Two up on the America?

GuyM

Street Tracker
Currently riding a Scrambler, and love the bike. After the addition of a set of pipes, and a little tuning, it's producing decent power - but it's still not much of a bike for comfortable two-up riding. My wife of nearly 30 years and I both enjoy a good two-up day long ride - but not so much on the Scram. Am seeking a second bike, something comfortable for two for several hours at a time.

Will the America handle the two-up chore comfortably? It's certainly a good looking bike. Haven't ridden one though...

ThomWill

Scooter
I have a T100 and an America. Both my wife and my daughter (who rides a LOT more than my wife) prefer the America. I think it handles fine two up have not had any issues at all.

RonL

Scooter
My SO found a few of the bikes I was looking at feeling too cramped or harsh. She's very happy riding on the back of the Speedmaster once I added the Touring Seat. We need to get her a backrest so she can relax more but we've been out for several hours at a time and she's had no complaints.

Not to get personal, but I suppose part of the question depends on how big folks are.

GuyM

Street Tracker
Good point Ron. I'm in my 50's now, and still lift several times a week, run about 210 most of the time. Wife of thirty years is no longer the 115 pound girl I married... More like 150 or so I'd guess. I don't ask. One of the secrets of a long and happy marriage!

So, between the two of us, that's 360 pounds or so on the bike.

I rode a couple of Star/Yamaha cruisers earlier this year, also a Road King. Actually kind of liked the smaller of the two Star cruisers, it was pretty relaxed and nice to ride. Haven't ridden the America yet.

Also rode a nice, lightly used Yamaha FJR 1300 sport/touring bike... Wow! Very nice! Wife didn't like it as much, we took it out for a two-up ride and I liked it a lot. Great power, excellent handling, very comfortable seat & fairing. Nice "standard" riding position too. But... She wasn't overly impressed with it, and the two-up bike is much about her & us, not so much about me.

Thanks for the input so far guys!

zmilin

Street Tracker
Guy, Im 300# on my own, so Id say close to what your wanting to put on the bike and unless you put on some good shocks I would not do 2up on the America. I have 440s and love em. They make a huge difference.
BUT....if I was to add gear for two on the bike I might be a little leary of it.

Celt from BA.com is a bigger fellow (gotta be closer to 350#) and his wife used to ride with him...she was not a happy camper. Both said the ride was dooable but not comfortable.

JimF

moped
Guy, my wife and I have done several 4 - 5 hour rides on the America, she's says it's very comfortable. We usually take a short break for fuel and a stretch at the 2 1/2 hour mark. We did do one 7 hour day, once, 4 leisurely hours out and a more direct 3 hours back. She didn't have any complaints. She's lighter now, but my guess is she weighed about 160 at that time.

As for the power issue, on that same trip, on a very steep climb, I did drop down a gear just before reaching the top. I don't think I would really have had to, but wanted the extra to pass a semi before he lost the climbing lane. Also, we had a bit more stuff packed along, in a sissy bar bag, in case we decided to overnight it. Usually, for day trips, we only have what fits into the saddle bags.

Hope this helps.

Jim F

Shamus

Scooter
Guy, been riding my America for over a year now. I typically do 300-500 mile rides every Monday. My wife cant stand more than about 45 minutes. The bike handles the two of us very well, but the stock pillion and back rest are not to the wife's liking. Pillion uncomfortable and the stock back rest leans too far back in her opinion. To be fair, she does have a back issue, so maybe not the best judge. She has told me that she would like to buy one of the "lazy boy" seat style bikes when the kids are all on their own. I think she is meaning one of the full dresser HD's or a Gold Wing style for extended touring. She needs to be comfortable for her driving naps. But we have never had a power issue with the America. Between the two of us, we go about 380 lbs.

Rick

Geoh3

Scooter
Guy, been riding my America for over a year now. I typically do 300-500 mile rides every Monday. My wife cant stand more than about 45 minutes. The bike handles the two of us very well, but the stock pillion and back rest are not to the wife's liking. Pillion uncomfortable and the stock back rest leans too far back in her opinion. To be fair, she does have a back issue, so maybe not the best judge. She has told me that she would like to buy one of the "lazy boy" seat style bikes when the kids are all on their own. I think she is meaning one of the full dresser HD's or a Gold Wing style for extended touring. She needs to be comfortable for her driving naps. But we have never had a power issue with the America. Between the two of us, we go about 380 lbs.

Rick

+1 ... my wife is good for an hour or so for the same reasons.
thinking this might be the solution...

:sidecar:

RonL

Scooter
I specifically got the Touring seat so Renee would be more comfortable. From what I've heard, it's head and shoulders above the stock America pillion.

Shamus, I know what you mean about the backrest. I look at those and automatically think "recliner". Unfortunately, choices for backrests on these bikes aren't numerous. Of all the backrests I've seen, the one from newspeedmaster.com seems to be the closest and most upright. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in chrome.

Besides making one yourself, it looks like the choices are the Triumph one, the newspeedmaster.com one, and there's a HAC unit from customcruisers.com. I'm sure though, that knowing the width and bolt spacing, it may be possible to find another unit that'll fit or maybe a combo of things that work just fine.

GuyM

Street Tracker
Good stuff guys - thanks for all the great info... Practical stuff.

I don't feel any need for 100 hp, and in fact I'm pretty happy with the power of my near-stock Scram, which I believe shares the same 270 degree, 865 cc engine with the America. Good torque, not so impressive power at higher RPM's.

Great input on the passenger seat/backrest - that's stuff we need to know before taking the leap into a new bike...

Guy

Dave

Street Tracker
I have the Corbin seats on mine and tall Triumph backrest and my wife is as comfortable as can be for several hundred mile day trips.