of the road with there hood up if cop came up they would pour water on the motor make it look like it was running hot.That all changed when the cops put the eye in the sky lol.

Maybe I'll go against the flow a little here....

We're all a little older and a lot of us have been riding for many years. "Back there then" there wasn't the technology e.t.c to bust us. Bloody hell, I remember getting a secondhand GPz900 in 1987 and whacking the fucker wide open on a 10 mile stretch of the M3 (UK motorway) and the buzz I got pissing past cars in the outside lane and seeing the needle hit 150 for the first time was just nuts!

What I suggest is that today, technology and "big brother" have severely limited the chances for "individual expression" so the only way that the guys and gals like we were, can get their kicks is like what we have discussed in this thread - multiple cars/bikes = group anonimity. Block the road and go for it before the cops turn up. Good for them so long as they don't risk other people's lives.

Damn, for once I am glad I am old - been there, done that. (personal best 157MPH = chipped/termi'd Ducati 916 WFO route E40 Brussels - Calais 2002 cat & mousing with a TVR Griffith 500. Fuckin loved it!!!) ;)

Yeah, we have track days, but they are bloody expensive and pre-arranged and if you don't want to be totally outclassed, you need the right kit. Great for some but an impromptu drag race/blast through some twisties is still what most of us live for I reckon so yep, closing the road off with a rolling jam or lapping a city ring road is a bit naughty, but I'd say live and let live.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I agree with Pikey. Back in the day when I had a Rocket III, I didn't care who I took on and I took on just bout everybody. Even did the 130 that was "guaranteed" by BSA. So I know where these kids are coming from. They think they're invincible. It takes two or three buddies to get seriously fucked up for them to get it.

I'm sure we all know some kids from High School & College who didn't go on to higher education.

I agree with Pikey. Back in the day when I had a Rocket III, I didn't care who I took on and I took on just bout everybody. Even did the 130 that was "guaranteed" by BSA. So I know where these kids are coming from. They think they're invincible. It takes two or three buddies to get seriously fucked up for them to get it.

I'm sure we all know some kids from High School & College who didn't go on to higher education.

BIG RESPECT for 130 (eM Pee fucking aitcH) on a Rocket mate!!!,

You must have been thinking that your world was gonna end but no probs, you were young and cops were cops - not todays government revenue collectors.

Cheers,

Pikey

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I only did that 130 once and it was evil scary. There wasn't a piece on that bike that wasn't buzzing, shaking or flopping.

nohawk

Rocker
Maybe I'll go against the flow a little here....

We're all a little older and a lot of us have been riding for many years. "Back there then" there wasn't the technology e.t.c to bust us. Bloody hell, I remember getting a secondhand GPz900 in 1987 and whacking the fucker wide open on a 10 mile stretch of the M3 (UK motorway) and the buzz I got pissing past cars in the outside lane and seeing the needle hit 150 for the first time was just nuts!

What I suggest is that today, technology and "big brother" have severely limited the chances for "individual expression" so the only way that the guys and gals like we were, can get their kicks is like what we have discussed in this thread - multiple cars/bikes = group anonimity. Block the road and go for it before the cops turn up. Good for them so long as they don't risk other people's lives.

Damn, for once I am glad I am old - been there, done that. (personal best 157MPH = chipped/termi'd Ducati 916 WFO route E40 Brussels - Calais 2002 cat & mousing with a TVR Griffith 500. Fuckin loved it!!!) ;)

Yeah, we have track days, but they are bloody expensive and pre-arranged and if you don't want to be totally outclassed, you need the right kit. Great for some but an impromptu drag race/blast through some twisties is still what most of us live for I reckon so yep, closing the road off with a rolling jam or lapping a city ring road is a bit naughty, but I'd say live and let live.

Cheers,

Pikey.

+1!!
Truth has been told.
I still love seeing someone open up a fast car or a fast/cool bike as long as the rider is wearing the right stuff and appears he or she knows what thier doing. I too dont want to see anyone get hurt and it obvious when someone picks a bad time or place to haul ass or is just trying to show off,thats squid-ish. Anyone of us who has ridden sportbikes has been on a stretch of road where the impossed speed limit could be doubled without endangering ourselves too much and without endangering anyone else at all. Glad your back around Pikey.

MES

750cc
pikey:
been wondering where you've been off to. I know it's monsoon and the time of love but really brotha, come up for air.
I hope the current unpleasantness hasn't set you back.

got to keep an eye on the expats, they have a way of going native on ya.
chinawhite-2.jpg

Good stuff guys! Agreee Nohawk about cool cars being driven "right". I mean, what the hell is the point of having something with a few ponies if you can't enjoy them? Shame it'd getting harder and harder in the Nanny State most live in (not me, Thailand doesn't give a fuck but I ride a Bonnie and drive a pickup so moot point!).

Nice one Mes. Yes, it's been "wet" here these past months ;). Political crap has had fallout in decreased tourist numbers which is no good for my biz and rumour has it that it will kick off again once the rice picking season is over in a month or so. Gulp!!! Best I just get out and ride and forget about it all :D

Cheers,

Pikey.