Pinstripe removal from Thruxton Cowl

Laymonite

moped
Allright so here is my dilemma. I got a black Thruxton cowl with the gold pinstriping. I would like to remove the pinstriping. How easy is it to remove? Is the pinstriping paint or is it the vinyl type pinstriping like they use on cars? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Laymonite

AceT100

Rocker
The stripes on the tanks are proper paint and require lots of gentle sanding with very high grade paper to remove.

It should be very obvious if they are stick on.

Laymonite

moped
Cowl.jpg

Here is what it looks like...
It feels like pinstripe with clear coat over the top.
Now is it easily removable or will I make a mess of it?

I'm not looking to repaint it just remove the pinstripes and replace with the matching cream and black pinstriping of the tank.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Rocker
i know all my stripes are under the clear coat.

so to answer you question if yours are the same, theyre not comin off without painting the whole sha-bang

JTIrwin27

Scooter
I have the same bike. they are cleared over vinal. strip whole tank and repaint. if you dont you will not have an even spread of clear when you respray nor will you ever match the metal flake

Twodogs

Street Tracker
For a quick fix if you don't want to spend the money on a respray would be to go to a place that does automotive/motorcycle vinyl and get them to cover the gold stripe with a vinyl stripe in the colour you are after, it will not be expensive and will not be really noticed that it has not been cleared over unless you go pointing it out to every tom dick and harry other wise a strip and paint with base coat black, stripe applied and 2 pak clear coat will cost you (In my corner of the world) any where between $250 - $350 by an automotive/motorcycle painter, a bit cheaper if you strip it yourself so they only have to paint it. My opinion is to Invest in a respray, do it right do it once, these bikes deserve it.

Laymonite

moped
Got the black one being sent to me - (their mistake as I ordered the black one) and found a guy who does air brush work that is going to match the paint on the tank and give me one solid cream thick strip flanked by the gold stripes just like the tank. Thanks guys.

Charro

Scooter
Got the black one being sent to me - (their mistake as I ordered the black one) and found a guy who does air brush work that is going to match the paint on the tank and give me one solid cream thick strip flanked by the gold stripes just like the tank. Thanks guys.

I told you :)

Andy