Chain - When to replace?

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
I keep my chain super clean and well adjusted...

I'm at 12,500 miles. Still looks new, but thinking in the preventative sense; how do you know when it replace it?

I would look for signs of unusual wear on your sprocket first.

Then go about seeing if the chain is still too loose even after bringing out the chain adjusters at max on your swingarm.

Im close to 28K and my chains and sprockets look and feel fine.

Part of it is the stock chain is a 525...added on top that our bikes are not monsters when it comes to power.

To give you some comparison...my Bonneville is close to 28k miles..and I still have plenty of space left to adjust my chain

My Daytona 675 is pretty much track only miles and is at 17K...and its coming close to needing to finally replace.

As long as you lube your chain every 500 miles, you will extend the life of it.

The other alternative...ride the chain until it snaps off...then you know you need to replace the chains and sprockets.. (when your chain snaps off, be sure to find it so you can use it to help remove your front sprocket).

bonZa

Street Tracker
I'm at 40,000 kilometers. chain and sprockets still in good condition.

I inspect it every couple of weeks to look for wear on the sprockets and give it a clean with kerosene now and then

and contrary to popular opinion on chain maintenenance, I never lube it

Photonboy

Scooter
... contrary to popular opinion on chain maintenenance, I never lube it

Hmm. Seems, on a gut intuitive level, that lubricating a moving, sliding metal part would extend it's useful life.

Do you have a theory about this or are you just gonna run it 'till it snaps?

AceT100

Rocker
I had 20,000 miles on my Monster chain before it needed replacing, and I rode that like a fucking hooligan all the time....

As has been stated above, our bikes don't really make too much power, just lube it & keep it adjusted & you will be fine.

Pictures of a worn out sprocket

Just to clarify, here's a picture of the difference between a good sprocket and a worn out sprocket:

The bottom one is definately worn...it looks like a shark fin.

wornout.gif

If you're looking to replace your sprockets...the best bang for your buck is to get a "Supersprox" one. The teeth are made of steel and the center core is made out of aluminum. You get the best of both worlds...less rotating mass and teeth durability.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Thanks! All this info is perfect.

My sproket and chain look good. I anticipate another 10k before ANY kind of issues happen.

Thanks again everyone.

klink

Two Stroke
Just to clarify, here's a picture of the difference between a good sprocket and a worn out sprocket:

The bottom one is definately worn...it looks like a shark fin.

wornout.gif

If you're looking to replace your sprockets...the best bang for your buck is to get a "Supersprox" one. The teeth are made of steel and the center core is made out of aluminum. You get the best of both worlds...less rotating mass and teeth durability.

Checked their website....they don't list for Bonneville T100 "02" or 790cc. By chance you wouldn't happen to know if there is another application that will fit?

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Used to be if you could pull the chain out of the back side of the sprocket enough to see some light then the chain is worn and usually that means a new set of sprockets too.

marthruxton

Two Stroke
Used to be if you could pull the chain out of the back side of the sprocket enough to see some light then the chain is worn and usually that means a new set of sprockets too.

This is still true. In addition you should rotate the sprocket and check for wear in different locations as they do not wear our evenly. You may not have much play in one spot and excede an accepatble range in another.