Oregon, Washington riders....

zmilin

Street Tracker
So....I need some advice.
In May Karen and I (Karen is my gf and rides her own America) will be riding down the Washington/Oregon coastline down to about Bandon then head East to Crater Lake and back up to Bend, over to Portland around Mt Hood (its just a rough plan for now) and ultimately wind up home, here in Seattle.

What Id like to know are what should we stop and see along the way?
The coast is going to be awesome, I know the typical things like Long Beach, Seaside, Cannon Beach....Id like to see more of the "hidden gems".

One stop on the journey that is a non negotiable is Tillamook for a grilled cheese and tomatoe soup...damn I miss living in Oregon!

ricky

Street Tracker
You might be running into a problem.
When in May are you going?
Why? Because school is getting out and you don't really want to be on 101 trying to dodge motor homes the entire coast line.
If you go early in May, you should be good. Any later and you're now into the summer vacation crowd.

six by six

Two Stroke
Yeah you'd get chilly but that is NW riding. Just bundle up and ride. I lived in Oregon for three years. I can mention great seafood in Newport, OR and the Rogue Ale House there. South of Bend there are some lava tube caves to explore, pretty interesting.

REVOLT

Street Tracker
BIG Z...

You guys have Rain gear right? If not...Get some...I've been using the crap out of mine since the end of January...This mornings commute was equal to a 34 mile Gas station Car Wash...seriously...Especially on the Coast...as you know...

The Coast to eat? Sip'N'Sand in Lincoln City will fill your Big Ole' tank with some awesome Biscuits'N'Gravy...Pelican Brew Pub in Pacific City kicks Ass...lot's of Motorcycles there come Spring time-Summer...

You know about the Access to the Beach in Lincoln City? It's only a small portion (not like Long Beach, WA)...but it's usually hard packed and you can ride your Trump on it...becareful going down and up the access road...

You ever been to Tierra Del Mar (just north from Pacific City?), after you go through Tillamook...take the exit for Sand Lake to Pacific City...you'll ride right next to the lookouts...Beautiful!! Cape Lookout...from the Bonnie...
Sportage-Coast4292006028.jpg

There is an Awesome little place to stay the night in Yachats (Yah-Hots), just south of Newport (Check out Mo's Clam Chowder in Newport)...Anyhow, the place in Yachats is called the Way-Side Lodges...small Bungalows for cheap...pot belly stoves and the ocean is maybe 50 yards away!! Cheap too, You'll Love it!! http://www.waysidelodge.com/

HWY 97 from North from Crater Lake will get you to Bend...but it's Boring...just a heads up...Now if you head back to I-5 from Crater...you'll get speed and civilization on your side...the Hammer on HWY 20!! It Rocks...Off of I-5 (Albany area) to Bend is Amazing...Lot's of Steep grades so mind your Brakes...

HWY 97 From Bend North to Madras is Beautiful (High Desert), then you can jump on HWY 26 West to Portland (over Mt. Hood- Check the weather)...Give me a ring when you head into Portland...

I know I'm forgetting something...I'll keep you posted!:c

zmilin

Street Tracker
You might be running into a problem.
When in May are you going?
Why? Because school is getting out and you don't really want to be on 101 trying to dodge motor homes the entire coast line.
If you go early in May, you should be good. Any later and you're now into the summer vacation crowd.

Were going to be on the road between May 9 and May 17. Spring Break is in March/April so thats not really a concern, Memorial Day is the last week of May so another bullet dodged there and school lets out in mid June so again...no worries.
Good looking out tho!

Early May is GOOD? riding weather in the northwest????? Would you get chilled a bit?
Rain, Cold...HA! We live in the NW...with the exception of pissing down rain were good. Actually by Mid May the weather should be startign to lighten up. Typically we can expect Lows in mid 40s and Highs in low 60s.

South of Bend there are some lava tube caves to explore
Cool! Ill have to look those up. Thank you!

You know about the Access to the Beach in Lincoln City? It's only a small portion (not like Long Beach, WA)...but it's usually hard packed and you can ride your Trump on it...becareful going down and up the access road...

You ever been to Tierra Del Mar (just north from Pacific City?), after you go through Tillamook...take the exit for Sand Lake to Pacific City...you'll ride right next to the lookouts...Beautiful!! Cape Lookout...from the Bonnie...

the place in Yachats is called the Way-Side Lodges...small Bungalows for cheap...pot belly stoves and the ocean is maybe 50 yards away!! Cheap too, You'll Love it!! http://www.waysidelodge.com/
Mondo....AWESOME dude! Thank you for the input. Exactly the kind of stuff were looking for! Nice Pic!

Were planning on staying off 97 and 5 as much as possible. The tentative plan is Crater Lake to Bend via 97 only cause we have to (Im debating Crater Lake to Springfield via 58). From Bend were either taking 20/22 West, probably 99W to McMinville.
From there , after an overnighter, were planning on heading to Mt St Helens, staying at a B&B then heading home to Seattle via smaller back roads (again...staying of the superslab).
Roughly a few hundred miles per day (some longer some shorter), maybe a couple of rest days if we like where were at and the main points....Coast Hwy south, Crater Lake, St Helens and a great kick off to the riding season.

If we wind up heading through Portland and spending any time there Ill be sure to get a hold of you. That would be real cool!

Then there is always that possiblity Mother Nature has other plans for the weather and we scrap the entire trip! :kick: