Used Parts

derby boy

Two Stroke
I keep browsing the "Parts for Sale" section in hopes of finding something I need or want. Now am I just a tight-ass or do people think their used stuff is worth 80% of brand new out the box parts.
I have to admit that I got a gonga deal on some stock silencers from there, but in general I don't see any responses to these adds with high priced used part.
OK go ahead beat me stupid :chair::hung:

drlapo

Hooligan
a used part is worth , at best, 50% of retail new
new in box but from a private part: maybe 80%
there is an idiot on eBay asking $88 for two used turn signal lamps

mikenva

Rocker
Then again when you see what triumph gets for some of the parts new that might be 50%.Motor parts for these things are crazy high priced $1500 fot a bare head ,$3450 for crank cases.$900.00 for a crank.Hell you can buy parts for a V8 car alot cheaper.

KingBear

Hooligan
I agree. It's one thing if it's a hard-to-find part, but that's generally not the case here. Seems to me like a lot of folk either have buyer's remorse or they want their OEM parts to fully fund their after-markets. Either way, I don't buy it.

Bonafide

NBR founder
As someone who has some parts listed here for sale, I'm kinda taking offense to this thread .... matter of fact, it seems down right rude.

A used part is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If the price is higher than you can afford or want to pay, go elsewhere - but starting a thread so you can bitch/whine about the free trade market? seems lame to me. Go buy the stuff new if you dont like the price of used parts on the private market, and saying used parts are only worth 50%, brother, that's your opinion not the standard.

Carnation

Street Tracker
Sometimes I just want stuff out of the way so I let it go cheap, but then on occasion I've sold parts on Ebay for more than I paid for them (on Ebay).

As the Big Man said, used parts are worth what you're willing to pay.

Dave

Street Tracker
seems like a no-brainer to me... if you think it costs too much, you don't really want it anyway.

koifarm

Hooligan
Exactly why most members list used items here and not on ebay. Here you get an honest price from an honest member who will deliver exactly what is advertised and for a fair price.
It's like Bonafide says, if the price isn't what you want to pay, go find it somewhere else and don't grumble about whats listed on NewBonneville and how much it sells for. Using ebay generally gets you in a price duel with someone and you end up paying way more than the part is worth in the first place.

If I want a used part and feel it's listed too high, I'll PM the seller my offer, if he takes it good, if not then we move on. I'm not a lowballer, however, or a tire-kicking flake. That shit pisses me off.

I agree with Sweat. I'll make an offer commensurate with what I think is reasonable and what I'm willing to pay, and if that's not good, I move on. No hard feelings, and no interest in nickle-and-diming down to the lowest common denominator either.

Same attitude if I'm a seller. Make me an offer and more than likely, I'll take it if I think it's reasonable, even if it's less than what I was asking.

KingBear

Hooligan
Yeah, I think we all kinda know that no one is forced to buy anything they don't want at a price they don't want to pay. Nobody is calling anybody else out. The point is that there are reputable dealers who offer new parts and accessories online for 15-20% off, sometimes more.

On the other hand, I've also seen members here and elsewhere who have offered parts they've taken off their bikes to others who needed them for free or just the cost of shipping, so no one can say we don't have plenty of good will here.

derby boy

Two Stroke
Well, at least I got some spirited conversation going. Seems like 50/50, some agree, some slapped me. It's all good, I have thick skin (and a thick head).
As KingBear mentioned some stuff is a give away. I myself got some stock exhaust, brand new for the price of shipping. I am extremely appreciative to that individual and my door is open if he ever comes thru Tucson.
And others are right, I don't have to buy it here. I can go elsewhere. I was just making an observation and wondered what other members thought.

ricky

Street Tracker
As someone who has some parts listed here for sale, I'm kinda taking offense to this thread .... matter of fact, it seems down right rude.

A used part is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If the price is higher than you can afford or want to pay, go elsewhere - but starting a thread so you can bitch/whine about the free trade market? seems lame to me. Go buy the stuff new if you dont like the price of used parts on the private market, and saying used parts are only worth 50%, brother, that's your opinion not the standard.

With all due respect, Dude, this is the correct place to talk about these things.
I don't know if the OP was directed at you or not but I'd rather see chatter here than under the for sale section.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
As my brother said "all roads lead to parts". I'm given a chance to get deals at one dealer in my area and the other dealer gives you free bottled water and says hi to you when you walk in.

Used parts are always a gamble. that's why they're called used. I think it is neat that there's even a place you can shop from the comfort of your home. That's worth something!!

mikenva

Rocker
I think if some that bitch at the price of used parts would look at what they cost new they might just shut the fuck up lol.If you bought your bike a peace at a time from triumph it would cost about $20,000 to $30,000

Bonafide

NBR founder
With all due respect, Dude, this is the correct place to talk about these things.
I don't know if the OP was directed at you or not but I'd rather see chatter here than under the for sale section.

I will agree that the Ace Cafe is the proper place for chatting, and not someone's classified ad. That was not where my point was being directed and kinda hard for me to see how you got to that from my reply, my point was .. complaining in an open forum about someone's used parts pricing ... is a big lame-o, IMO.

ricky

Street Tracker
OK, we're on the same page then.
All complaints about pricing should be directed via pm's or emails to the person selling.
Keep private.

:ride: