Memorial Day

strokerlmt

I always think about my father on Memorial Day. He flew a Mosquito fighter bomber in WW2 RCAF 410 Squadron. He flew as a night fighter while in England shooting down German night bombers. Then he flew support and cover for The Normandy invasion and Battle of The Bulge. He never spoke of the war or the planes he shot down or the men he killed. He was a born flyer and was a pilot all his life. Let's hope all our men and women in harm's way are ok this weekend......
LMT

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
My dad flew B-24's out of Australia. Never talked about it unless I pulled it out of him.
Thanks to ALL vets for what they do, and did.

GuyM

Street Tracker
Dad was in the Pacific in WWII, Navy. His brother was in the Marines. They both made it through, as did another uncle of mine, also Navy. Both Grandfathers were in the Army in WWI. The Corps was my home for twenty years. My oldest son has recently come home, a veteran.

This family believes in our military, and Memorial Day brings out a lot of good memories of family and friends and the sacrifices made.

Semper Fi, Guy

buckstoy

Street Tracker
Definitely want to remember all of those who have and are serving, my dad worked on B-47's in the Korea era. Brother served in the navy (boomers) during the cold war. Thanks for all our fighting men do:woot::worthy:

Good thread to remember people by.

My Grandfather was in the Korean war. The company he was a part of seemed to always be in the thick of things, including the debacle of Heartbreak Ridge. His company (C) lost 90% of their men.

I read about that one particular battle and it's very sobering.

The attack began on September 13 and quickly deteriorated into a familiar pattern. First, American aircraft, tanks, and artillery would pummel the ridge for hours on end, turning the already barren hillside into a cratered moonscape. Next, the 23rd's infantrymen would clamber up the mountain's rocky slopes, taking out one enemy bunker after another by direct assault. Those who survived to reach the crest arrived exhausted and low on ammunition. Then the inevitable counterattack would come—waves of North Koreans determined to recapture the lost ground at any cost. Many of these counterattacks were conducted at night by fresh troops that the North Koreans were able to bring up under the shelter of neighboring hills. Battles begun by bomb, bullet, and shell were inevitably finished by grenade, trench knife, and fist as formal military engagements degenerated into desperate hand-to-hand brawls. Sometimes dawn broke to reveal the defenders still holding the mountaintop.

And so the battle progressed for two weeks. Because of the constricting terrain and the narrow confines of the objectives, units were committed piecemeal to the fray, one platoon, company, or battalion at a time. Once a particular element had been so ground up that it could no longer stand the strain, a fresh unit would take its place, until the 23rd Infantry as a whole was fairly well shattered.

The fighting was savage—no quarter was given or asked by either side—and the ridgeline (called Heartbreak by the American infantrymen) changed hands many times in an exhausting series of attacks and counterattacks. Several units up to company size (100-200 men) were wiped out. The Americans employed massive artillery barrages, airstrikes and tanks in attempts to drive the North Koreans off the ridge, but the KPA proved extremely hard to dislodge.

He never mentioned a word to me about any of his experiences in the military, but by all accounts, he hated war.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Every male in my family before me was drafted into the military. Most saw combat. My Dad, my Grandpa, my Uncle - were combat vets who would not even talk about it at all, unless to say how much they despised being in the war. Sometimes I ask, but my Dad almost never talks about it, won't go to parades, won't join the VFW - nada....from the few stories I heard he was in some serious gun battles in 'Nam.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
My old man was in the Pacific during WWII in the navy and like so many from his generation, never talked about it. While he was a strong supporter of the US military, he was never one gung-ho for our country to go to war. Everyone has their opinions about things but on this day I just like to remember and pay respects. Unfortunately my house is in boxes right and the Creamsicle just arrived so it is not legal for the road yet. These pictures were from a ride out I did last year when I was stationed in England. This was at Madingley cemetery in Cambridge, England. This is a WWII cemetery for US service members that were not able to be brought back to America to be buried. The cemetery is administered through the Department of Veterans Affairs which is the reason why you will probably see similarities with how the head stones are arranged with Arlington. I would also like to add that the British take great care and respect in not only recognizing but honoring this site. It was a humbling ride out and one I won't forget. I just wish I could of done something similar this year but my thanks and appreciation are in my thoughts.

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I appreciate all the protection the military has given us. On this weekend I think of my best Bud Bryan who was on an aircraft carrier off Viet Nam, my friend Ron who passed away recently and put 20 years in the military from Viet Nam on. And lastly my Grandfather who I never really knew, but was wounded in WWI and almost lost his leg.

To all the men & women who put themselves out there to keep us civvies safe to pursue liberty and happiness, which is of course swinging a leg over our Bonnies.

Nick Morey

Rocker
A day for remembrance, for sure, but consider this...

When times seem tough for our country... and if, or when, we get so disgusted with crap that goes on here... that's the time to remember those who gave everything, for us to live like we do. We owe them that respect...

And at the risk of sounding too political, why the hell is it legal to burn our flag now? How many soldiers have died so we can do that! I missed that one.

Last edited:

cynr1023

TT Racer
I'll be thinking about my Grandfather and Dad. Papa did 31 years in the Infantry; WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He was also the most gentle soul I've ever known. He died two days before I was awarded my Blue Cord for graduating from Infantry AIT. My father was Army for 22 years, with 3 tours in Vietnam. I have a picture of the two of them together in Vietnam. I can only hope to do my family proud.

dp.jpg

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
And at the risk of sounding too political, why the hell is it legal to burn our flag now? How many soldiers have died so we can do that! I missed that one.

I have served my country for fifteen years now and I agree with you Nick on this one. Seeing anyone put our flag into flame enrages me but I get boiled even more when I see it back home. What I tell myself though that the destruction of the symbol by practicing the ideals it represents does have a value. I physically would be unable to do that to the flag, hell, I can't even let it touch the floor/ground without making a dash for her to prevent it from happening but the ideal that the people have the right to protest and petition is what she symbolizes. There is a tremendous value that the people of a nation can hold their elected officials accountable and enforce change through the vote IF the citizenry chooses to do so. That is something that is honorable and is worth preserving and ensure it lasts.

I'll be thinking about my Grandfather and Dad. Papa did 31 years in the Infantry; WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He was also the most gentle soul I've ever known. He died two days before I was awarded my Blue Cord for graduating from Infantry AIT. My father was Army for 22 years, with 3 tours in Vietnam. I have a picture of the two of them together in Vietnam. I can only hope to do my family proud.

For what its worth, you will do your family proud. Take pride in what you do; if you supervise troops then make sure they have every opportunity so that you set them up for success and stand up for them if you think they are being set up for failure. Lead by example and help the person to the left and right of you. You already recognize the path we follow of great people before us. I think it is safe to say that your family is already proud.

I would like to throw a poem up as a show of respect and remembrance. Most people subscribe politics when talking about the military but the people have served knows that the choice of politics is a luxury they cannot have when they deploy in support of their nation.

The bugle echoes shrill and sweet,
But not of war it sings to-day.
The road is rhythmic with the feet
Of men-at-arms who come to pray.

The roses blossom white and red
On tombs where weary soldiers lie;
Flags wave above the honored dead
And martial music cleaves the sky.

Above their wreath-strewn graves we kneel,
They kept the faith and fought the fight.
Through flying lead and crimson steel
They plunged for Freedom and the Right.

May we, their grateful children, learn
Their strength, who lie beneath this sod,
Who went through fire and death to earn
At last the accolade of God.

In shining rank on rank arrayed
They march, the legions of the Lord;
He is their Captain unafraid,
The Prince of Peace...Who brought a sword.

- Joyce Kilmer

Nick Morey

Rocker
"What I tell myself though that the destruction of the symbol by practicing the ideals it represents does have a value." B06Tang

I understand that, freedom of speech and all, but it just seems sometimes ideaologies trump common sense...

whyme

TT Racer
Here is my girls yesterday at a ceremony in my town. They made it on the front page of our local paper. My Dad, a veteran, will be happy to see this. Thanks to all who have served our country.

Attachments

• bilde.jpg
    bilde.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0

em_dot

Street Tracker
I can only hope to do my family proud.

You can only hope? Aren't you in theater now? I'd say you have achieved. They are proud, and we are grateful.

Thanks for serving!

whyme

TT Racer
great picture cynr!! Keep up the good work...we NEED you guys!
Here's my old man getting ready for a jump. The strap between the legs looks so comfortable!

Attachments

• jumpchute.jpg
    jumpchute.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 0

Motley

750cc
Notice that the Brits, Canadians and Aussies are strangely silent in this thread? Can somebody tell us the significance of Memorial Day or it's date?

I know LMT is a Canuck......but he's 'mericanized now.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I have to say that my hat is off to this forum, I am glad I signed up. I posted that poem above to show remembrance for Memorial day on the "other" forum and I got one reply from someone that put a political spin on it...completely fucking classless. Thanks folks...this place is great!