Front End Hebejeebies

RGThruxon

Scooter
Hello all,

New to the site and so far so good. I have a question for all of you more experienced riders out there.

I have a 2008 Thruxton with a shade over 5,000 miles on it. About a month before I put the bike up for the winter the front end starts to shake when I take my hands off the bars to stretch out a bit. It doesn't really matter how fast I'm going whether it's over 60 or under 30 or anywhere in between. I've checked the rear tire alignmnet and the adjusting screws both measure out as equal. I've also checked the front end and everything seems to be tight.

Any Ideas? Would a steering damper help out?

Thanks in advance

BillTheCat

Scooter
RG it is time for the 5000 mi service anyhow let the dealer check it out.
Tell them this is unacceptable and you want it fixed.

Your front tire may be cupped, and needs to be replaced.
Or, it could be out of balance.
If you have spokes, check that the wheel is true.
That's all I can think of for now,
Uncle Charlie

RGThruxon

Scooter
Well Bill,

I'd like to tackle the service per the service manual myself. There's a ton to learn and I'm not going to learn anything by having somebody else do what I can do.

If there are special tools involved then I guess I'll have to have the dealer do the service. I'd like to tackle it since the weather up here sucks.

Uncle Chuck,

Tire pressure is good and no uneven wear on the tire from what I can see. I'll give the wheel a spin tonight and check the spokes to make sure they are all tight.

Thanks

Bonafide

NBR founder
5k miles on the stock tires? I'd go with Uncle Charlie's recommendation of new tires as it definitely sounds like some cupping. Remember tho, front end shakes can be something wrong with rear wheel alignment or a wheel out of balance. Just a thought, but I'd say replace those stock tires and see if that doesnt fix it.

I love my steering damper, but it's only coming into use during high speed sweepers/switch backs - where it eliminates wobbles caused from me leaning on the bike somewhere (peg, bar, etc) incorrectly. Adding one will not solve the problem you're describing.

drlapo

Hooligan
loose spokes in the rear wheel and your stock shocks are shot
at least that is what happened to my T140

mrt202

Street Tracker
Steering head bearings could be loose. Very tough to check by yourself. Put the bike up on a lift and get someone to hold her steady, then grab the bottom of the forks and pull on them. that's the best way i have found to check it. I had a nasty shimmy like you describe and thought my bearings were tight, but they weren't. Tightened them up a bit and the shimmy was gone! BTW, loose head bearings can cause a tire to cup rather quickly. Ask me how i know.:rolleyes:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I would first suspect the tires, mine was doing the same at my 5-6000 miles and new rubber fixed it. Haent heard from anyone really about steering head bearings but worth checking out or you will destroy a new tire. also ill repeat checking and double checking your rear wheel alignment

RGThruxon

Scooter
There is no uneven tire wear. The front spins true. From what I can gather the steering head is tight (but I'll need another body to really check it).

My guesses are, and in no particular order
1) wheelbearings need adjustment
2) steering head loose
3) rear wheel out of alignment
4) tire pressure, front and back.

I've got some investigating to do. Luckily it's January and riding season is still a few months away so, I have sometime to putz around with it.

Thanks

There is no uneven tire wear. The front spins true. From what I can gather the steering head is tight (but I'll need another body to really check it).

My guesses are, and in no particular order
1) wheelbearings need adjustment
2) steering head loose
3) rear wheel out of alignment
4) tire pressure, front and back.

I've got some investigating to do. Luckily it's January and riding season is still a few months away so, I have sometime to putz around with it.

Thanks

Man you can't adjust wheel bearings. If they are fucked , they're fucked...aint nothing that no amount of tightening on any part of the front or rear end that will fix that... You will notice wheel bearing play when you grasp the wheel at the top and bottom and move it back and forth in the direction of the axle. It is only a slight movement but you will feel a definite clunk clunk as you move from top to bottom back and forth. Remove the wheel and knock out and replace your bearings.

Steering head I would be checking. Thruxtons are nervous beasties in standard trim. Even with YSS rears, mine still walks and twitches in bumpy stuff and i wont be happy untill I get rid of the Lazer front tyre and get a steering damper and fork brace fitted. (Tuesday!!...whoo hoo)

Rear wheel alignment...you will feel that before you feel a head shake. It will want to drop into corners on one side and stand up on the other. If you are feeding the bike in and it continually wants to stand you will feel the oscillation through the bars. If it drops redilly into the other and you feel as if you cant stop it dropping thats another sign. Also, under hard acceleration you can put yourself into a tank slapper. Thats a biggy!!!...dont know if they have jigs where you are but its the only way to see if your wheels are running true and your adjusting marks are correctly stamped apart from the old string aligning method.

Tyre pressures are something that you should check every time you ride. I kid you not!...take the time and spend the money on a decent tyre gauge. Michelin make excellent gauges.

MTCW....

Cheers....

Bret.....:wave:

RGThruxon

Scooter
Blackson,

None of the stuff occurs what you are describing. When I'm riding with both hands/one hand on the bar I do not feel any type of ossilation in the bars, no other type of vibration.

I'm getting ready to hit the sack since I work tonight.

Again, thanks for the well informed replys.