We've all been there?

T-boy

Rocker
The "I am an idiot" posting in the Bonnevilles and T-100's thread got me wondering...What's the dumbest, most embarrassing, or most idiotic thing you've ever done on or to your bike? Mine is posted in the above thread.

Come on, we've all got a story to tell. Right? Don't be shy!

ricky

Street Tracker
I thought the kick stand was down once. Only once, though.

+1

Of course I was slighted stoned at the time and after about 45º and the bike was still going down I determined the kick stand wasn't down. :chair:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Getting to a Viewpoint on the Black Canyon of the Gunnison on my FXRP, and being a badass Harley rider back then, putting the sidestand down with a thwack hard enough to slap it back up and having 2 French guys help me get the bike back up.

And also having a few too many and driving my old T10, parking it and falling into a gutter literally when I got off.

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Once stopped at a scenic overlook on my 1800 Goldwing. Put the sidestand down and walked around to get my camera out of the trunk. I didn't notice the "slight" downhill orientation of the parking spot, and after getting the camera out I shut the trunk lid and walked away, only to notice AT THAT TIME the slight downhill! 900 pounds of m/c rolling forward just enough to rock off the sidestand and drop to it's side. About 20 minutes later someone finally came by and helped out! Now I park in gear (or engage reverse) and also know how to pick it up by myself if need be.

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
I didn't have the kickstand down good. I was standing with my back to the bike when it fell and hit me. I rolled ten feet away stopping with my butt in the air. That broke my foot peg. I did this in front of a cute girl I was teaching to ride. That became the how to pick your bike up lesson.

thruxiegirl

TT Racer
Also I was riding a Honda 600 too fast. I went in the ditch
hit a small tree head, knocked the tree down, drove over it and got the bike stuck in the ditch. I tried to wave some cars down for help. Gotta love The South, they waved back and kept driving.

Last summer, dead tired after getting off work, got the bike into the garage, got off intending to put it on the center stand, lost balance, fell over with me under the bike, cushioning it, luckily. No damage, no injury, plenty of embarassment when I had to yell to the teenagers shooting baskets in the alley to come and pull it off me.

Lesson learned: Extend the side stand before getting off it.

Years ago: Came out of a bar dead drunk, couldn't start my CB450, kept dropping it, finally got a cab home. I'd accidentally hit the kill switch, probably saved my life.

I don't drink much anymore, and I don't miss it.

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
Hmmmmm....it's interesting most of these posts deal with sidestands....either up or down but I would not have thought that was the most prevalent goof. I guess I thought that driving accidents would be more frequent.
Veeeerrrrryyyy interesting!

T-boy

Rocker
+1 on that. I'd have thought we would see more daredevil stunts that went awry! Years ago I had a BMW RS1100R and I was showing off for my kids just after the first spring thaw. Needless to say, there was still one patch of ice left in the road. I went about 50 feet almost down to the left, almost down to the right, to the left, to the right, etc. Never did touch ground though. Kids just thought I was one hell-of-a rider. Had to empty my pants when I finally came to a stop. My sidestand was up at the time, however.

Ben Quick

Street Tracker
Rode way too many miles in the cold and wet while looking for a motel room. Upon finding a place to stay... I just rode up and fell over. Artie Johnson would have been proud. No harm to the bike or me but my girl friend wanted to kill me. Hypothermia sucks.

Ohio TT

Two Stroke
I'd probably end up with a small book if I added up all the screw-ups I've pulled over the last forty odd years on two wheels not to mention the Honda ATC three-wheel crashes. So let me tell one on a guy I used to work with. One hot summer night he was bar-hopping on his Harley(imagine that)around the small local lake resort town where he lived. At one of his stops he picked up a local hotty who wanted to go to another bar about eight miles out of town. As they are cruising down the highway she got a little frisky and got his pants partially pulled down. So they pull up to the front door of the bar,naturally while the band is on break and he discovers that it is damn near impossible to put your feet down on the ground with your pants down. So he falls over and shows his ass to the delight and applause of the crowd. And another local legend is born.

Ohio TT

Two Stroke
I owned Harley's-and liked 'em!

I still own a Harley and like it. Some of the folks on this forum don't so maybe I'm pandering to them. I've been slammed before for praising Harley's, so I guess I'm damned if I do or damned if I don't. Go figure. :cheers: