Suspension upgrades for a Street Triple

Alright! Let's get this party started.
I suppose everybody knows, by now, that Triumph's Street Triple 675 is a flawed masterpiece. That is, it's a fantastic motorbike that's let down by it's cheap suspension & brakes.
I personally don't mind the brakes too much. But there was no way I could live with that stoneage suspension. So, like my Scrambler, I had to junk almost new suspenders, for something more acceptable.
There were plenty of alternatives. From fitting Daytona gear, to buying after-market. I decided to go after-market, as most of the Daytona stuff on the market, is there because their owners were upgrading. So if it wasn't good enough for them, why would I want it?
There are many choices after-market. Ohlins, Elka & Maxton make top quality shocks, & there are many others too. I went for the Maxtons, as they're a small company, with a lot of experience setting up race bikes. & I liked the hands-on, personal approach of dealing with the guy who owns the firm (a very nice & knowlegable chap). I've been very happy with the results.
The front suspension's a little harder, as the original forks are so flawed, it takes more than a simple rebuild to cure them. & they require cartridge inserts to fix properly. Traxion cartridges are the expensive, top-draw option. But I decided to stick with Maxtons, & got their cartridges instead. Again with very good results. The only problem I had with Maxton, is that it took them 10 weeks to fill my order. But they were experiencing some exceptional production problems at that time (they didn't get specific about it). & their usual build time is around 3 weeks.
It's a sexy looking shocky too.;)

Attachments

• Maxtons001-1.jpg
    Maxtons001-1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

StreetT675

Two Stroke
Scratch,

Have to agree, I starting to look at Maxton for mine but as I am in the middle of buying a house so it's going to have to wait so I can see how much is left in the kitty maybe get it done for the spring time next year.

Having ridden the R and my own standard back to back I have to say that putting on "standard" D675 Suspension is not a great improvement to the ride. The ride height of the bike is lifted due to the slightly longer forks and the longer rear shock. As you have said the standard Street brakes are perfectly adequate but are not exceptional especially with a pillion.

The R brakes however are much better as the bike has D675 folks and uses the radial brakes as well. So if people buy an R they will still proberbly need to do the suspension upgrades that the Daytona 675 riders are doing to their bikes. Which I think defeats the object of th R somewhat, However I guess the D675 forks are easier to upgrade and you get the better brakes.

Last edited:

Marker

Scooter
I don't know how heavy you guys are, but the suspesion really doesn't bother me a whole lot. 160 lbs. I have however noticed it expecially when 2 up. That being said, i will eventually mess with the suspension but not anytime in the near future. Perhaps (not this winter) but the next one.

I hope your upgrades make this bike what your looking for. did the rear shock upgrade make the bike alot smoother before you added the front upgrades?

StreetT675

Two Stroke
Marker I am a similar weight to you my biggest problem is with the front end, the roads around my way are not in great condition this combined with the sensitive throttle makes the bike a bit of bukking bronko on the uneven road surface.

On decent quality roads the front end is planted and great but on my country lanes it is a uncomfortable and makes going at speed round them dangourous.

Dawgone

Two Stroke
If it makes y'all feel any better, the suspension on the "Speed" triple aint all that much better. If at all.

Like Street said, if the Road is smooth front and rear work fine. But here in Podunk Cali, they don't spend our tax money on the roads... probably on Hummers for Arnold!

I'm saving my pennies for Ohlins, front and rear.

This Bike deserves better than it got from the Factory, but then it woulda cost way more than it did... and I imagine that most of the "Hooligans" don't really care about the front... since it's not intended to be on the ground most of the time!

Marker

Scooter
If it makes y'all feel any better, the suspension on the "Speed" triple aint all that much better. If at all.

Like Street said, if the Road is smooth front and rear work fine. But here in Podunk Cali, they don't spend our tax money on the roads... probably on Hummers for Arnold!

I'm saving my pennies for Ohlins, front and rear.

This Bike deserves better than it got from the Factory, but then it woulda cost way more than it did... and I imagine that most of the "Hooligans" don't really care about the front... since it's not intended to be on the ground most of the time!

Thats just it, I am a holligan and ride the bike like it was meant to be.

Could it be better? YES! do i intend to get it there? YES! that is exactly why the bike was most appealing to me, i get to upgrade it the way i want it to be. That is not for everyone but i enjoy the work and modding the piss outta my toys. I'm actually thinking about putting a kawi front on my bike.

I do agree that bumpy roads can be a bitch, but after you get used to the throttle you barely notice it.

StreetT675

Two Stroke
Dawgone,

I had heard that about the Speedy,someone said that they got the linkage design wrong and the whole geometary of the bike is off because of it, don't know how true that is I'm no suspension expert.

Like you say though the front on the speedy is designed for hooligans so whats it matter :D It only see's tarmac when comming to a stop!

I can live with the backend moving around but I don't like the front wheel bouncing around it scares me shitless

Dawgone

Two Stroke
Dawgone,

I had heard that about the Speedy,someone said that they got the linkage design wrong and the whole geometary of the bike is off because of it, don't know how true that is I'm no suspension expert.

That's the first time i've heard that, but it's quite possible. I had a retired WSB race tuner set the suspension up... while it's much better than it was delivered it's fuckin stiff and real bumpy roads make pushin the pace an adeventure at times.

But it's the front that's the biggest issue. I'd love to have some compliance over the crappy road surfaces, coupled with excellent turning and stability.

I've got 2 outt 3, just as long as the roads relatively smooth !

But I gotta re-itterate, we pay 10K, not 15-20k which seems to be the price range for the Ohlin equipped. I gotta think that about $3,500.00 would make the Speedy as easy to ride as the 1098"R" - I had a chance to ride a few weeks back.. and maybe even a little more fun... since I was shittin bricks the whole time (that bike was worth more than I am alive :eek:)

Marker

Scooter
When you think about it though, MOST riders never really need a super expensive suspension and it keeps the price of triumph's lower. If you need it, you can upgrade to it and your bike is all the more better. if i was triumph, i would work with the dealers and some aftermarket providers to see if you could get your bike "packaged" so if you wanted the expensive shocks, you could order your bike with it installed already.

Speaking of shit....

Attachments

• poorunner.jpg
    poorunner.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
I did the front & back at the same time. So I can't say which made the most improvement. Only that the overall improvement was marked & major.
I do most of my (fast) riding on badly repaired bitumen too (less Cops). So I was looking to smooth out bumps & corrugations, & it's certainly done that. I've also got medical issues which nessecitate that I need a top-grade suspension in my bikes, & I accept that younger healthier riders (Triumph's target market for these bikes) wouldn't need as smooth a ride as I do.
I also agree that by using cheap suspension & brakes, they do keep costs down. & this allows Triumph to market these bikes at a competetive price. I bought my bike because of it's bang-for-buck value. & even factoring in a suspension upgrade, the bike is still better value than the equivelent Ducati's, which were competeting for my business at that time.
So I can understand why many people would be happy with the stock set-up, & I'm, not trying to talk anyone into expensive upgrades they don't need. I'm just trying to start a discussion on the best options for those of us who like their bikes to be the best they can.

Marker

Scooter
how hard was the front end to fix? Any special mods needed to be made? how hard is swapping the cartiges? never done it and am now quite curious. I know cars fairly well, but bikes are still relativly new to me. :cool:

I had a mechanic fit them, because there was some minor modification that needed to be done to the lower forks. & as I'm a lousy wrencher, I had it done proffessionally.
The mod instructions were included with the cartridges, & I think it shouldn't be too difficult, if your capable with a spanner.

Marker

Scooter
I had a mechanic fit them, because there was some minor modification that needed to be done to the lower forks. & as I'm a lousy wrencher, I had it done proffessionally.
The mod instructions were included with the cartridges, & I think it shouldn't be too difficult, if your capable with a spanner.

Hmmmm...that works. I will prolly look into this in next season. If i can't do it, i know plenty of people who can.

Marker

Scooter
Old scratch..did your upgrade make hte bike fully adjustable? I asked this question an another forum ( about your cartriges) and he said he that there is alot of work involved, is it possible he went all out to make his stock forks fully adjustable?