fact or fiction?

sportyone

Street Tracker
Fact: all carb'd 865's have an 8,000rpm limit, it doesn't change between models.

Fact: Thrux pipes on a Bonnie 790 lose 1.5-2bhp off the top end compared to standard Bonnie pipes.

REALLY ??
Mike, I really respect your wisdom & experience, & your work on the Igniter's is outstanding, but unless that is something unique to 790 motors, it's really hard to understand ?

I notice, all the later model EFI's have the same pipes now as the carb'd Thrux ( the longer bend anyway ) & this post was originally about carb'd 865's bonnevilles & the fitting of Thrux pipes to them, not 790's as they are a different engine spec wise ? :shh:

soon as I am home again from hospital I am fitting a set, so we will all know then for sure ! I will keep you all posted. :)

Vendor
Fact: all carb'd 865's have an 8,000rpm limit, it doesn't change between models.

Fact: Thrux pipes on a Bonnie 790 lose 1.5-2bhp off the top end compared to standard Bonnie pipes.

Dear Mike;
Certain stock 865 igniters advertised by Triumph to rev 8200 RPM's it cuts at 7800 RPM's at the dyno ( been there than that many times before you play your magic in my igniters).

I will have to disagree in your second statement.
I pioneered the use of Thruxton headers on 790 Bonnevilles back in 2005, because they make more TQ and HP than stock Bonneville headers with Predators back then. I did countless dyno runs with both systems and the Thruxton headers out run the Bonneville headers by 3 HP at top end. My bike went from 62.7 to 65.9 RWHP, since then never looked back, until they showed that the wall was at over 100 RWHP on my 1087, but that's another story.

PieMan

Two Stroke
Fair enough guys, it is obviously FACT on my bike only, I'll dig deeper and find out why. I've deleted my spurious fact from the above text so as not to mislead anyone.

ivar

TT Racer
don't know why Triumph have always pushed the concept that the Thrux was the hotter of the two 865cc 360deg carb'd models, when it isn't true.

I believe its the marketing department that sees a need to differentiate between models and justify the higher price tag on "the premium model"

One thing thing that should give the Thrux a slight edge in performance though is the lighter alloy wheels...

sportyone

Street Tracker
I believe its the marketing department that sees a need to differentiate between models and justify the higher price tag on "the premium model"

One thing thing that should give the Thrux a slight edge in performance though is the lighter alloy wheels...

nah !

I believe the specs show they weigh pretty much the same :mad2:

RumRunner

Street Tracker
nah !

I believe the specs show they weigh pretty much the same :mad2:

The lighter rims should handle better, but I don't think there's enough difference between them in weight to see much difference. I think there's more difference in what the rider shovels down his throat in performance than anything else.

sportyone

Street Tracker
thruxton headers ?

well, I've done it !

yeap, I've just fitted a set of beautiful EFI Thruxton headers to my machine.

And they fit well with some slight mods to my Madaz silencers, but it's not too hard.

firstly the overall pipes are larger in diameter, perhaps slightly longer too !

the sound is more throaty, powerful & beautiful ! the engine feels smoother

and more powerful & runs away very quickly.

I am so happy and I just love burbling about again,

wonderful healing therapy.

if you are recovering from fairly major surgery,

go ride a triumph !

Kirkus51

Hooligan
The Thrux also has different steering geometry since the rear is higher and other bits and pieces like adjustable fork.