Hard starting when hot.

rbird

moped
I bought a 2012 Bonneville SE this summer that had only ~400 miles on it. I really love the bike, and the fact that I can touch the ground with both feet when I come to a stop! My problem is that after the bike is warmed up and ridden for a while if I stop some where for a break and go to start it again after it's sat for a bit the bike is really hard to start and acts like it's flooded. Is this just a mapping problem and if so is there a update for it? No engine mods yet so that's not the problem. Any answers for this?

drlapo

Hooligan
does it stall when you come to a stop? it sounds like the stepper motor is dirty or stuck
it should be a simple fix
it needs to be cleaned and reset by your dealer

if it is hard to restart after its warmed up it may be your technique. do not touch the throttle or the "choke" knob
but again it could be the stepper motor not resetting itself
have the dealer check it with the Triumph "tool"

Last edited:

Demar

Two Stroke
My 2010 started to do the same thing after I removed the air injection. If I tried to start it after it was fully warm and then stopped for 10 minutes or so it would act like it's flooded. After about 30 minutes of sitting it would start normally. I was guessing it is some kind of vapor lock. I don't know what it is.

I now pull the choke out to the first stop when starting after a short stop and it starts right away. The choke can be immediately pushed in after starting.

rbird

moped
Thanks for the replies. I don't give it any throttle when I restart it so I'll try to remember to pull the "choke" out one stop.

rbird

moped
Rode yesterday and pulled the choke out after stoping and it started fine. I will be doing that from now on. Thanks again for the tips.

The manual states that when you start the bike from cold use the choke to the second stop. When you start the bike from warm use the choke to the first stop. Do not touch the throttle, just key the starter.
I used to have the same problem but since I followed the above procedure have had no problems. :)

PieMan

Two Stroke
A section from the owners manual for the starting procedure, page 46:

• If the engine is cold, pull out the choke, noting the following: Above 25°C air temperature, pull out the choke to the first position. Below 25°C air temperature, pull out the choke fully.
• If the engine is partly warm, pull out the choke to the first position.
• Leaving the throttle completely closed, push the starter button until the engine starts

I've found that the choke requires to be pulled out to the first indent even with a hot engine and then pushed in after 2-3 seconds for a good idle.