Does Anyone Carry When Riding?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I've been living overseas for the past 15+ years but will be returning back to the states in the relatively near future. My first big adventure I am already planning is to take my son, hop ourselves up onto the Trumpet and do a MASSIVELY huge circle that starts in NY, halfway point of the circle will be Seattle, WA and then all the way back home. We are starting and finishing the ride at Lady Liberty herself...my favorite monument of them all but I know I am biased because of being a NY'er.

There will be times when we will throw the tent out and camp the night but it won't solely be a camping adventure. If we are feeling grungy, rained on, cranky, tired, whatever else...then we will grab a hotel to spend the night. So with that said, I do plan on carrying a firearm with me for this trip just because of what we will be doing and the camping aspect of it. I have everything arranged to submit the paperwork so that I will have concealed permit. I was just curious if anyone else does this when they ride as well as what do I need to look into as far as riding from state to state? Are there some states that will not recognize a concealed permit from another state? I would like the first half of our circle to go through Canada; Toronto to Sudbury to Winnipeg to Calgary to Vancouver and then cut down to Seattle. Does anyone know that I would even be able to carry my firearm if I go up into Canada? I am trying to dig the information but I am having kind of a tough go at it...I would appreciate any input/advice...thanks guys.

strokerlmt

BOOOOO.......crossing a border with a hand gun is a great way to end your trip quickly. Don't take it from me....do some research about Canada/USA and even state to state.
LMT

Motley

750cc
As far as I'm aware, but I could be wrong, you'll need to leave your pistol at the border there pardner. You could mail/forward it to where you will be crossing into the U.S. again. Besides, you won't need to be packin' heat up this way.

BTW, I've got plenty of room here, in the countryside, if you want a place to pitch your tent.

Motley

750cc
Nice reference, made I laugh!

Being an ex Montrealer living in the Wild West, the only thing I'm packing is Advil....not sure how much good it'll do me in a jam mind!

Happy belated Canada Day Motley!

Heh, being an ex-pat Ulsterman livin' in the colonies I've still got a sense of humour. Happy 4th.

badda_bing

Two Stroke
A good reference for the states is
http://www.usacarry.com
It will tell you the reciprocity states and their rules. If you feel you need to pack, pack. I hate the people that tell you, "you wont need it up here!" those are usually the places you need it most.

An armed society is a polite society!

RJK2

moped
Most states have reciprocity in regards to ccw laws. You'd have to research each state's ccw law. However, many states also have laws that allow the concealed carry of a weapon (no permit required) for "travelers on a peaceful journey" through the state. At least that's what was allowed in Missouri where I'm originally from, and it was referred to as the "travelers exception".

Since most states now have ccw provisions, it seems they have relaxed some of the gun laws. For example, in Texas where I now live, ccw in your vehicle is allowed without a permit. There is no "traveler" requirement; however, there are some stipulations such as you cannot be a "gang member". Also, the ccw is only allowed in the vehicle and does not extend to your person while away from the vehicle. Again, you'd have to research the specifics for each state.

Goin-Commando

Street Tracker
I'd say carry one anyway, as long as no one knows you have it, no one will care.
I carried a J frame .38 in my left boot for 10 years before I got the permit, no one ever knew I had it. Trouble usually finds people who are looking for it.

I had a pistol with me when we crossed back and forth into Canada, we didn't get searched, but that was back in the 80's... Not sure how to handle that now, maybe a safe deposit box somewhere close to the border.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
It will tell you the reciprocity states and their rules. If you feel you need to pack, pack. I hate the people that tell you, "you wont need it up here!" those are usually the places you need it most.

Thank you for this information...this is exactly the kind of stuff I have been trying to hunt down and is why this forum is so damn awesome! I guess I'm not the most proficient researcher on the internet:( My son and I will be staying in Coeur d'Alene on our way back going west to east. I used to love going into Idaho when I started out in the AF and was stationed at Fairchild AFB in Spokane. The pan handle of Idaho is amazingly beautiful country!

Most states have reciprocity in regards to ccw laws. You'd have to research each state's ccw law. However, many states also have laws that allow the concealed carry of a weapon (no permit required) for "travelers on a peaceful journey" through the state. At least that's what was allowed in Missouri where I'm originally from, and it was referred to as the "travelers exception".

Since most states now have ccw provisions, it seems they have relaxed some of the gun laws. For example, in Texas where I now live, ccw in your vehicle is allowed without a permit. There is no "traveler" requirement; however, there are some stipulations such as you cannot be a "gang member". Also, the ccw is only allowed in the vehicle and does not extend to your person while away from the vehicle. Again, you'd have to research the specifics for each state.

Thanks for the information on this as well. My father side of the family are all from Missouri so this is going to be a halfway stop point. It will be the first time my son will be in the show me state and we have a whole bunch of family waiting to meet him. We can't wait to roll into MO and get some good tenderloin sandwiches and hominy...that is if I don't have some family members pulling me aside to beat the shit out of me for keeping a family member away from them so long! I've never lived in Missouri but it a real special place to us and it is great going there to have family give us a real mid-westerners welcome.

If you have a CCP for the State of NY consider yourself lucky! If you do not have one for the State of NY you will be waiting some time to get the paperwork through. That said, if you have a CCP for the State of NY it is not valid in the 5 Burroughs. You have to have a CCP for the borough you live in; example . . . if you have a permit for NYC (which you either have to be Bloomberg himself or God) it is not valid in Brooklyn, Queens, Da Bronx Etc. Very fucked up! So carrying to the Statue of Liberty is risky if your caught. That said - get yourself a Florida CCP or Utah CCP because they are reciprocal in about 30+ states. You would be better served packing a small Mossberg Persuader with pistol grip and shells separated. Rifle laws are much less stringent in all states. Just remember, you cannot travel with the shotgun loaded.
Hedge

I should of noted that I won't be living in the city when I return to New York. Believe it or not, the process is not that impossible IF you live in the counties above Westchester. Not all of the state is reflective of how the city is. I have already contacted some people back in NY and it will be a matter of doing the paperwork and getting the references. I will have 20+ years of service in the military by that point and will have gone through three seperate personal investigations for the two different security clearances that I hold. I am well documented in the file cabinets of Uncle Sam and he definitely knows who I am and what I look like. You do make a good point about going to Lady Liberty; I might have to leave it at home, ride down to SoL, then pick it up as we back track our route and head back up...not sure but that is something I overlooked.

I'd say carry one anyway, as long as no one knows you have it, no one will care.
I carried a J frame .38 in my left boot for 10 years before I got the permit, no one ever knew I had it. Trouble usually finds people who are looking for it.

I had a pistol with me when we crossed back and forth into Canada, we didn't get searched, but that was back in the 80's... Not sure how to handle that now, maybe a safe deposit box somewhere close to the border.

There is a part of me that has said that but I guess I have been following orders for too long. If I can't do this in a legal manner then I will either change my route or leave it at home...not sure which I am going to do, it is still something I have to decide. Going south to see the Grand Canyon and then run up the west coast to Seattle is another route I have planned for an alternative but I would love to ride Canada from Toronto to Vancouver.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
A long time ago in a Galaxy far far away. I took some nice long trips on various bikes and never felt the need to pack a gun. If you want to, do it, but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. :chair: You might develop a headache.:rocket:

Motley

750cc

Really? "Hate" is such a negative word, I'm sorry for you. Careful you don't hurt yourself.

Kframe

Street Tracker
Everytime I'm on a road trip on the bike or car, I bring a handgun. Heck, when I fly somewhere I'll check it and fly with it too.
(If in a car, a long gun comes along too.)

I have a CCW in my state, and I also carry in other states too.

I would never consider or attempt to draw a gun while riding.

My primary motive for carrying is for protection against two-legged predators.
However, realistically, in my neck of the woods, the 'car gun' is most often deployed against maimed but still flailing, car-struck deer.
It's the humane thing to do to be able to put them down quickly.
I'd do the same to a maimed dog or other medium-to-large sized animal.
(That is, I don't think I'll be giving a squirrel the coup-de-grace anytime soon.)

-K

tezza

Street Tracker
fuck im glad to live in australia no need for that shit in oz only think we pack is our roadbag and panadol for hangovers lol

Motley

750cc
..........................but I would love to ride Canada from Toronto to Vancouver.

When you get to, or near, the border send your pistol by Fedex or UPS or whomever to Seattle or Vancouver WA. I'm sure they forward hand guns, don't they?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
That is an option and something I would have to look into about mailing a firearm. From the information shared, that would seem to be my only option if we are going to do the east to west hike across Canada.

Oxblood

750cc
When you get to, or near, the border send your pistol by Fedex or UPS or whomever to Seattle or Vancouver WA. I'm sure they forward hand guns, don't they?

Pretty sure unless you are shipping a handgun back to the manufacturer you have to ship to a ffl holder.

*Edit*
Looks like you can

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
No, I do not but I would gues that outfitters and hunting guides must deal with clients shipping personal firearms all the time. Just a thought - but a phone call to an outfitter or guide in the area you are going might get you the info.