Wide Thruxton Rear Wheels

Hi guys has anybody installed a wide rear wheel and tire on there Thruxton. They look trick and a joint in Sydney does them, british customs and also triumph performance usa sell them. I am wondering apart from aesthetics what the positives and negatives of this mod are. Ultimately is this worth doing as it is a costly mod to try with doubt. Can you wise souls assist me, thanks in advance Ben Dickens:lol2::lol2::rock:

There have been a good number of threads on this, but my advice would be to not use any of the Triumph specific vendors, unless you don't mind spending a lot of money unnecessarily.

If you go to Buchanan spokes and wheels website (buchananspokes.com or something... google it) you can buy whatever you like for a lot less money.

Most people will recommend an aluminum Excel wheel, probably shouldered, 18x4 or something. The width is kind of reliant on what tire you want to run. I think the general opinion is that these bikes can't handle anything bigger than 5"? I don't know. I'm a bit rusty on the details as it's been a long time since I considered doing this and researched it all.

In the end I determined the cost/benefit were leaning heavily in favor of retaining the stock wheels.

That being said, I'll buy your Thruxton front wheel off of you if you sell.

Thanks heaps looking into it however every option req lacing the spokes not many places do this in Melbourne Australia advice people....?.....

You can lace and true them yourself using a YouTube tutorial. It's a 100 year old skill that requires nothing more than patience. Its easy.

Skidmark

Scooter
I have a 5" excel rim and 170 rubber on my Thrux, looks great but is probably too much, it really rolls about the rear, a bit like riding a unicycle. If you can get a dimpled rim (may need to go to 5.5 inch) you won't have to buy new spokes.
I used "Ash's spoked wheels" in Brisbane.
YMMV
Skiddy

No connection with Ash's other than customer.

Post some pics, I am currently thinking of a 160 rear done by Devon in the UK they supply the rim, spokes, hub for front and rear 1000£ ish + black powder coating not too bad postage is a killer):

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Ring Ash's spoked wheels, in Brisbane 07 3262 1598 mob 0422 169 050. He will answer all of your questions in regards to handling pro's and con's etc. I have used him several times and cannot fault the business,he may also be able to assist with postage

Its Done and My Experience

The Journey

Here in Aus Victoria one could say that we are very restricted and the boys in blue and RTA are overzealous, to increase the size of a rim for instance requires not only compliance with the regs, but also ADR Compliance. As per standard ADR and Vic Roads Regs you can increase the size of your rims and wheels however it is restricted to an amount. If you want to go outside the regulated you can however you will require an engineers approval.
:australia:
As per standard you can go upto a 4.25" rim from 3.0" on the rear within standard and go upto a 160 size rear. In other states the rules are different, it is not easy to find this info I spent a good month identifying it to be accurate for Victoria.:sidecar: When I am back at work in a month I will indicate and post the exact relative docs to help any fellow modders in Victoria.:pd2:

My conclusion all the drama and effort to get it done, is it worth it, YES YES YES. The bike is an absolute dream to ride but keep in mind I have a lot of mods as this was my plan. The 2013 Thruxton is fitted with a 4.25" Talon Hub Stainless Spokes and Nipples built by devon wheels in the UK, fitted with Michellen Road Pilot 3 Tyre 160/70 r17 front rim is stock and fitted with a 120r18 instead of 100r18 OEM. I have a fork brace fitted and also a steering damper, ikon shocks,progressive front springs, heaps of other mods. If anybody wants any info on doing this I am happy to help cheers ben :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3411.jpg
    IMG_3411.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3543.jpg
    IMG_3543.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 858HDJES.jpg
    858HDJES.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3523.jpg
    IMG_3523.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3380.jpg
    IMG_3380.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0

vitz

Scooter
I wouldn't go wider than a 4.25" rear rim fitted with a 160 tire. Anything wider and you start getting into clearance issue with the chain and rubbing. I would also recommend Buchanan wheels as they helped me out with my wider rear wheel. I'm currently running a 17"x4.25" rear wheel with a 17"x3.5" front. This set up feels great in the twisties but its also squatted in the front with shorter forks and wider front tire.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I agree mate the 4.25" with a 160 is more than enough and having a 120 fitted on the stock front rim is a nice match. I am really happy with the setup and considered a 17" front @ 3.5", however I thought I may run into speedo problems, as well as the cost for another rim. I was wrong about the speedo as the speedo cable is run from the front sprocket? How did I miss that LOL. I would highly recommend this mod to anybody wanting better handling for twisty's and greater grip in the wet.