Clunk vs click

Kirkus51

Hooligan
As I was riding with my cuz's Victory and my Triumph, I could hear while we were in the wind and I was about 50ft away every shift he threw. Brrrp, clunk, brrrp, clunk, brrrp, clunk. You get the idea. All the time my Bonnie was neatly clicking it's way thru the gears. Man I love my Bonnie, even if the Cuz''s Victory will stomp a hole in it in a straight line.

Do they actually design the clunk into these bikes so they feel more like a Harley? All the while Harley's getting their shifting smoother since the 6 speeds.

coopv2

Street Tracker
Not sure but is the Bonnie a constant mesh box like the Jap bikes? that would make for smooth shifting compared to the Harley tractor box.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
First of all, my Bonneville regularly stomps the crap out of my friends Vegas. Yes he can pull a few bike lengths from a redlight, but then the tide turns and its all Bonny. On a twisty road,if I am riding sporty, he will lose sight of me.

My 28 year old Suzuki GS puts them both to shame. That tranny is like clockwork, up or down, no matter the revs, she just goes into gear with a "snic" .

nohawk

Rocker
When I rode dirt more I always thought the suzuki rm's had a super slick gearbox and the few gsxr's I've been on were real good too but you could tell if the chain wasn't adjusted right, loose chain=sloppy shifts, the Bonnevilles seem to be one of the best shifting boxes out there. It was the first thing I noticed when I got a Thruxton back in 04.

DandyDoug

750cc
I notice the same thing when I ride my Bonneville and then go right to my HD RK Custom.

The HD has all the charm, technology and sophistication they could possibly have in 1938 right there in a 2004 model. LOL

nohawk

Rocker
Not sure but is the Bonnie a constant mesh box like the Jap bikes? that would make for smooth shifting compared to the Harley tractor box.

Yup,they are constant mesh but they shift better then some of the jap bikes I think

DandyDoug

750cc
Nope 5 speed all crunch and clang of it. Sort of like having an old Mack Truck in the family.
I poke fun at it all the time but it is in fact an enjoyable ride.
It's also for sale .