newby with handlebar questions

jus picked me up an 07 T-100 and want to go with some mild cafe mods, I am interested in handlebar options such as the clubman or ace bars or similar.
my questions are 1. do you have to purchase longer cables etc etc or is it a bolt on change with some of these bars?2. are the low bars uncomfortable? and 3. where is the most cost effective place to purchase. thanks alot fellas(and or gals)

loxpump

Rocker
I think if you go wider or higher you may need longer cables. I have M bars mounted upside down and the cables have more room.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
Over the years I've used a number of different bars on a number of different Bonnies (Arlen Ness flattrack bars, HD flattrack bars, stock bars w/ 1" risers, '"Western" bars.. etc). I'm currently running a pair of M bars, which I find to be the best bars I've ever used on any of my Hinckley Bonnies.

None of the bars mentioned above required any cable changes. I did re-route the thottle cables to the right side of the top frame backbone on one set, but I can't remember which set it was.

If you go with M bars, it's a simple (20 minute swap).

Bella Corse - www.bellacorse.com or New Bonnie - www.newbonneville.com - will have what you're looking for.

Keep in mind that all 1" bars will fit your bike - it'll be up to you to figure out which ones are the right bars for your riding style.

strokerlmt

I have the mbars which use same cables etc......When I do longer rides I have them set normal....short fun rides it takes 15 minutes to put them on upside down which gives you a lower cafe feel....good luck...
LMT

ivar

TT Racer
the most time consuming part when swapping bars is getting the left grip off/on. I use WD-40, spray it in under the grip using the supplied hose. When putting it on, use something that evaporates, the the grip will stay put afterwards.

And put a rag on the tank before starting, easy to scratch/dent the tank if you're not careful

tbirdsp

Scooter
the most time consuming part when swapping bars is getting the left grip off/on. I use WD-40, spray it in under the grip using the supplied hose. When putting it on, use something that evaporates, the the grip will stay put afterwards.

And put a rag on the tank before starting, easy to scratch/dent the tank if you're not careful

You need to learn the compressed air trick....

ivar

TT Racer
just need a compressor :)
yeah, should be a breeze getting them off using air. But the WD40 works good too. (Last time I used chain lube)

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
just need a compressor :)
yeah, should be a breeze getting them off using air. But the WD40 works good too. (Last time I used chain lube)

Or use some dishsoap.

I have a set of NB Low Cafe bars for sale. They have been cut about 1" on both ends. PM if interested.

nohawk

Rocker
You should get with Mark about those low cafe bars, The ace bars suck at slow speeds or in town alot.

em_dot

Street Tracker
I have Bella Corse Superbars. No cable change required. Higher and more forward than M-bars. They work really well for me. Yea, cover your tank with a towel or something. That advice saved my tank!

I used an Exacto knife to get stock grips off. Never really likes them, so I put football grips on with hairspray inside (BMX trick). Hairspray is slick when wet and acts as a lubricant, then drys like a mild glue. Exacto knife comes in handy again if going with bar-end mirrors, to neatly remove grip ends.

Took me about an hour going really slowly. It helped having a friend around for a second set of hands.

Hope that helps.