"Top Speed" on Thruxtons

DavidC

Rocker
www.topspeed.com/motorcycles has an interesting, photo-laden, write up on Thruxtons. Damn, I wish I could create a link. If someone told me how, I would.
But if you like the Thrux, you'll find this interesting.
Whoa, a link! How the hell...

Bonafide

NBR founder
they say +/- 120mph ... which is right. Mine will hit the 125+ mark, but there's a serious correction factor vs display speed. My bike (as most Triumph modern classics) reads faster than actual.

BTW, the auto link is forum feature. You type a www address and the forum will automatically wrap it in URL brackets.

My Superscram now hits the rev limiter at 125mph (200kph indicated), which feels really fast with the Scram's sit-up-&-beg riding position. Though I'd imagine it'd be just as thrilling in the Thrux's racer's crouch.
My Street Triple's digital speedo has always been exceptionally accurate, whenever I've compared it against road side speed checkers. The fastest I've had that is 245kph (153mph). & that feels fast, whatever the ride position.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Ran mine past a speedtrap yesterday that shows your speed, I went back a couple of times to check my speedo against the indicated speed on the radar trap and when I went past at a consistent 30mph the indicated speed on the trap was...

only 26mph !

That means when I do an indicated 120mph my 'actual' is only 104mph!

Damn!!!!!

only if the correction % is a constant throughout the higher speeds .. and that's not always the case. It may very well be 4 mph off even when you're 120mph.

BTW - that's not a radar 'trap' ... it's a speed trailer. Meant to remind people of the posted speed limit and you cant be cited based on the speed displayed on the trailer (non-certified radar). The trailers location is based on complaints received from citizens (in my area).

mikenva

Rocker
I dont think these bikes change how much there off with higher speeds mine seams if im off 5 mph at 45 im off 5 mph at 65 Its like the niddle is just in wrong place lol

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I've been to 130 indicated. . . don't know the actual, seems as if i go 55 by a speed limit sign it reads about 51 or 52