Motorcycle Companies and Economic Crisis

KingBear

Hooligan
With things the way they are in the economic world it's no surprise that motorcycle companies are struggling. Here's what some companies are doing to stay afloat during these tough times. (Digested from various news reports)...

Ducati management take voluntary pay cut
The bosses at Ducati, the Italian maker of racing motorcycles riden by world champion Nicky Hayden, have taken a 10 percent pay cut and given up their future bonuses in view of the economic crisis.

Warren Buffett agreed to buy $300 million of debt issued by motorcycle-maker Harley-Davidson Inc. earlier this week through his group Berkshire Hathaway Inc., based in Omaha, Nebraska.
Many financial experts see the move as a much needed cash injection for Harley-Davidson's financing arm which helps buyers finance new motorcycle purchases at dealerships. Harley-Davidson Financial Services (HDFS), the consumer lending arm at Harley, needs about $1 billion in funding this year to continue providing new motorcycle loans to its customers. It also has a $500 million bank advance due in March.

Motorcycle company teams up with finance company to offer would-be buyers loan options
GE Money, a division of GE Capital, and American Suzuki Motor Corporation have announced a multi-year agreement to provide consumer financing for its motorcycles, all terrain vehicles and scooters. The Suzuki Installment Finance program, managed by GE Money’s Sales Finance unit, offers consumers an easy, convenient way to finance Suzuki powersports products.

Victory Motorcycles Now Offering Five-Year Warranties On Its Entire Product Line
The limited time offer and transferable warranty program is valid for any new and unregistered Victory Motorcycle, and is a full-coverage program inclusive of the whole motorcycle. Motorcycles sold after January 1, 2009 will be retroactively included in this program.
The industry’s only full-line 5-year limited warranty available on all new Victory Motorcycles. The five-year coverage consists of 48 months POLARISTAR ESC coverage in addition to the Victory 12-month Factory Limited Warranty for a total of 5 Years. The ESC carries a standard $50 Deductible with no mileage limitation.

Big Dog Motorcycles chills with sales incentives
While retail stores may steal the headlines by slashing prices, the motorcycle world is seeing its own fair share of sales to entice would-be buyers.
Big Dog Motorcycles has launched an all-new retail incentive which provides new buyers manufacturer’s cash allowances of up to $4,000 on remaining new 2008 and 2007 models.

When all else fails, deny deny, deny...
Motorcycle engine manufacturer S&S Cycle denies troubled rumors
S&S Cycle released a press release to address any rumors that may have started with the auctioning of several pieces of manufacturing equipment.
'Like other companies in the manufacturing industry, S&S has conducted layoffs, and is selling excess equipment. “These are appropriate measures that we took in response to the slowing economy” says CEO George Smith. Smith went on to say “people may not be aware of this, but while we are clearing out some of our machinery, we are also investing in new machines, and increasing our efficiency and overall capability.”

Yamaha announced they will halt production for ten days at 11 manufacturing facilities around the world over the next two months.
BMW posted a .6% increase in US sales last year against an decrease of 7% for motorcycle sales in the US overall. Honda motorcycle sales were up year over year worldwide, though that also had nothing to do with North America or Japan, where unit sales were down 26.5% and 18.5%.

rodburner

Rocker
Wow,$4000 off a BigDog.That brings them down to a svelte THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS !
I paid $24,000 for my HOUSE.

JEnfield

Street Tracker
According to the Zuki dealer ship that sells Triumphs here in Delaware you will have to have 800 plus credit to get anything less then 16% interest on anything threw GE. I have a credit score of 764 and couldn't get a loan for a new tiger two weeks ago under 12% threw Triumph so they are all screwing the buyer I got my Bonneville at 2.9 a year and a half ago. GE took it up the ass in the stock market fall and are trying to stick it up the poor brainless buyer now unless they lower the interest rate no one with any sence will buy a zuki or a triumph.

Jimmy

mrt202

Street Tracker
I got 2.9 this past June through GE.
Enough bragging already, i'm getting a headache. I'm getting hammered so hard on interest and rate hikes that i'm considering bankruptcy! I would hate to do it but just damn! Can't gain any ground with them fuckers!:finger:

KingBear

Hooligan
I'll get by with a little help from my friends, and of course the President...

President Promises Savings to Buyers of New Motorcycles, RVs
Reported by: Scott Hershberger
Monday, Feb 23, 2009 @ 07:33pm EST

NBC25 NEWS - President Barack Obama's stimulus bill will give buyers of new cars and trucks the chance to deduct their sales tax, but that's not all. Now RVs and motorcycles have been added to the list as well.

Sales consultants at Keystone RV in State Line say customers will get a deduction on the sales tax they'll pay on any new RV.

Eleven RV companies have closed in the United States in the past two years.

Buyers of motorcycles can deduct their sales tax as well.

"Anytime you're able to reduce the purchase price by any amount, that's going to help the customer or consumer purchase our products," said Mike Twigg, president and owner of Twigg Cycles in Hagerstown.

Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey lobbied to include the motorcycle tax cuts in President Obama's stimulus bill.

Many jobs have been lost in Pennsylvania due to cutbacks at Harley-Davidson.

KingBear

Hooligan
More about Yamaha...

Yamaha to cut 2009 Japan motorcycle output-Nikkei

NEW YORK, Feb 25 (Reuters) - Yamaha Motor Co Ltd will cut Japanese motorcycle output by 24 percent in 2009 to the lowest level in about four decades as demand drops and inventories build, the financial daily Nikkei said in its Thursday edition.

The paper said production this year should be slightly over 260,000 units.

It said Yamaha has already decided to shut its main assembly plant in Shizuoka Prefecture and the parts plants that feed it for 10 days in February and March to reduce output by 13,000 motorcycles, and it plans to negotiate with labor unions for more work stoppages in the second calendar quarter of 2009.

Nikkei said domestic inventories have risen as demand has dwindled during the economy's downturn, and inventories of motorcycles made for foreign markets have exploded. "Stockpiles of U.S.-bound products are up 50 percent from normal, while inventories of goods for Europe have ballooned to twice the usual levels," the paper said.

It said Yamaha hopes its production cuts will bring inventories back into line by year-end.

Nikkei said Yamaha business segments making products aimed at industrialized countries, including outboard motors, are expected to produce operating losses of over 50 billion yen ($514.1 million) in 2009.

It said Yamaha will consolidate engine operations and materials procurement to try to improve profitability.