lost power for a while ?

evil knievel

Scooter
My friend Adam from down the road now has his dads old bike.He gave it to him last week.Its a silver yamaha 750. Its a four piston motor.Its a 1981, but runs pretty good.Its a maximum ? I got brave and we went for a race on the old stretch of highway beside the airport. On the first race I hung right in behind him.But the next race, I lost power or some thing. I kept up for a while, and then he got way ahead of me really fast. Im not sure what to check on the bike.Its seems to run good still.
We are going to paint his bike red this weekend at his dads place.His dad restores old tractors and paints them to.

evil knievel

Scooter
Rev limiter

Did you hit the rev limiter? Scares the bjesus out of you-think you blew your engine

What is a rev limiter? Theres nothing wrong with the motor, it still runs good.My friend Adam did admit to me later, that he was just leading me on in the first race. He thought it was pretty funny. He really gassed it, on the second run.All this time I thought something happend.lol We just finished cutting the mufflers open on his yamaha.Holy man is that a sweet sound.It barks so loud you can hear him comming over to my place 3kms down the road.lol We were looking to see how to do mine, but the pipes are completly different.

whyme

TT Racer
I rev limiter is a device that shuts down your power for an instance if you get your RPMS too high. Stops blown engines....usually.

Easy13

Street Tracker
Maybe you actually met the limiter on that second run. What it does is pretty much shuts off the spark. If you don't have a tach on your bike, it's sort of a way to tell you it's time to shift gears...
Not too sure about '81 Yammy 750 4-bangers, but you may be on the short end if that old rice grinder's in good shape.

evil knievel

Scooter
fast bike

those old fours haul ass..

I took adams bike for a fast spin down the highway. His bike seems to have alot more power than mine. I'm surprised because its smaller than mine, onley 750cc. Well I guess Im starting to learn about street bikes now. Im trying to get Eric, my buddy from music class to get a bike so he can come riding to. We went and looked at one that had a for sale sighn on it.It was awfull big, ugly and old. 1977 suzuki somthing.The guy selling it called it a water buffalo lol!It smoked so much when he started it .I couldnt see the bike anymore, I'm not joking! He walked away laughing so hard, I could hardly see.

rodburner

Rocker
The Suzuki 750 'waterbuffalo" is a water cooled 2 stroke that in its day,would hang with any bike on the road.

oh,and don't get hung up with engine size. ANY new 600 4 banger will stomp our Bonnie's and your friends 750.

Last edited:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Looked up the specs for 1981 750 Maxim. Seca

Engine type: In-line four, four-stroke
Power: 82.00 HP (59.9 kW)) @ 9000 RPM
Top speed: 204.0 km/h (126.8 mph)
Compression: 9.2:1
Bore x stroke: 65.0 x 56.4 mm (2.6 x 2.2 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 2
Fuel control: DOHC
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Shaft drive (cardan)
Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Front tyre dimensions: 3.25-19
Rear tyre dimensions: 120/90-18
Front brakes: Dual disc
Rear brakes: Expanding brake
Physical measures and capacities
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 241.0 kg (531.3 pounds)
Fuel capacity: 18.00 litres (4.76 gallon

20 more HP is your answer.

Last edited:

evil knievel

Scooter
water bike

The Suzuki 750 'waterbuffalo" is a water cooled 2 stroke that in its day,would hang with any bike on the road.

oh,and don't get hung up with engine size. ANY new 600 4 banger will stomp our Bonnie's and your friends 750.

I had no idea that those old bikes were fast like that. No wonder it smoked so much, its a 2 stroke motor. I still dont like it. He wanted 300 dollars, but it needs a battery and tires really, really bad. I think the bike was left out side along time, the paint is all crapy and the chrome is all rusty, and the seat is all taped up.

evil knievel

Scooter
wow

Looked up the specs for 1981 750 Maxim. Seca

Engine type: In-line four, four-stroke
Power: 82.00 HP (59.9 kW)) @ 9000 RPM
Top speed: 204.0 km/h (126.8 mph)
Compression: 9.2:1
Bore x stroke: 65.0 x 56.4 mm (2.6 x 2.2 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 2
Fuel control: DOHC
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Shaft drive (cardan)
Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Front tyre dimensions: 3.25-19
Rear tyre dimensions: 120/90-18
Front brakes: Dual disc
Rear brakes: Expanding brake
Physical measures and capacities
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 241.0 kg (531.3 pounds)
Fuel capacity: 18.00 litres (4.76 gallon

20 more HP is your answer.

Boy thats really impressive.I can hardly wait to show Adam.

sportyone

Street Tracker
I had no idea that those old bikes were fast like that. No wonder it smoked so much, its a 2 stroke motor. I still dont like it. He wanted 300 dollars, but it needs a battery and tires really, really bad. I think the bike was left out side along time, the paint is all crapy and the chrome is all rusty, and the seat is all taped up.

you sound pretty young and nieve, I maybe wrong, if so I'm sorry but, perhaps you should learn to ride slower at first and learn more about the bike you have, before you start cutting up mufflers etc, make your bike a good safe reliable bike first, as it is not just about noise IMHO or you will come a real gutzer ! :d

whyme

TT Racer
yeah....and then you can get a chick like sportyone has!! (see the Babes on bikes NSFW section). You may decide to agree with sportyone.

And if you are under age, ask your mother before looking at that thread. Good luck with the bikes...take it easy and be safe!