Bonnie engine project

REAL NICE MAN,

would it be rude to ask, how & where you came across the motor and what did it cost to buy and get it into Australia ? :shh:

great work mate !
:)

Ah, that's a long story. I purchased the engine off ebay from a breaker in the US for US$1,700. It was a 2007 Thruxton engine with 198 miles on the clock from a bike that had been crashed so it had some road rash on the cases. I made the mistake of using air freight to get it to OZ which turned out to be very expensive (US$1,525) and I also ran into Customs & broker problems that cost me dearly (AQIS primarily because it was shipped on a wooden pallet) so the total delivered cost to my door was AU$4,400.

On the positive side I had a late model low mileage engine delivered to my door very quickly for less than it would have cost to buy one locally, even if I could find one, and the engine was complete with carbs, starter motor, sprocket cover and some electrics.

If I was to do it again I would use an importer that was bringing in stuff by the container load by sea which would reduce the cost by 25% at least.

strokerlmt

Great job...nice pictures.....I am blown away by how much it costs you Aussie's to have things shipped in. Even 25% less in a container seems a lot to me.
LMT

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Thanks, I'm looking forward to riding it even though I'll have to restrain myself until the engine has been run in properly. The engine covers are all brand new brushed covers as they came out of the box although I do have a full set of covers that I am hand polishing which will eventually replace the existing covers. The colour of the bike is Forest Green not British Racing Green but you're right it does look great, thanks for the compliment.
Forest Green maybe prettier than BRG...that color just looks right on the bonnie.
I believe you made some mods to the engine internally. Do you have a link?
Any plans to dyno the bike after run in?

Forest Green maybe prettier than BRG...that color just looks right on the bonnie.
I believe you made some mods to the engine internally. Do you have a link?
Any plans to dyno the bike after run in?

I fell in love with the colour as soon as I laid eyes on it, I actually went in to the dealer to order a black & red but spotted this one on the floor and said "I'll take it".

Engine mods include Wiseco 10.5 to 1 pistons, Thunderbike cams, intake manifolds deburred and port matched and Barnett green clutch springs - pretty mild really.

Other mods are a Pieman reprogrammed ignitor, modified airbox (see my airbox thread) and Norman Hyde Togas. AI has been removed of course.

Dyno run will be done as soon as it has sufficient miles on it - not expecting anything earth shattering, probably 70 to 75BHP if I'm lucky.

Great job...nice pictures.....I am blown away by how much it costs you Aussie's to have things shipped in. Even 25% less in a container seems a lot to me.
LMT

Mate we get ripped off something shocking here - a new Bonnie is AU$15,000+ and genuine Triumph parts cost about double what they are listed for on Bike Bandit.

When we import stuff, if it is over AU$1,000 worth, we are hit with a 5% import duty, 10% Goods & Services Tax plus import broker fees of 10 to 20%. If AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) spot any dirt on it or it is shipped in a wooden box or pallet you have to pay heavy fees to have it cleaned and/or inspected. If you want anything reasonably large shipped from the states, such as a set of forks or a bare set of crankcases, it'll cost you AU$300 for freight alone.

Used Hinkley Bonnie parts are as scarce as hens teeth over here and horrendously expensive if you can find them.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I fell in love with the colour as soon as I laid eyes on it, I actually went in to the dealer to order a black & red but spotted this one on the floor and said "I'll take it".

Engine mods include Wiseco 10.5 to 1 pistons, Thunderbike cams, intake manifolds deburred and port matched and Barnett green clutch springs - pretty mild really.

Other mods are a Pieman reprogrammed ignitor, modified airbox (see my airbox thread) and Norman Hyde Togas. AI has been removed of course.

Dyno run will be done as soon as it has sufficient miles on it - not expecting anything earth shattering, probably 70 to 75BHP if I'm lucky.
Very tasteful mods and should be every bit as strong as what you predict.
Congrats.
PS: I have to follow suit at some point. These motors need compression and better cams and precisely what you are doing. There is even more compression to be had with your combo Aussie if you read your countryman Dave's Scrambler notes...he milled the head + Weisco pistons = 11.6:1 CR so food for thought if you decide to take it apart again and flow the head a bit. Rule of thumb for these motors is... 0.1mm head = .1 CR increase. AussieDave skimmed the head 1.0mm.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Flaco

750cc
Well, I must commend you on one fine looking as well as modded motor I have seen...
Now you just broke my bank budget as I now want the looks of your motor on my ride...
May go a slightly different route as far as coating (paint) on mine when I get into the head...
Leaning towards Jet-Hot...
Mighty fine mate...
Carry on...
Oh yeah! Carbs will bring WELL over the 75 RWHP with your head work (HCP)...
Shoot! Mine gets 73 without any of what you have!
Great job!

strokerlmt

Aussie T-100......I lived in a place where shipping costs were very high...+20% duty + fees + +++++++....it just pissed me off...
Press on...
LMT

Bigted

Two Stroke
Mate we get ripped off something shocking here - a new Bonnie is AU$15,000+ and genuine Triumph parts cost about double what they are listed for on Bike Bandit.

When we import stuff, if it is over AU$1,000 worth, we are hit with a 5% import duty, 10% Goods & Services Tax plus import broker fees of 10 to 20%. If AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) spot any dirt on it or it is shipped in a wooden box or pallet you have to pay heavy fees to have it cleaned and/or inspected. If you want anything reasonably large shipped from the states, such as a set of forks or a bare set of crankcases, it'll cost you AU$300 for freight alone.

Used Hinkley Bonnie parts are as scarce as hens teeth over here and horrendously expensive if you can find them.

Yes, I am always astounded by the prices I hear mentioned by Aussies for bike gear. Anyhoo, must be great (and great fun) to have a spare engine to play around with, ... no down time. Great thread.
Ted.

rump rump rump rattle rattle rump rump rump rump

Well I've put 200 Kilometers on the new engine and she's due for her first oil change now. Damn thing is a bit noisy up the top for my liking but it doesn't appear to be getting any worse thankfully. Fitting the engine has changed the character of the bike, sounds different now even though the pipes are the same. Haven't been above 4,500rpm yet but the bike is certainly keen to do so.

Check out the vid:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLPj8ByAcik

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Any extra top end noise is squelched by the extra sound from the higher compression. :)...don't notice it.
Given your valve clearances are to spec, only thing that comes to mind is the accoustics of the head have been altered with the iron sleeves you now have. Air cooled motors as you know are very susceptible to valve sound propagation. IF there is any difference, this will all fade rapidly in your mirrors as you enjoy your new found hp. :)
I look forward to your ride report and overall assessment of how the bike has been transformed.
It sounds like it wants to run and you have given the motor what it needs...cam timing and compression. :)
Congrats.

Last edited:
Given your valve clearances are to spec, only thing that comes to mind is the accoustics of the head have been altered with the iron sleeves you now have.

No iron sleeves here mate, standard Nikasil bore with Wiseco 10.5 to 1 pistons fitted. The Forged Wiseco's are probably contributing to the overhead noise though. All valves clearances are within spec but to the looser end of spec, particularly the exhaust valves.

More concerning is a pronounced whine or whirring noise at higher revs that I at first thought was a too tight cam chain however the noise persists even after removing, resetting & refitting the cam chain tensioner. Now I'm thinking either noisy bearings on the centre cam drive gear or it's just gear noise caused by the mating of the new straight cut gears on the cams with the used (even if only slightly) centre cam drive gear.

Anyway I intend to pull the cam cover very shortly to recheck valve clearances and have a good look around in there to see if I can spot any problems.

The bike is running surprisingly sweetly considering it is a new (tight) engine and the fitted jets and needle settings were just a stab in the dark. I do think I'm possibly on the rich side though judging by the mileage I got from the first tank of fuel. Even though I have only been applying light throttle and keeping revs below 4,500rpm my impression is that there has been no discernible loss of torque in the lower rev range. Once you hit 4,000rpm though it certainly slips into another mode and you have to keep a tight rein on her to hold her back so to speak. She's seems very keen to gallop when I'm trying to hold her to a trot. :nono:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
My bad on the iron sleeves Aussie. I thought you went to the Weisco big bore kit and not just HC pistons. The motor sounds sweet in your vid....a hint of lope at idle. Word is the added compression fills in the lower torque brought on by more aggressive valve timing...just what you want.
I look forward to your findings after you run it in. Should be a mid 70 RWHP motor and a hoot to ride.

Aussie,
Did you ever hear back from Thunderbike relative to your cam gear noise?
What did you decide to do?

No reply from Thunderbike - very poor form if you ask me.

I pulled the cam cover last weekend and everything checked out "as new" in there so no obvious problems at least. Exhaust clearances were out on three of the valves which didn't surprise me as they were set towards the upper end of spec when the engine was built. The top end has quietened down a little since doing the clearances but the whine is still there, seems to be getting quieter as the miles go up but maybe I'm just getting used to it. The noise is definitely more pronounced when the engine is cold but reduces to an acceptable level when the engine is at full operating temp.

I've checked the oil and filter after each change for contaminants that would indicate high wear levels and have found nothing that I wouldn't expect to find on a newly rebuilt engine so nothing is self-destructing in there.

I gave it it's first taste of throttle and higher rpm's the other day to celebrate breaking the 800Klm (500 mile) mark on the new engine and it reacted pretty much how I expected (yeehaa!!) and sounded meaner than a junkyard dog. I think I am going to be very happy with this engine once I get it jetted correctly and it loosens up a little more.

I think I am going to be very happy with this engine once I get it jetted correctly and it loosens up a little more.
Other than whine think u already are !

re aussie prices raised by others. Thought would provide a relevant example ( have many others actually) To get an engine from the states with all costs included and about 20,000 k of use, to arrive here, is about $1,800 US using xchange rate @ 90cents. Cost for just a top end kit to buy here is close to $950. Basically double that cost and you have an engine!

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
No reply from Thunderbike - very poor form if you ask me.

I pulled the cam cover last weekend and everything checked out "as new" in there so no obvious problems at least. Exhaust clearances were out on three of the valves which didn't surprise me as they were set towards the upper end of spec when the engine was built. The top end has quietened down a little since doing the clearances but the whine is still there, seems to be getting quieter as the miles go up but maybe I'm just getting used to it. The noise is definitely more pronounced when the engine is cold but reduces to an acceptable level when the engine is at full operating temp.

I've checked the oil and filter after each change for contaminants that would indicate high wear levels and have found nothing that I wouldn't expect to find on a newly rebuilt engine so nothing is self-destructing in there.

I gave it it's first taste of throttle and higher rpm's the other day to celebrate breaking the 800Klm (500 mile) mark on the new engine and it reacted pretty much how I expected (yeehaa!!) and sounded meaner than a junkyard dog. I think I am going to be very happy with this engine once I get it jetted correctly and it loosens up a little more.
Very poor form indeed...not even a patronizing response...surprising really in this day. Yes...sound is subjective and no doubt since the cams are functional, TB would have to wrestle that alligator perhaps with others...pandora's box....and they don't want to go there. They could have told you as much at least in an email and put their best spin on it. No doubt it is a grey area....but now will be pause for others considering these cams...may also be idiosyncratic to your mating cam gear...but...likely the cut of the teeth of these particular TB cams. The teeth will likely wear in a bit more.

Glad you gave it a kick. I am leaning toward TPUSA HC pistons and 813 cams...as no question that is what these motors need.
If going BB kit, then the motor begs for more fuel and it gets even more expensive. :)

All the best Aussie and congrats on your hotrod Bonnie...sweet ride.
PS: If you haven't considered a Pieman ignitor...give it some thought. More cam timing begs for more ignition timing and you are leaving some hp on the table if you haven't upgraded your ignitor.

Last edited:
Beautiful noise

While I might be just a little concerned about some of the noises emanating from this engine I am mightily pleased about how it sounds on the road. Just listen to this and tell me it is not sweet music:-

http://vimeo.com/13672687

No, it's not breaking down towards the end of the run, it's just a bumpy road.

Very poor form indeed...not even a patronizing response...surprising really in this day.

I would have to agree - sadly.

I am leaning toward TPUSA HC pistons and 813 cams...as no question that is what these motors need.

If I was a USA resident I probably would have gone this way although here in Australia the availability of premium gas is not 100% reliable, particularly in the more remote areas as I found on my recent Gulf Western run, and going over 11 to 1 comp would probably be pushing the envelope just a little.

.PS: If you haven't considered a Pieman ignitor...give it some thought.

Pieman reprogrammed ignitor is part of the package already. ;)