Ignition units

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Did I see a link to some good ignition units somewhere?

My 06 T100 is starting to run a bit crook and I think by what has been mentioned on other threads that the unit may be on the way out. It cuts out at lights sometimes if waiting a little too long (Idle is high enough), it sometimes just cuts out suddenly when riding but doesn't stop the bike sort of like a big miss, It will sometimes just start burbling / soft back firing when backing off, sometimes when you go to rev it to back down a gear it gives a cough and backfire but no actual rev and sometimes when going slow it feels like it is running on one cylinder...it just feels real doughy until you pick some revs up. These are all "sometimes" issues the rest of the time it runs great and starts great. I also noticed this morning that my headlight was going bright one minute then slightly dull the next.

Do you think this sounds like it could be the ignition unit or maybe something else or could it be a regulator going as well??

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
It could be your CDI; the one on my '06 fried and had some of the characteristics that you are describing in your post

drlapo

Hooligan
have your battery load tested
check the rectifier.regulator output
voltage fluctuations will cause the ignitor to do strange things
also check your spark plug caps: 5000 ohms

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Yeah, the R/R will cause a lot of what you're seeing. I already had to replace mine, and I have an '07.

Plenty of plug-and-play replacements out there, and they're reasonably inexpensive.

ivar

TT Racer
I also noticed this morning that my headlight was going bright one minute then slightly dull the next.

brighter than normal? Then I suspect the rectifier/regulator. If normal brightness, then going dull, Then I'd check all connections first

Most of your symptoms re: poor running at lower rpms reminds me of a 71 BSA I tried which had inadequate charging, when battery voltage dropped below 11 volts it ran like crap

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Yeah, the R/R will cause a lot of what you're seeing. I already had to replace mine, and I have an '07.

Plenty of plug-and-play replacements out there, and they're reasonably inexpensive.

Yup. Get a MOSFET one, they run cooler.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
WOW Everything went belly up the other day. I swapped over the ignition unit with my Thruxton to see if I could eliminate the stopping at lights problem and I rode for a while to see how things went. Week after so far so good. Went out to the bike after work, (It had been raining) and the bike started but ran like shit, back firing, one cylinder coughing, so I threw it into gear and started to ride and by the time I was out of the gate it came good. Next day after work no start...nothing at the button, but it did give a bit of loud click sound at the relay so I got a pair of pliers and jumped the relay terminals and it started no problem, switched it off and it continued to start no worries.

The next week on Monday (Last Monday just gone) it Rained again same thing it run like shit ??? Thinking thinking....possibly plug leads getting wet ...nah surely not??? Maybe the pods are getting water in them and the bike is sucking in a bit of water so it runs like shit and then it comes good. ...maybe?? Tuesday next day.... no start again....started it with pliers but this time when I got it home it would just click the relay so I swapped relays but still the same until it was a very weak start at the relay with pliers until nothing. Checked the battery and voltage 11.3 sitting and charging at revs no more then 12.9....regulator or alternator?? Put in a spare battery at 12.9 volts sitting and it started up no worries and charging at revs 13.9 so my battery is a dud but a long time dying.

My headlights are all nice and bright again I would say I had just gotten use to it dulling off over time but hadn't noticed it but I had noticed it and the taillight to be very sensitive to brightening up with revs. I have never before experienced a battery that has taken so long to die normally it is just good one start, get to where you are going, and ......DEAD. Problem is two days latter it stopped running at the lights again twice?? So something dicky is still going on.

Last edited:
WOW Everything went belly up the other day. I swapped over the ignition unit with my Thruxton to see if I could eliminate the stopping at lights problem and I rode for a while to see how things went. Week after so far so good. Went out to the bike after work, (It had been raining) and the bike started but ran like shit, back firing, one cylinder coughing, so I threw it into gear and started to ride and by the time I was out of the gate it came good. Next day after work no start...nothing at the button, but it did give a bit of loud click sound at the relay so I got a pair of pliers and jumped the relay terminals and it started no problem, switched it off and it continued to start no worries.

The next week on Monday (Last Monday just gone) it Rained again same thing it run like shit ??? Thinking thinking....possibly plug leads getting wet ...nah surely not??? Maybe the pods are getting water in them and the bike is sucking in a bit of water so it runs like shit and then it comes good. ...maybe?? Tuesday next day.... no start again....started it with pliers but this time when I got it home it would just click the relay so I swapped relays but still the same until it was a very weak start at the relay with pliers until nothing. Checked the battery and voltage 11.3 sitting and charging at revs no more then 12.9....regulator or alternator?? Put in a spare battery at 12.9 volts sitting and it started up no worries and charging at revs 13.9 so my battery is a dud but a long time dying.

My headlights are all nice and bright again I would say I had just gotten use to it dulling off over time but hadn't noticed it but I had noticed it and the taillight to be very sensitive to brightening up with revs. I have never before experienced a battery that has taken so long to die normally it is just good one start, get to where you are going, and ......DEAD. Problem is two days latter it stopped running at the lights again twice?? So something dicky is still going on.

Is your bike idleing strong, then out of no where there's a burp thru one of the carbs and the bike dies? This is what's been happening to me. I thought maybe I had an air leak on the intake on the right side (since this was the side that was 'burping'). But before I tried sqirting carb cleaner to try and identify a leak, I tried turning my idle mixture screw out 1/2 turn to 3.0 turns out. Haven't had a problem since. So I'm thinking it may be the passages on the idle mixture screws are a little restricted. I'm going to try cleaning them out, set the screw back to 2.5 turns out and see if my problem is solved. :Fingers crossed:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Blues4bread: 2dogs problem is pretty clearly electrical. Dies, won't start, etc. That's not just a mixture screw thing.

normandy

Street Tracker
I think it could also be the stator but change the R/R first as it is the cheapest and easiest part to try. If you undo the stator plug, you can multi-test each of the 3 pins to ground and with each of the 3 phases. The procedure is laid out well in the Haynes.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Blues4bread: 2dogs problem is pretty clearly electrical. Dies, won't start, etc. That's not just a mixture screw thing.

Mine idles well enough, like not too high or low but it does give a backfire sometimes when backing down the gears when you give it a little bit of a rev (but because of the back fire the engine doesn't actually rev) but the backfire is not enough to stop it.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Yes. Replace it before you kill another battery.

With the other fully charged battery fitted the charging is now at 13.9 volts @ 4000rpm so wouldn't that mean the charging system is working and the regulator is ok or should the charging voltage be higher? I do have a r/r that I can trial fit from my Thrux but if the resultant charge is the same would I really need to replace it??

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
With the other fully charged battery fitted the charging is now at 13.9 volts @ 4000rpm so wouldn't that mean the charging system is working and the regulator is ok or should the charging voltage be higher? I do have a r/r that I can trial fit from my Thrux but if the resultant charge is the same would I really need to replace it??

You reported that your charging voltage at revs on the previous battery was only 12.9. That charging voltage is a function of the charging circuit, not the battery. An erratic charging circuit (sometimes charging 12.9, sometimes 13.9, etc.) is a sign that something in that circuit is effed up. As others have stated, the R/R is the easiest/cheapest place to start, if that doesn't solve problem then it's stator issues on the alternator.

Get all that stuff sorted and *then* worry about the jetting - your description of the popping on decel is also consistent with "just a tad lean", and is not connected to the charging voltage issue.

Good luck man!

RJRR

moped
Last year on my 01 Bonne with 22,000 miles on it I chased a similar problem for two months.Finally it would not start at all. Died dead at a stop light on both holes. New pick up, carbs cleaned and even put on a Procom cdi. Found the coils were going.As soon as I installed some Nology coils it fired right up and has been running flawless for near 5000 miles.

Last edited: