"Brittown" Review (Possible Spoilers)

Bonniebret

Rocker
So after much anticipation I finally finished watching "Brittown". I say finally finished because I've been watching it in chunks over the past four weekends. Not to be too snarky but I would just find myself getting bored and wanting to do something else.

The idea of the movie was good: Follow a guy who's into vintage Triumphs as he restores a 650 and get a behind the scenes glimpse of his life in the vintage bike culture in SoCal. The problem was the central character Meatball was boring, there was no story arch and no drama. He said he was going to build this bike and he did. The end. Everything fit, all the parts came on time, it started on the first kick, you know just like when we work on ours. And if you love parts where people visit machinists and get an on on-screen dissertation on valves this is for you.

I'm not saying that I need a two-hour episode of "American Chopper" but c'mon. Are you telling me that when you're building a bike with all your friends there's NO ball busting going on? Hell the stuff that goes on between my ears doing basic maintenance is more entertaining. (see "Just Balanced the Carbs") The fact is his friends seemed interesting. Actually more interesting but even they seemed at times too cool for school.

There were some great bikes and being from SoCal I enjoyed all the freeway shots through Orange County. Overall it's worth renting to see the bikes and get ideas but other than that...

Did anyone else that saw it feel the same?

Oxblood

750cc
Personally I can do without the culture just dig the bikes and cars. I've got my eye on a 650 commando basket case for my next bike.

Oxblood

750cc
My bad 72 750 Commando. I just hate all the people that dress up like a bunch of goons so they can go hang out with other people dressed up like goons telling each other how cool their shit is.

:)

Last edited:

Oxblood

750cc
I didn't mean to come across as attacking your review. I think it's very well thought out and am glad I didn't buy the dvd from what you have said. I'm into bikes, old cars and music in general but loath going to car shows and music joints because of how ridiculous it has gotten. Dieseltiki is supposed to showcase my photography and my wife's art but she's been living at school for the last 6 months and I've been too lazy to take pictures so I thought I would throw up videos from shows I've been going to.

72 commando if I can ever get the guy to give me a price

--Oxblood

koifarm

Hooligan
Saw the movie about six months ago, ho hum....wouldn't rent it again, or for that matter, watch it again. It was entertaining, funny in parts and boring in others, some nice bikes here and there and some scenes of the LA area a few good riding scenes and lots of biker bonding.......

Bonniebret

Rocker
I totally hear where you're coming from. Likewise it was just a funny observation. No offense taken at all and might I add that I really like your photography.

Iceseven

750cc
I liked it, have watched it several times. I thought the concept was good as far as following a regular guy rebuild his Triumph and the SoCal infatuation with vintage bikes. There just are not a lot of videos out there that cover vintage Triumphs.