New tyres

j.mac

Scooter
Hi there I've got a scrambler and needing new back tyre. Only done 3200 miles but its shot. I was wondering about changing to a road only pair, but what type. Has anyone got any ideas. john

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
Hi there I've got a scrambler and needing new back tyre. Only done 3200 miles but its shot. I was wondering about changing to a road only pair, but what type. Has anyone got any ideas. john

Well... this question can be a huge can of worms lad. First, do you know why your original tire is toast after 3200 miles? Is it the original tire (BS TrailWing)? That's pretty short life for the OEM tires is the reason for the question.

I pulled the OE tires off because they were complete rubbish off the pavement or on wet pavement. What I put on (and I'm sure I'll get a boatload of steamy stuff on fire for this) are Kenda K761's - because I needed to keep cost down at the time and wanted an 80/20 tire that would last a while. Turns out they were a decent choice. Almost 3K so far and they've got at least 2/3rds of their life left. Mostly pavement, lots of twisties, several hundred miles off pavement (mostly gravel roads) and I have no complaints.

Want the best combo tire with an emphasis on off-pavement - Continental TKC-80's ($$$$$$$).

I recommend that you DON'T replace the rear with something that is a mis-match for the front (just in case you were considering that).

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I recommend that you DON'T replace the rear with something that is a mis-match for the front (just in case you were considering that).

This is a good point; if I change tires then they both get swapped out. I am somewhat a tire whore and just buy whatever has a sale going on. Screw it...I'm not on the track...I'm on the road. Here are the different ones I have tried ranked in how I like them. If there is no sale, then I am buying Metzelers.

#1. Metzelers
#2. Michelin
#3&4 Pirelli
#3&4 Dunlop
#999,999,999,999,999,999,999 - Avons and that is only if all the other tire manufactures have died a violent and fiery death - then I might buy a pair again.

ivar

TT Racer
oh, c'mon Tang, tell us how you really feel about the Avons :D

On my bonnie, I've tried
- stock Bridgestone BT45's - didn't like them much, they hunted down every groove in the road.
- Dunlop GT501's - felt very planted all the way to they were wore out
- Metz Tourance , my first D/S tire. Sticks pretty good to tarmac and decent on gravel

SMCD

Scooter
I just slapped a pair of Michellin Pilot Road 3 on my Thruxton about a week ago. So far I love the hell out of them!! Super grippy and and good in wet pavement. And my local shop gave me an amazing deal on them. $ 260 bucks for two tubes, rim tape, and 160/80/17 in back and 120/70/18 in front.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I just slapped a pair of Michellin Pilot Road 3 on my Thruxton about a week ago. So far I love the hell out of them!! Super grippy and and good in wet pavement. And my local shop gave me an amazing deal on them. $ 260 bucks for two tubes, rim tape, and 160/80/17 in back and 120/70/18 in front.

I agree! I have the pilots on my Bonnie for about three weeks now and I am loving the hell out of them! They might even pass the Metzelers on by which is shocking to me as I have been a big fan of that tire for a few years now. What is best is that the only reason I bought the Michelins is because they were on sale but I think this one might be a keeper!

Old_Eric

Scooter
Michelin Anakee 2s are very good tyres. I've done some 13000 kms on the back tyre and 20000 kms on the front.