fork paint

drlapo

Hooligan
has anyone removed the black paint from the lower fork legs?
chemical or sanding?
can the legs be polished?
had anyone painted them silver or a different color?

I have seen photos of bikes with "polished" lower legs but I'm looking for the best, eaziest, way to do it

Beachfinn

Scooter
I did mine with just sanding, you could use aluminum safe chemical also. then just work your way to finer grit paper, then steel wool and finish with a aluminum polish. Depending on how shiny you want them it only takes couple hours.

MOSES

750cc
aircraft paint remover `at O'riellys or most auto parts stores works great.
you will still have to do some sanding and polishing but alot easier that sanding it all.
careful around the seals !

Last edited:

BillTheCat

Scooter
aircraft paint remover `at O'riellys or most auto parts stores works great.
you will still have to do some sanding and polishing but alot easier that sanding it all.
careful around the seals !

+1......Same for me I taped the seals off just in case

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
After seeing how many dings the forks on my thrux have taken after 38,000 miles I put a "ruff" polish on this set - using 300 and then 400 grit and then polishing with wenols and an electric drill / cotton buffing wheel. They have a satin look - sanded all in one direction, but still appear "shiny". Takes a fraction of the time than trying to get a "mirror" polish on em. Easy to touch up the dings too.

CIMG1870.jpg

AceT100

Rocker
After seeing how many dings the forks on my thrux have taken after 38,000 miles I put a "ruff" polish on this set - using 300 and then 400 grit and then polishing with wenols and an electric drill / cotton buffing wheel. They have a satin look - sanded all in one direction, but still appear "shiny". Takes a fraction of the time than trying to get a "mirror" polish on em. Easy to touch up the dings too.

CIMG1870.jpg

How loud is that with those pipes?????

I really like the sprocket cover too.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
How loud is that with those pipes?????

I really like the sprocket cover too.

Cover = D9, pipes are D&D 2 into 2 so there are black megaphones on it now - sounds like any D&D street set-up, pipes were just hanging on the bike waiting for the mufflers to come - they sent chrome at first so I had to trade those back in for black.