HT Ignition Coil Failure

Motley

750cc
This post is simply an FYI and hopefully will add to the knowledge base of this fine forum.

My '05 Thruxton, at about 60,000km, on occassion began missing on deceleration. Once or twice it just simply "sat down", quit, died, there was power but no ignition. Generally though, it ran well. I had ridden the bike on Friday afternoon without issue. On Saturday afternoon it would not start. It turned over but would not fire.

Testing for ignition, with a spare sparkplug inserted into one, then the other, plug caps, I found no spark on either side. I tested the resistance of the pickup coil at 564 ohms, a good condition. BTW, the pickup coil plug is a biotch to get at. I tested the HT primary coil at 0.6 ohms, another good condition. I tested the secondary HT coil and found no (zero) measurable resistance (should be 15K ohm). I tested the HT leads (plug leads) separately and found each at 5K ohm, a good condition. The high tension, secondary coil of the OEM (Gill) ignition coil has failed. The coil must needs to be replaced.

Anyway, there you are. I searched this forum and that ratnet place for clues to the problem finding this forum to have the best references. I'm just adding words to the search function should anyone need help in future. If you need further explanation, or photos perhaps, just ask.