New tires again...

mikenva

Rocker
yea they have a static balancer it works ok not as good as a spin though the only ones that can spin them in town only do hd wheels there adaptors dont fit our bikes.dont get any vibs though so all is ok.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Got the new Avon Roadriders on the hard way. Took them for a couple rides trying to scrub them off before my trip to Vermont. Initial impression, whats been written seems dead on - they lighten up the steering. At low speeds this seems great, really nice to feel I can flick the bike so fast. I've been looking to get the Bonnie to lighten up a bit. But at higher speeds it felt like the front was a bit too light and maybe a touch less steady.We'll see.

Tomorrrow 8 AM I am taking the Bonny to Bennington and the Green Mountains for a couple of days of Gaps Riding. Will report when I get back.

Norvel

Two Stroke
Reading some of the posts here, I'm wondering if I got hosed in labor.

Had both the Front and Rear replaced (Stock tires) today at the Dealer on my 2009 Bonnie SE.

I brought in the tires - they dimounted, mounted then spun balanced them.

I was initially quoted 30 days ago (by a Tech that is no longer working there) it would be $135.00, basically 1 1/2 hous of labor - today... they charged me $162.00 in labor.

I read up in a post here something about removing the rotor? so I am assuming it has to be removed before they can spin the tire?

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Yes I borrowed tire spoons and I put the bike up on a block of wood sitting on a car tire. It was somewaht satisfying to do it, but for me at least it was stressfull , dirty and sweaty work. I took Friday off to do it and in a few hours sitting at a desk I could have paid a guy to put them on. Instead I sweated and cursed and got filthy for. ohh a good 5 hours. Th worst is forcing the new tire on, praying I didn't pich the tube..They went on hard.Had to stick the spoons way in.
The reason I decided to do it the hard way? - I had no choice. The bike shops were all telling me they couldn't get to me until next week. And I have that trip to Vermont tommorrow. And my old tires were really bald... Hurt my back lifting the bike up but its all better now. 5 hours of work then I sat on the couch for 2 hours....so a full day. This includes an impromtu drive to my dealer for rear brake pads which were fried. I did not take the rotors off. The wheels had no weights on them so I put the heavy dot on the valve stem and hoped it was good. It was. I usually do things the hard way, been thinking about why -maybe by doing stuff myself I feel like I have ,,I don't know.....control.

Last edited:

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
The "cheesy" harbor freight tire changer and balancer ran around $150.00. I've changed 16 tires with it and still goin strong.

Got the new Avon Roadriders on the hard way. Took them for a couple rides trying to scrub them off before my trip to Vermont. Initial impression, whats been written seems dead on - they lighten up the steering. At low speeds this seems great, really nice to feel I can flick the bike so fast. I've been looking to get the Bonnie to lighten up a bit. But at higher speeds it felt like the front was a bit too light and maybe a touch less steady.We'll see.

Tomorrrow 8 AM I am taking the Bonny to Bennington and the Green Mountains for a couple of days of Gaps Riding. Will report when I get back.

Have a great trip Sal and enjoy the new tyres. :D

BTW - the bike probably feels more flickable coz your old tyres were flatted off and the new ones have a more rounder profile again.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Yes I borrowed tire spoons and I put the bike up on a block of wood sitting on a car tire. It was somewaht satisfying to do it, but for me at least it was stressfull , dirty and sweaty work. I took Friday off to do it and in a few hours sitting at a desk I could have paid a guy to put them on. Instead I sweated and cursed and got filthy for. ohh a good 5 hours. Th worst is forcing the new tire on, praying I didn't pich the tube..They went on hard.Had to stick the spoons way in.
The reason I decided to do it the hard way? - I had no choice. The bike shops were all telling me they couldn't get to me until next week. And I have that trip to Vermont tommorrow. And my old tires were really bald... Hurt my back lifting the bike up but its all better now. 5 hours of work then I sat on the couch for 2 hours....so a full day. This includes an impromtu drive to my dealer for rear brake pads which were fried. I did not take the rotors off. The wheels had no weights on them so I put the heavy dot on the valve stem and hoped it was good. It was. I usually do things the hard way, been thinking about why -maybe by doing stuff myself I feel like I have ,,I don't know.....control.
Wowzer....old school. :) No motorcycle jack? What does put heavy dot on the valve stem mean? No static balance even?
Glad you got it together without nicking a tube...hardest part about changing motorcycle tires with tubes.

DandyDoug

750cc
Any thoughts here on mixing brands ?

I need a new front, the latest Metzler Lazer Tech lasted about 6k miles, I have a Metzeler ME 880 on the rear and it's almost new.

I am considering a Metzler ME880 for the front, but also am interested in the Avon Roadrider.
Never mixed brands before, any thoughts ??

Thanks, Doug

HepcatBob

Scooter
I ordered 2 new Avon Roadriders online and had Triad Powersports in G'boro mount them for me yesterday. I'll never put another Lasertech on mine. From the 50 or so miles I rode yesterday on the new ones, I would have to say the Roadriders are far superior in feel and handling.

My front didn't need changing but I too was leery about mixing brands. I have no regrets in spending the extra $$$.

Last edited:

tbirdsp

Scooter
Wowzer....old school. :) No motorcycle jack? What does put heavy dot on the valve stem mean? No static balance even?
Glad you got it together without nicking a tube...hardest part about changing motorcycle tires with tubes.

Dot on the tire marks the light spot actually. Common wisdom is to align it with the valve stem. Best practice IMHO is to put the wheel on the balancer (static is fine) without a tire and find the *true* heavy spot of the rim (often not the valve stem) and mark it in a permanent way. Then align the dot with that spot rather than the valve stem. (Probably only worthwhile for tubeless tires where the valve stem stays attached to the rim though.)

There are bikes on race tracks all over the world exceeding 100 mph on tires that were statically balanced.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Its the difference in tread patterns. Lasertec has a straight center tread.
31Jtt4vGyBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Roadrider has an intermittant squiggle
08AvonRoadriderAM26FtMD.gif

I believe its the center groove that makes the difference. The Lasertec kind of locks onto a line.it feels accurate and precise, if a bit heavy..the Roadrider ,is not so locked in,feels less stable....in some instances it seems to produce a mild handlebar shake. Whats more important than the minor shakiness is the effect on the rider. I find it unsettling. 80 is around the speed it starts ....

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Dot on the tire marks the light spot actually. Common wisdom is to align it with the valve stem. Best practice IMHO is to put the wheel on the balancer (static is fine) without a tire and find the *true* heavy spot of the rim (often not the valve stem) and mark it in a permanent way. Then align the dot with that spot rather than the valve stem. (Probably only worthwhile for tubeless tires where the valve stem stays attached to the rim though.)

There are bikes on race tracks all over the world exceeding 100 mph on tires that were statically balanced.
Thanks for the education on that tbird...appreciate the explanation.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Its the difference in tread patterns. Lasertec has a straight center tread.
31Jtt4vGyBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Roadrider has an intermittant squiggle
08AvonRoadriderAM26FtMD.gif

I believe its the center groove that makes the difference. The Lasertec kind of locks onto a line.it feels accurate and precise, if a bit heavy..the Roadrider ,is not so locked in,feels less stable....in some instances it seems to produce a mild handlebar shake. Whats more important than the minor shakiness is the effect on the rider. I find it unsettling. 80 is around the speed it starts ....
Sal...a suggestion is...if your shake is enough to make you consider changing tires early...and if others report a stable bike at high speed with the Roadriders...maybe try to give them a better balance before giving up on them. Just a thought.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Its not a balance issue. They run perfectly smooth....until they don't. Its a matter of tread design and certain pavements I'm afraid. Look, the Avons are okay. I am sticking with them for now. I'm just trying to let other guys know what my experience was.

I was riding long distance with some high speed guys who do not hesitate to pass and you know how it is playing catch up. I find the Bonneville to be very good at catch up, but it was better at it with the Metzlers which on my bike were locked in and stable.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Its not a balance issue. They run perfectly smooth....until they don't. Its a matter of tread design and certain pavements I'm afraid. Look, the Avons are okay. I am sticking with them for now. I'm just trying to let other guys know what my experience was.

I was riding long distance with some high speed guys who do not hesitate to pass and you know how it is playing catch up. I find the Bonneville to be very good at catch up, but it was better at it with the Metzlers which on my bike were locked in and stable.
Actually that's pretty much how a balance issue manifests. Out of balance is pretty hard to detect under the resonant frequency of the shake. Maybe I missed the fact you balanced them in this thread.

Last edited: