Tiger 1050 specs and thoughts ??

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Thinking of getting Tiger 1050 and want to know if there is much difference with the current models and those of the previous few years and how far back would it be before there was a significant difference between models. I like the write ups of the current model but I don't think I could or would buy new trying to aim more for a low klm good price earlier model.

Just quickly looking through a bike sale mag at work today and there was a 2010 with low K's at not a bad price, what say for instance would this model not have that the new one has. I am just thinking at the moment as I would have to let either my T100 or Thruxton go and that would be like chewing off an arm but I just want to tax somebody else's brain for starters before I start looking up the net at all the different years model specs.

I am being drawn to the fact that the Tiger seems to be a great all rounder of a bike with fantastic performance and handling (This is only based on by what I have read...oh yeah and being shown up in a nice tight bend one day by one) and I am looking for something that will allow for longer riding times in comfort and the capabilities of hitting the dirt if needed but I really do love the no frills ride of the Bonnies with there just back to basic nature jump on a bike and ride type of style.

So with this in mind would the Tiger press the right buttons.....I know that is a big, lots of answers question based on the individuals own personal opinion but every time I ride my Bonnies they give me a huge smile, weather it be just back and forth to work every day (I try not to drive because it causes withdrawals) or going for a nice trip on the weekend around the mountains with the missus.

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
Not sure how to answer your question.but I do have a Tiger 1050 and a Bonnie. The 1050 is my "go WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over there" bike-works a treat. I know over a dozen Tiger owners ans we have no real issues with the bike.

hello Twodogs; I have a 2003 T100 and a 2010 Tiger1050 and love both bikes. what you should decide before you buy one is what you want to do with each type of bike. the tiger is a wonderful and effective Swiss Rmy knife that is quick (you will keep up with many sports bikes), tours well and can be taken around the orner or the nearest shop/caffe whereas the Bonnie is good at showing off.

definitely keep the Bonnie and know what the Tiger will bring you. enjoy both bikes for what each can do - I know I am

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I seem to have made the decision to let the Thruxton go which was not an easy choice to make and start looking for a Tiger. I have seen quite a few 07's for sale and a few 09 and 10's all with different prices and kilometres and accessories fitted. One that stands out is a gold 07 20,000klm with new tires, chain, brake pads and has the top and side panniers and hand guards fitted. There is also a black 09 with 10,000klm with top and side panniers as well but it is 3K dearer. I like the gold better then black but am tossing up if it is worth paying the extra 3k for a newer model and with half the K's (which really is only 1/2 to 1 year riding difference - average) but as far as model specs upgrades gains I don't think there have been any so is 10000 klm's less worth 3K? With what I have read there have been little change with the models apart from colours, possibly a suspension tweak with the 11's and lower bars on the 12's but with all models having ABS as an option and the SE's having ABS and the panniers as standard. Is this right or have I read wrong. I am also a bit disappointed that the panniers do not fit a helmet in or so every body keeps reporting.

Last edited:

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
Nope. The panniers are way too small for a helmet. Plenty of us add a top case-not the Triumph one as I think it's way too small. CooCase or GIVI make a good case in the 48 litre size which will fit two helmets or helmet and jacket. Pops off when not needed.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
All the bikes I see for sale are in other states so I took the opportunity the other week endto go to a dealer and take one of theirs for a ride. An 08 with 16,000klm's on it and wow what a bike. It was comfy for me (6FT 100Kg) and for the missus 5Ft3 62Kg, it was a fantastic feeling power delivery, soooo smooth and yet nice and torquey, brakes felt good, suspension was nice (I was aiming for as many bumps as I could get) and it was soooo easy to ride, first corner had you feeling like you had been riding it for ages. But unfortunately no character, they don't look as cool as the Bonnies, sound as good as the Bonnies (I suppose a set of pipes would be the first of the updates) and of course it does not give you that nostalgic ride of the Bonnies. With that being said I know that I am comparing Oranges and lemons but to try and choose either the Thrux or the T100 in the shed that would have to go is a real toughie. I do know though no mater how much the missus loves coming for a ride on the back of the T100 the Tiger was just sooo much better for this type of riding and I reckon that will then lead to a lot of longer trips and over night stays and everything else that is what motorbiking with a partner is all about. I think I will get a third and make a decision further down the track but hopefully she will hurry up and get her license and start riding the Thruxton for whom the bike was originally bought for (Well that is what I said anyway so I could get it, probably just say the same for the Tiger) and then if three bikes are too costly and she is on her own bike then the decision may not be too hard to make with letting the tiger go..........possibly??

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Just my 2 cents - for me its about the ride, not the bike. Although admittedly I would never sell my Bonneville, if you want to tour 2 up then get the right bike and do it. The memories, experiences and time together is so much more important than any particular bike. The T100 is a total classic and as long as you have that, you have 90% of what the Thrux is, and vice versa. So let go of one.