Fitting the rear brake calliper on top

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Is there any advantage in fitting the rear calliper above of the swing arm instead of below. I have seen a bonnie converted to an adventurer / trail bike and I understood this to be for better protection but I have also seen a scrambler come thruxton come track bike with a similar conversion.

strokerlmt

I have it on top and although I ride in the rain maybe once a year I find the caliper stays cleaner up top........
LMT

JRMSR

Scooter
Yep that's the reason. Very little road debri and or water can accumulate in the caliper which can either score the rotor or diminish braking in the wet.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

strokerlmt

Nope, the only way the caliper could come in contact with the ground is, if you took it off and threw it on the ground.:)

http://store.discacciati.net/index....ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Cheers

Have to disagree.......I don't do off road....to old and brittle for that ......
A gent in town was 10 miles in on the dirt when he came down on a rock. He had a modified street bike and his caliper mounted on the bottom was bent into the rotor. Had to walk out......
LMT

JRMSR

Scooter
Unusual circumstances I suppose. Have dirt bikes with both, never had the problem with either, go figure. Most mounts will just break off or crack as they're nothing but pot metal or cast metal.

Cheers